$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

PG: Kyle Lowry
SG: Dr. J / Roddy Beaubois
SF: Horace Grant / Antonio McDyess
PF: Buck Williams / Antonio McDyess
C: Moses Malone

5/14/2017 10:47 PM
?Pasted the rosters from thomcat's summary- thanks for saving me some work! I'll try to respond for Q&A after.
  1. bigthirsty - Wilt Chamberlain, Mookie Blaylock, Larry Nance, Serge Ibaka, Fat Lever, Art Long, John Crotty Hope you’re not TOO thirsty, because this Wilt team isn’t going to quench a thing. Where is your scoring? If I’m right, you’re going to dive into the undrafted pool to see what fish are left…a dangerous bet. John Crotty lived in my cousin’s town when he was growing up- somewhat of a local legend. I’m surprised he’s in the 52. Pros: Wilt (you’re using the right season…right?), defense, decent rebounding. Uh-ohs: You’re in a tough spot if Ibaka or Nance are starting at your 4.
  2. vancem - LeBron James, Deron Williams, Shawn Kemp, Jerry Lucas, Jonas Valanciunas, Corey Alexander, Adrian Dantley Assists, rebounding, defense, efficiency…maybe 3’s are light? I think this is a good foundation. Dantley is a solid backup- slim pickings at the end of the 6th. Playoff team. Pros: LeBron and a great supporting cast with enough passing, rebounding and usage around him. Uh-ohs: Doesn’t scare me out of a -1/-2
  3. banditone - Steph Curry. Marques Johnson, Bobby Jones, Spencer Haywood, Michael Ray Richardson, Brad Davis, Elmore Smith What happens when a modern era sim darling is blended with 70s era sim poison? We’re about to find out. There isn’t enough coke to go around on this team, but Curry will love getting his chances. Elmore Smith though? NBA record holder- 17 blocks in a game. Can that ever be topped? Pros: Potentially fun box scores for Curry NOs: the rest of the roster after Marques/Jones. Sorry man.
  4. pennsylvania - Magic Johnson, Grant Hill, Pau Gasol, Jalen Rose, Isaiah Thomas, Andre Miller. Alvan Adams I think you said you’re going for the assist bump- I have to think it was possible without Zeke. Has he been on a draft league team with a winning record before? I’ll be interested to see how this works out. It’s either a success or a good start on a Wilt team. Pros: Assists galore. Uh-ohs: if the assist bump doesn’t come through, you’re light on rebounds and threes, and in trouble.
  5. bds9992 - Michael Jordan, Amar'e Stoudemire, Bill Russell, Lamar Odom, Al Horford, Damon Jones, Carmelo Anthony Two great scorers, which I love, but after that are you short on rebounds? Are you doing something funky like playing LO at the 2? Is this small forward by committee? I have so many questions. Wins: very efficient top dogs. Drafted plenty of usage. Misses: I need more intel I think.
  6. jcred5 - Shaquille O'Neal, Shawn Marion, Andre Drummond, Dana Barros, Kevin Johnson, Enes Kanter, Earl Watson Love the Drummond/Shaq pairing- covers Shaq’s weakness: rebounding. Marion is a nice touch- although I think he was taken before Donyell? Barros and KJ is an interesting backcourt- could be tough. If you’re in the wrong division that backcourt could get lit up. Pros: Covered for Shaq, he will be unleashed! Woes: backcourt will set you back I think.
  7. maglor1 - Dennis Rodman, Gary Payton, Klay Thompson, Bob Lanier, Hot Rod Williams, Jimmy Butler, Delonte West I’ve won a title with Payton- his top end seasons can be really suffocating for opposing backcourts because they are so minute heavy. I think you’ll like that pairing with Rodman. Klay put me in this position writing this eval, carrying the bags for the Admiral and Mr Big Shot in the finals. He’s a great season- wish it had more minutes. If Lanier can keep defenses honest, I like your start. A bit light on interior scoring. I wonder if there’s enough offensive punch deep enough in each 48 to keep you scoring enough. Wins: enough assists, defense, rebounds Misses: depth of offense, potentially a +2 trap team.
  8. eleibowitz - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Anthony Davis, Manu Ginobli, Charlie Ward, Andrew Bogut, Bismack Biyombo, Cedric Ceballos I think I lost in an ODL final with Manu-Kareem as my pairing…maybe it was here? Regardless, I love the pairing. Kareem is so good. Great foundational player. Davis at the 3 will be a strong support for Manu and Charlie in the backcourt. Bogut adding more rebounds, and a great 6th round set of picks. I like this squad. Pros: Cannot be pushed around in the paint or the perimeter. Stout rebounding and lots of quality, high usage efficient minutes for your best scorer (always a plus!). Woes: Maybe light on depth minutes? The seasons are all short with the exception of Kareem. Doesn’t matter- playoff team.
  9. uptowngbv - Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Horace Grant, Buck Williams, Kyle Lowry, Antonio McDyess, Rodrigue Beaubois Enough offensive rebounding for two teams. I was thinking about trying Lowry (Villanova!) late but ended up not needing the usage. He’s going to creep further up draft boards. Nice defense, solid rebounding. Kinda heavy on fouls and turnovers, right? Wins: Strength on the inside, Lowry will try to take enough threes to cover for everyone else. Misses: TO/PF is a real issue if not managed. I didn’t load this team up in draft center but it feels heavy. I also don’t love Dr. J, but that’s just subjective.

