$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

I think if someone is going to hit "the bump", Magic has to be available at 21/22 and you take KG at 27/28. Pau has a more interesting season than I initially thought (79 DEF, Whoa!), but he is still going to get killed on the class.
5/15/2017 2:09 PM
Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
Joakim Noah 13-14 Bulls C 18.8 47.3 0.0 47.5 10.7 23.0 21.4 1.7 2.6
Grant Hill 96-97 Pistons SF 28.3 50.0 30.1 50.0 4.7 21.8 26.0 2.2 1.0
Magic Johnson 88-89 Lakers PG 24.3 54.5 31.8 53.5 4.3 17.0 37.7 2.0 0.4
Deron Williams 07-08 Jazz PG 23.4 53.0 39.3 54.4 1.3 8.0 34.2 1.4 0.5
Mark Jackson 96-97 Nuggets PG 15.5 44.4 36.9 47.4 3.2 10.7 42.0 1.5 0.2
5/15/2017 2:19 PM
defense is a little better, rebounding still sucks
5/15/2017 2:21 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=487149
I used the assist bump strategy to make the playoffs in the odl a while back, but it would be more difficult in this league.
5/15/2017 2:46 PM
Penn is going to win a lot of games, and make a lot of you look bad for your critiques...
5/15/2017 3:41 PM (edited)
ncmusician_7 - why more difficult in this league?

Copernicus - while Noah & Williams seem logical to some - they validate why I went in a different direction:
First: Noah doesn't score - his comparables, when weighed against Gasol's scoring ability and ast%, are minimal.
Second: picking DWilliams apparently necessitated your selection of MJackson - again, M. Jackson doesn't score.
Third. No guarantee GHill would be available in the 4th - and, my 4th was more like a 5th given it's position ---- I wasn't willing to take that chance.

REMEMBER - I'm trying to use the assist bump to outscore teams - Noah & Jackson are counterproductive toward that end.

jhsukow - no guarantee Magic would be available 21/22 - although if everybody would have agreed, I certainly would have entertained Magic & KJ - again, I wasn't willing to hope and pray.
5/15/2017 3:13 PM
Pennsylvania, more difficult because the best teams in this league are better than the best teams in the odl (different salary cap).
5/15/2017 3:17 PM
I do have a question, since you said you'd be available for Q&A..... What G available at the 4/5 turn (I had Vancem's 4th & 5th round picks) do you think would have been better than Robertson... Hard to find a better defender than his 91... His efg is 51,8%.. Not great, but not that bad... 79 FT% with a decent amount of attempt.. High TOs- but more steals than TOs- which I think is a positive- not a negative. Enough asts to keep me where I need to be.... 20% Creb- not bad for a guard- not great- but pretty good- and needed for this team... Basically- a bad defender wouldn't have been ideal next to Porter. I didn't need 3s- I have 416 made, and I made the finals 2 seasons ago with around 350... A player with fewer asts wouldn't have been ideal... A player with few FTM wouldn't have been ideal... I player with fewer TOs would be nice.. But I feel like a steals/TO ratio is much more important and relevant than ast/TO ratio- it determines how many possessions you give up and how many extra possessions you create.. Not many have a 'positive' ratio- Alvin does.... Alvin commits a ton of fouls- That is a negative that I can fully admit too... My team overall will commit a ton of fouls- but I also drafted a lot of FTM.. Anyway- I'd like to ask the question- 'who available was a better fit than that'?, while making the case that--- I highly doubt there was actually a better fit available...
5/15/2017 10:22 PM (edited)
Posted by pennsylvania on 5/15/2017 3:13:00 PM (view original):
ncmusician_7 - why more difficult in this league?

Copernicus - while Noah & Williams seem logical to some - they validate why I went in a different direction:
First: Noah doesn't score - his comparables, when weighed against Gasol's scoring ability and ast%, are minimal.
Second: picking DWilliams apparently necessitated your selection of MJackson - again, M. Jackson doesn't score.
Third. No guarantee GHill would be available in the 4th - and, my 4th was more like a 5th given it's position ---- I wasn't willing to take that chance.

REMEMBER - I'm trying to use the assist bump to outscore teams - Noah & Jackson are counterproductive toward that end.

jhsukow - no guarantee Magic would be available 21/22 - although if everybody would have agreed, I certainly would have entertained Magic & KJ - again, I wasn't willing to hope and pray.
I think your draft was fine- given your goal (strategy)... But--- Noah and Jackson 'not scoring' being detrimental to your strategy is a fallacy 'IF' you have enough usage/efg elsewhere.. It just means those other players will take more shots, and be more productive taking those shots with Jackson and Noah's asts... I've made several high ast teams, just playing arountd to see what the strategy was all about.. I won 73 games in an open league with Mark Jackson and Noah.. I understand OL is a totally different game than this.. But point is made.... You can score over 130 point/game with Noah and Jackson in your lineup- if the rest of your lineup is built for it.. That was the point.. and a proven fact.. Judging from your other post explaining the picks- you put FAR too much emphasis on 'PPG' rather than usage & efg%.. Something to think about...
5/15/2017 3:51 PM (edited)
Posted by milest on 5/15/2017 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Penn is going to win a lot of games, and make a lot of you look bad for your critics...
I will say this is the true test of the assist bump strategy. Not a lot to love except for the assists

5/15/2017 3:36 PM
I've never had any success getting players to score significantly higher than their RL stats - that was my reasoning for more secondary scorers -- in other words, where was I going to find 130+ points, and from whom.

I'll re-think usage & efg% - maybe that's why I haven't won anything.

5/15/2017 5:35 PM
enough usage/efg? never quite understood that
5/15/2017 5:36 PM
Posted by pennsylvania on 5/15/2017 5:36:00 PM (view original):
enough usage/efg? never quite understood that
Penn

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=445171&TopicsTimeframe=0

5/15/2017 5:45 PM

Gasol's scoring wouldn't be that big a deal when you already have Hill, Magic and Williams - as for the comparables aside from his as% being a couple points better, his rebounding and his D are better and those are areas you might have wanted to bolster

actually it doesn't, that squad above has 118% not counting Jackson - Jackson was just another guy you could've gone with, one who takes 3s (like Williams who also btw in taking place of Gasol in the role of third scorer would have raised your base efg anyway)

this gets to the heart of my critique actually, when you are taking a guy who doesn't get drafted or gets drafted much later on average instead of taking a small risk you are devaluing your draft opportunities - while there was no guarantee Hill would be there, there was every reason to believe it was pretty likely
5/15/2017 6:06 PM (edited)
Posted by pennsylvania on 5/15/2017 5:35:00 PM (view original):
I've never had any success getting players to score significantly higher than their RL stats - that was my reasoning for more secondary scorers -- in other words, where was I going to find 130+ points, and from whom.

I'll re-think usage & efg% - maybe that's why I haven't won anything.

'in other words, where was I going to find 130+ points, and from whom.'

Each player's efg% will be at least 3% better than RL with your efg boost... Possibly quite a bit more for some players.. So, if they score 117ish (just a guess, but probably close) on paper in RL, they'll score 130 in the sim, due to the efg boost.
5/15/2017 6:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12 Next ▸
$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.