$120M Choose Your Own Theme XXI Topic

We are back for the 20th season of this theme-themed theme.

Sometimes, themes out there can be overly restrictive, complicated, or just not interesting. Or sometimes you get an idea for a theme, but you know it would be nearly impossible or simply too boring to fill an entire league around that one theme idea. In this league, you get to avoid all those problems because you're the one choosing your theme, and no one else can use it.

Build a team entirely of guys named Dick, an all-franchise squad, (almost) anything you want. If you want to pick a theme that uses some randomized variables, I'll be happy to do the randomization for you to get started.

League # sitemailed after signing up your theme

$120M Cap
No AAA
No DH
No Waiver Wire
No trades
No clones (unless your theme specifically involves clones)
Injuries on
Standard 24-team schedule
Any stadium

Additional rules:

Themes must affect all 25 players on your roster. No offense-only or pitching-only themes.
No stat-restriction themes will be allowed. So nothing like "All my hitters will hit over .330 and my pitchers will have OAVs under .200". Your team should have an actual theme and not just stat restrictions.

Describe your theme details when signing up so I can Ok it and verify rosters more easily...I'll reserve the right to deny a theme if it offers virtually no restrictions at all (For example: "My team will not have any players named Zeke" is not a reasonable theme).

Please try to choose a team name that somehow identifies your theme.

Feel free to get creative or crazy. Have some fun and good luck to all who play...

Wall of Champions
I - Pfattkatt (Triples Theme)
II - Pfattkatt (Deadball Players Theme) 2-time champ
III - Skunk206 (All names had Mc, O', or -son)
IV - Skunk206 (All players shared a last name with a HOFer from another sport)
V - thurst63 (All hitters had fewer than 10 HR, all pitchers allowed fewer than 10 HR)
VI - josiah31 (All left-handed players)
VII - alleyviper (All players are former MVPs, Cy Youngs, RotYs and Rolaids Relief winners)
VIII - Skunk206 (All players cloned except the 25th man - "Walternates")
IX - uncleal (All players from seasons ending in 8)
X - dweigel (All players played their entire career for one franchise)
XI - Skunk206 (All players from Chicago franchises)
XII - alston (Franchise soup)
XIII - jbar8888 (All batter first names and pitcher last names start with J, B, A, or R)
XIV - finn2030 (All players were 6'1" per bb-r.com)
XV - ozomatli (All players from cities where ozomatli has lived (New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Los Angeles)
XVI - ozomatli (All players must have a last name that begins with a letter in his first name (Michael))
XVII - ozomatli (All players played for 4 or more franchises in their career)
XVIII - 2chair (All players born, died, or buried in Missouri or Ohio)
XIX - ozomatli (All players were traded mid-season, twisted to any year of their career) 4-time champ
XX - Skunk206 (All players had a first or last name not shared by anyone else in MLB history) 5-time champ
XXI - celticus (All players from 1900-1919)

TOC Champs
Season IV - Skunk206
Season XIII - jbar8888
Season XX - Skunk206

Owners and their themes
*1. Skunk206 - All players' first names end in Y
*2. zorse - "Chicks with Dicks" - All players have a girly name or a euphemism for the male member
*3. alston - All players born in November
*4. dweigel - All players from seasons ending in the same random number (3)
*5. clocktower - All players from Big Apple franchises
*6. dodgebob - All players from Boston franchises
*7. 2chair - "Johnny B Goode" - All players born, died, or played in 1958 (twisted), the year Johnny B Goode was released
*8. hacker7 - "Prodigal Sons" - All players from the LA Dodgers or SF Giants, come back to play in Ebbets in NY
*9 - flakfizer - TBD - All player first names will start with T, B, or D and at least one of the other letters will appear somewhere in the player name
*10 - cdhaynes00 - All Latino players
*11 - sohio4ever - All players were named in the Mitchell Report
*12 - celticus - 20 years of the deadball era: All players from 1900-1919
*13 - joerat1 - All players named Joe, or a variation thereof
*14 - tycho88 - "Generation eXcelsior" - All players born between 1-1-65 and 12-31-80
*15 - finn2030 - All players will weigh 185 lbs, according to their baseball-reference.com profile page
*16 - rufus4ever - "7th US Cavalry" - All players from seasons ending in 7
*17 - fatboydad54 - One player from each season between 1930 (father's birth year) to 1954 (FBD's birth year)
*18 - Wonder Boys - All New York Giants from 1885-1957 in the Polo Grounds
*19 - burningcouch - All players under 6 feet tall
*20 - gbgentry - All players from the 1990's Braves and White Sox
*21 - mussopini23 - Nationality meets ROY, CY & MVP w/ a twist
*22 - kern_82 - All players were either born, died, or attended college in New Jersey
*23 - doctorcc - All players from 1982 (the year Prince released 1999) to 1999. Play in the Metrodome.
*24 - schwarze - "Old and New" - No players from the 1900's. Only 1885-1899 and 2000-2016 represented.
7/21/2017 3:18 PM (edited)
I'll try all players from Big Apple franchises.
5/5/2017 7:15 PM
Triples at Petco: all starting position players are in the top 20 of triples in a season. Team plays at Petco
5/5/2017 7:21 PM
Ok my all black guy team took a nose dive in the second half last season so I guess ill try all white guys this time and let me pre-save a spot for the season after with an all Latin team.
5/5/2017 8:33 PM
In response to the hahf-ahst gump buildin' a team from the Armpit of America. I'm bout to drop the clicka, get off the hopper, head down the packie to pick up a road soda and some scratchies, and then build me a team that's the shiz. May need to pull an ova-nihta, but that's okay cuz I can hit the Cumby's in the mornin' for a Hoodsie with jimmies then bang a yu-ee to grab a large regulah at Dunks 'fore headin' for home to finish this wicked pissa team.
With Yaz and Dewey knockin' it off the Monstah and Petey trowin' pebbles in the bubblah, this team should be done by suppah.
Representin' Southie, Dot, and the Rox, all the riches on the North Shore, and any townie that evah drove tru The Ted!
Go Sawks!
5/5/2017 10:45 PM
Yes, I feel dumber for having written that.
But I feel smarter than you, because I know what it means.

Quick translation: I'm in with an all Boston roster. Yankees Suck!
5/5/2017 10:48 PM
Johnny B. Goode released in 1958. Every player born died or played in 1958 according to Baseball Reference twisted to any season in his career.
5/5/2017 11:14 PM (edited)
New York Prodigals - All players from LA Dodgers or SF Giants. Ebbets Field - where they belong!!
5/6/2017 6:45 AM
Make that Prodigal Sons
5/6/2017 6:55 AM
Quarter Century & 24 Year Wannabees:

Very few players played 24 or 25 years. C-OF must be one of these.(8)
Balance of position players= Any amount of seasons but must be valued between 200K-3M

Pitchers;
SP-Same rules apply (24-25)
RP=Must have less than 150 IP & cost 200K-2.5M
5/6/2017 10:26 AM
I'm in, theme TBD.
5/6/2017 2:50 PM
skunk, if you would be so kind as to randomize for me, I'll chose all players from seasons ending in the same year (e.g., 6).
5/6/2017 6:21 PM
Thanks for the sign-ups guys. I'll get everything updated and the league number sent tomorrow.
5/6/2017 11:10 PM
I've sitemailed everybody whose themes didn't quite fit the posted rules. League numbers coming for everyone else...
5/7/2017 11:32 AM
For dweigel...

Here are your random numbers:

Timestamp: 2017-05-07 15:35:02 UTC

5/7/2017 11:38 AM
123 Next ▸
$120M Choose Your Own Theme XXI Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.