10. ysw128 - Dwight Howard, Bill Walton, Derek Harper, Kenneth Faried, Charlie Edge, Nate McMillan, Joel Przybilla Dominant front court- elite defense, rebounding and efficiency. Defense extends to the perimeter, but unfortunately the strength does not. You’ve got plenty of rebounds, but I’m not certain enough usage. I am certain though, that you’re extremely light on threes. Wins: D and rebounding. Misses: Prob usage, definitely missing threes.

11. copernicus - Chris Paul, Elton Brand, Dikembe Mutombo, Andre Kirilenko, Emeka Okafor, Marcin Gortat, Gerald Green I like this team. Spread out strong D, a supporting cast for CP3- I’m assuming you’re going to use the big USG season for him…this will be interesting. I wonder if there’s enough scoring after CP and Brand. Light on threes outside of Green. Wins: Probably the best defense in the league. Misses: Potentially scoring, and extending the offense to the perimeter. Likely playoff team.

12. scudmissle - Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, Ray Allen, Rodney McCray, Eddie Jones, Wes Unseld, Roy Tarpley Is this a PG experiment? The Mailman deserves better, scud! I think Eddie should get drafted more, and probably McCray less. Wes was a good grab in the 6th, and Karl’s backup came with him. Plenty of usage but I’m not sure there is enough passing to go around. Wins: Nice spread out D between Malone and Pippen- likely covering every spot. Lots of scoring. Misses: Assists, and probably light on rebounds.

13. milest - David Robinson, Donyell Marshall, Terry Porter, Alvin Robertson, Robert Parrish, Jameer Nelson, Kirk Hinrich Congrats to the Admiral on the chip- he was fun to have. I liked the pairing of Donyell and Porter to keep defenses honest- that’s a great start to getting the Admiral his looks underneath. Robertson I’m not sure- there were better players available for this current sim climate. Parrish is a killer pick in the 5th. The Chief (if the correct season is used) has only two weaknesses. Backup guards in the 6th, well done. Wins: Good spread on offense across the three zones. Misses: Is there enough horsepower here?

14. thomcat - Larry Bird, Bob McAdoo, Brent Barry, Jerry West, Clifford Ray, Kris Humphries, Baron Davis I like spread out scoring. I think you were stuck taking West because the PGs had dried out- but had they really? I think you’ll regret that. McAdoo is a nice center to go with Barry and the Legend. Ray prevents the rebounding from being an opportunity, which is almost always a season-ender. Wins: Nice scoring, solid D, solid efficiency. Misses: I wonder if it’s enough. I’m not in love with it but traditionally there are no glaring weaknesses- I think.

15. beachhouse - Anfernee Hardaway, Alonzo Mourning, Mark Price, Marcus Camby, Clyde Drexler, George Hill, Kyle Korver I like the scoring- there’s plenty of usage here and I think you’ll be fine there. I worry about your rebounding. Mourning does not rebound like a PF or C in this league. Camby is a great start at redemption but you didn’t address the frontcourt again with any other pick. I think you’ll be unfortunately killed on the glass. If all this guard scoring can bail you out, the interior D could keep you in games. Pro: guards are deep, and will score. Woes: Rebounding deficit will be significant.

16. dh555 - Kevin Durant, Charles Barkley, Jose Calderon, Anthony Mason, Carlos Boozer, Andre Bynum, Jamal Tinsley Great combo to start with. Efficient, and cover your bases between the two. Kinda put Calderon on an island though as a low-D PG with no one to cover. Mason is a solid glue guy. Boozer was a fantastic third wheel to add to the stew. Bynum keeps the theme going. Wins: Big guns scoring efficiently. Misses: Defense is average- at best. Playoff team.

