$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

Posted by milest on 5/15/2017 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Penn is going to win a lot of games, and make a lot of you look bad for your critiques...
Well....

-I am "WIS famous" for not being able to win with LeBron and Curry in a draft league. GL with making me look worse than that.

-I hope Penn doesn't feel I like I am trying to embarrass him or anything like that. I am just speaking from experience regarding the AST% bump, draft league, Hill/Rose strategy.

-I am willing to pay for a team for Penn in Scattagories if he wins two playoff games.

5/15/2017 7:06 PM
Also, different league, but for what it's worth, Grant Hill hasn't been selected in the first 5 rounds of the last 3 ODLs. (I unfortunately don't keep as detailed records in the 52)

I remember drafting Hill before the knowledge of the AST% bump and being laughed at. He was once thought to be a poisonous as Isiah Thomas.
5/15/2017 7:14 PM
I sent a text to my friend (who got me into this whole whatifsports mess so many years ago) with my starting lineup. He sent back a one word response: Windex.
5/15/2017 9:53 PM
159 ast% is going to make his efg a lot better than you guys think.. I don't like Rose, and I don't think he did a perfect job drafting- not at all- but I think he will be a playoff team, tbh... The ast% strategy works.. I know it works better in non-draft leagues, when u can pick and choose, but getting 159 ast% in a draft league is pretty impressive in its own right... And I wasn't trying to take any personal shots at you Sukow- nothing personal... BTW- my first ever draft league ($52M), I had built what I know know to be a pretty nice lineup through the first 3 rounds, only to get fascinated by Grant Hill in the 4th.. Then I changed my overall strategy for that particular draft--- and I ended up with Wilt and a championship in my 2nd season., LOL!!! I screwed up in the 5th & 6th as well, so it was't just the HIll pick- but I feel you on the 'poison' label... But the reason Hill is 'poison' is bc he takes a lot of shots at a relatively low efg% and a relatively low FT%.. The ast boost strat will increase his efg by 3-5 points- which makes him a legitimate $52M player.. A very good one.. I could be wrong here... I agree with you guys as far as he could have done a better job of drafting- I do-- But I think he will still surprise some of you guys with his win total.... I could be total wrong- I can fully admit that...
5/15/2017 10:02 PM (edited)
I don't have any idea what his win total will be, this league is a crap shoot, I just know that there were better options at several turns of the wheel
5/15/2017 11:07 PM
Posted by copernicus on 5/15/2017 11:07:00 PM (view original):
I don't have any idea what his win total will be, this league is a crap shoot, I just know that there were better options at several turns of the wheel
I agree with all of that. LOL
5/15/2017 11:09 PM
It all makes for a fun discussion. When you are as mediocre at this as I am, the discussion is The best part.
5/16/2017 12:09 AM
Posted by milest on 5/15/2017 10:22:00 PM (view original):
I do have a question, since you said you'd be available for Q&A..... What G available at the 4/5 turn (I had Vancem's 4th & 5th round picks) do you think would have been better than Robertson... Hard to find a better defender than his 91... His efg is 51,8%.. Not great, but not that bad... 79 FT% with a decent amount of attempt.. High TOs- but more steals than TOs- which I think is a positive- not a negative. Enough asts to keep me where I need to be.... 20% Creb- not bad for a guard- not great- but pretty good- and needed for this team... Basically- a bad defender wouldn't have been ideal next to Porter. I didn't need 3s- I have 416 made, and I made the finals 2 seasons ago with around 350... A player with fewer asts wouldn't have been ideal... A player with few FTM wouldn't have been ideal... I player with fewer TOs would be nice.. But I feel like a steals/TO ratio is much more important and relevant than ast/TO ratio- it determines how many possessions you give up and how many extra possessions you create.. Not many have a 'positive' ratio- Alvin does.... Alvin commits a ton of fouls- That is a negative that I can fully admit too... My team overall will commit a ton of fouls- but I also drafted a lot of FTM.. Anyway- I'd like to ask the question- 'who available was a better fit than that'?, while making the case that--- I highly doubt there was actually a better fit available...
Ultimately it's subjective, but I think there are a few options that went undrafted that I like more. I'll edit when we're live.
5/16/2017 1:17 PM

11. copernicus - Chris Paul, Elton Brand, Dikembe Mutombo, Andre Kirilenko, Emeka Okafor, Marcin Gortat, Gerald Green I like this team. Spread out strong D, a supporting cast for CP3- I’m assuming you’re going to use the big USG season for him…this will be interesting. I wonder if there’s enough scoring after CP and Brand. Light on threes outside of Green. Wins: Probably the best defense in the league. Misses: Potentially scoring, and extending the offense to the perimeter. Likely playoff team.

great evals - thanks Mikee1

I'm afraid you may be right about usage - while my starters add up to 15 points I'm probably at risk of hitting the individual penalty - keeping my fingers crossed since most of my dudes are low TOV - will be interesting to see what 1100 blocks and all that D will do

5/16/2017 2:14 PM
"Misses: Defense is average- at best. "

youre too kind mike...i woulda have went with tuurrrible

thanks for the evals
5/16/2017 5:30 PM
Posted by mikee1 on 5/16/2017 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by milest on 5/15/2017 10:22:00 PM (view original):
I do have a question, since you said you'd be available for Q&A..... What G available at the 4/5 turn (I had Vancem's 4th & 5th round picks) do you think would have been better than Robertson... Hard to find a better defender than his 91... His efg is 51,8%.. Not great, but not that bad... 79 FT% with a decent amount of attempt.. High TOs- but more steals than TOs- which I think is a positive- not a negative. Enough asts to keep me where I need to be.... 20% Creb- not bad for a guard- not great- but pretty good- and needed for this team... Basically- a bad defender wouldn't have been ideal next to Porter. I didn't need 3s- I have 416 made, and I made the finals 2 seasons ago with around 350... A player with fewer asts wouldn't have been ideal... A player with few FTM wouldn't have been ideal... I player with fewer TOs would be nice.. But I feel like a steals/TO ratio is much more important and relevant than ast/TO ratio- it determines how many possessions you give up and how many extra possessions you create.. Not many have a 'positive' ratio- Alvin does.... Alvin commits a ton of fouls- That is a negative that I can fully admit too... My team overall will commit a ton of fouls- but I also drafted a lot of FTM.. Anyway- I'd like to ask the question- 'who available was a better fit than that'?, while making the case that--- I highly doubt there was actually a better fit available...
Ultimately it's subjective, but I think there are a few options that went undrafted that I like more. I'll edit when we're live.
First person off the top of my head is Wesley Person.

without looking at stats, he's a slightly inferior rebounder (13% creb), defender (83) and doesn't have as many FTA...but I'll take the 180 more 3PM and ultra clean game. I think Wes fits your team better.

Either way, good luck this season!
5/19/2017 12:10 PM
Danny Green?
5/19/2017 12:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12
$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.