17. mikee1 - Dwyane Wade, Kevin McHale, Rudy Gobert, Kevin Love, JR Smith, Arvydas Sabonis, Nic Batum Wade’s almost always pinned to a team with great D and rebounding. Can he run a team scoring 120+? That was my goal. A second and third option that could carry the scoring load across the three zones, with elite backups in JR and Arvydas. I think this team will be in the playoffs. Please talk me out of my elevated expectations.

18. cjok1051 - John Stockton, Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Chris Webber, Tree Rollins Jamario Moon, Andre Iguodala Cool composition- Stockton will make it gel. Until Rollins this team was weak on the glass. If he can avoid fouling out you’ll be a fun team to follow. Scoring very much covered. Defense above average, even with McGrady. Wins: Buckets are buckets, and I think the scoring is there. Opps: Depending on which Duncan season you use, there’s a chance you’re short on rebounds other than Tree. Guy fouls out a ton.

19. bkbillups - Kevin Garnett, Kawhi Leonard, Joakim Noah, Maurice Cheeks, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Gatling, Michael Redd Was the intention from the start to build a Dirk team? I think that’s how you have to draft for him- build around him before snagging him in the 5th. If that’s what you did, I think you have protected him on the glass, in the passing game and on defense. I don’t know if this will work (I suspect it won’t) but I really respect the attempt and effort. Wins: Swiss Army flexibility, plenty of usage. Opps: the efficiency doesn’t blow me away.

20. jkaye24 - DeAndre Jordan, Artis Gilmore, Sidney Moncrief, Russell Westbrook, Ryan Anderson, Chris Andersen, Anderson Varejao Plenty of rebounding! Is there enough scoring? You were right, if you were going to run a Russ team this is how to do it. Wins: rebounding, depth of rebounding? Opps: Russell Westbrook is the drunk driver of this rebounding Ferrari.

21. longtallbrad - Draymond Green, Hassan Whiteside, Patrick Ewing, James Harden, Walt Frazier, Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe Ewing carried the scoring load alongside Harden in my Wilt run a few months ago- they’re an interesting combo. Plenty of 3PA and FTA. Draw plenty of fouls, and cover you inside and outside. I ALSO ran Draymond, but it was the prior season before this superb option was available. Whiteside is a micro Wilt (minus the passing), and I think they can push you and Clyde into the playoffs. Wins: diverse, effective scoring. Opps: Fouls and turnovers will drive you crazy in the losses, and be non-factors in the wins. Playoff team

22. amerk1180 - Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Gerald Wallace, Tom Boerwinkle, Walt Bellamy, Samuel Dalembert, Patty Mills Building this team back to front cost you a reasonable shot at the playoffs. I love the Kidd/Big Shot back court combo, but where is the interior punch? Sim wildcard Walt Bellamy doesn’t cut it for me. Maybe I’m wrong and he carries the load. I respect you backing up Boerwinkle with Dalembert- nice platoon.

23. sixernuggets - Oscar Robertson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Willis Reed, Nick Anderson, AC Green, Jon Barry, Charles Oakley Old school. Tough on the interior. Can Anderson and Barry bail you out from the threes deficit? I think so. Love Oakley. Guy has left the reservation though. Have you seen these MSG youtube clips? Wow. I think efficiency will actually hurt you here. It just isn’t outstanding. Wins: Heavy front court Opps: efficiency, PLENTY of fouls to go around.

24. Jhsukow – Steve Nash, Ben Wallace, Rajon Rondo, Tyson Chandler, Troy Murphy, Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant No small forward in a league that prioritizes rebounding will be tough. If you’re going to try it, Wallace and Chandler are good caddies for the effort. If Nash can elevate Kobe (and I bet he can) you might have something if this Kobe-at-the-3 rebounding issue doesn’t kill you. Wins: Interior rebounding and D. Plenty of 3’s. Nash running the show. Opps; No small forward. Or, Kobe at 39% taking shots from Nash, Troy and anyone else above 50% EFG.
5/14/2017 11:53 PM (edited)
More intel: Damon is playing the 1, Jordan the 2, Odom the 3. We should be at about 55 or 56 RP48 in the starting lineup. Ast% is 68.2
5/14/2017 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the great work on evals, mikee!

Draymond seems like a natural fit with Harden or Ewing. I'm uncertain about the three of them together. I'm hoping the fact that my guards rebound pretty well will compensate a bit for the fact that Ewing rebounds like most starting SFs in this league.
5/15/2017 8:34 AM
Thanks for the evals mikee, nope there was not a plan to draft Dirk, but I realized once I missed out on Ewing that I was going to be with Dirk/Boozer. I don't think I will ever start off drafting a 2 and a 3 again.
5/15/2017 9:06 AM
QUERY?

pennsylvania - Magic Johnson, Grant Hill, Pau Gasol, Jalen Rose, Isaiah Thomas, Andre Miller. Alvan Adams
I think you said you’re going for the assist bump- I have to think it was possible without Zeke. Has he been on a draft league team with a winning record before?

Whose Zeke?
5/15/2017 10:12 AM
Posted by pennsylvania on 5/15/2017 10:12:00 AM (view original):
QUERY?

pennsylvania - Magic Johnson, Grant Hill, Pau Gasol, Jalen Rose, Isaiah Thomas, Andre Miller. Alvan Adams
I think you said you’re going for the assist bump- I have to think it was possible without Zeke. Has he been on a draft league team with a winning record before?

Whose Zeke?
You indicated you were drafting Detroit's Isiah Thomas, rather than Boston's Isaiah Thomas. "Zeke" was the nickname for Isiah Thomas back in days of the championship Bad Boy Pistons.
5/15/2017 10:16 AM
QUERY?

Whose Zeke?
nickname = Isaiah

{also 'who is', 'whose' is a possessive}

-that guy
5/15/2017 10:38 AM
Copernicus - in real life I pay a secretary $64,000 to edit ---- besides, I drafted Isiah Thomas - not Isaiah --- a distinction worth noting, given your proclivity for accuracy.

NOTE: Is it not ironic that the one who goes about critiquing "grammer", inexcusably interchanged two differing Thomas' - Isiah & Isaiah; WHICH BEGS THE REAL QUESTION - which Thomas do you think is nicknamed "Zeke"?

HINT: if you're going to critique - make certain you gets things right - lest you expose yourself to not being nearly as smart as you think you are.

Nobody minds being criticized - if it's constructive - BUT REALLY - you go the route of {also 'who is', 'whose' is a possessive} -- for what purpose?
5/15/2017 11:20 AM
Note to self.... Be careful who you criticize.. :-)
5/15/2017 11:25 AM
Posted by pennsylvania on 5/15/2017 11:20:00 AM (view original):
Copernicus - in real life I pay a secretary $64,000 to edit ---- besides, I drafted Isiah Thomas - not Isaiah --- a distinction worth noting, given your proclivity for accuracy.

NOTE: Is it not ironic that the one who goes about critiquing "grammer", inexcusably interchanged two differing Thomas' - Isiah & Isaiah; WHICH BEGS THE REAL QUESTION - which Thomas do you think is nicknamed "Zeke"?

HINT: if you're going to critique - make certain you gets things right - lest you expose yourself to not being nearly as smart as you think you are.

Nobody minds being criticized - if it's constructive - BUT REALLY - you go the route of {also 'who is', 'whose' is a possessive} -- for what purpose?
fair play (although a difference in common spellings of a name? and congrats on having a secretary, I guess?)

on the other hand you drafted a bottom half of the first round player in the top half and then proceeded to draft a 5th round dude in the second round and a 6th round guy in the 3rd round and then you added a bunch of dudes who typically don't get drafted at all - you could have traded your 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks away and still wound up with the same roster - constructive criticism rendered
5/15/2017 11:31 AM
Maybe, maybe not -- First, I had a plan, and I worked the plan - we'll see if the plan translates into wins.
Trading my picks would not have guaranteed my selections would have been available in later rounds -- doing it my way did.
Magic was the key for starters -- you're not going to get a sf with 39.9 ast% - with 20PPG ;
GHill provides an unmatched 26 ast% @ PF (James & Green were not available) & scoring 21PPG
Gasol @ C had the best ast%, and his 20PPG fit in with the goal - scoring
*JALEN ROSE WAS CRITICAL, and sealed the deal - his 30.0 ast% off the bench guarantees my team's overall ast% will not go below 143% at any time.
Thomas provides high ast% and scoring 21PPG
A.Miller provides high ast% and a secondary scorer - 15PPG
Adams provides depth at C & PF with no significant drop off in ast% - and serves as another secondary scorer 14PPG

We'll see if the assist bump counterbalances other deficiencies -- rebounds & def -- otherwise, here's to looking for next season
5/15/2017 12:09 PM
you could have drafted Deron Williams and Noah in the second and third and still wound up w Hill and Gasol later, just saying
5/15/2017 12:13 PM
QUERY?

Whose Zeke?
Did you post what Gasol/Thomas seasons you are using?
5/15/2017 12:56 PM
Just saying, Jalen Rose was instrumental in my ODL championship.
5/15/2017 1:19 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12 Next ▸
$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.