$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

The craziest part of my plan is that if I were to move up in the draft, I'm not 100% sure I would take the guy we all agree I should take.
5/11/2017 1:44 PM
AN EXPLANATION TO MY STRATEGY:
magic presented several options: 1) chosing walton & manu (in 2 & 3) - 2) when walton wasn't available, I opted to pursue the assist bump.
start with magic @ SF
GHill was the best available "assist %" to put @ PF
Gasol was the best "assist %" @ C
Rose enables me to keep assist% high - and I can play him at any number of positions - not drafting Rose would put my assist % at risk
Thomas takes care of "assist %" @ PG
I don't need a high "assist %" @ SG
and my 2nd 6th round pick will provide depth with "assist %" at C & PF -- I'll have 2 high "assist %" off the bench
AND THEN I'M SET TO SEE IF STRATEGY PAYS OFF - outscoring opponents
5/11/2017 9:24 PM

to pursue the assist bump.

GHill was the best available "assist %" to put @ PF ADS is somewhere in the 5th round

Gasol was the best "assist %" @ C - two things: I picked Pau in the 6th rd last season and Tom Boerwinkle has a 19% as% season and is twice the rebounder Pau is (which is going to be an issue for you)

PS to get the bump you need to have about 140-150 as% on the floor at all times - sorry to be that guy
5/11/2017 10:17 PM (edited)
1) What is ADS?
2) Gasol gives me scoring - Boerwinkle doesn't - additionally, I didn't want to take the chance of not getting him, that's why I took him in the 3rd -- I could have waited, but at the risk of compromising my strategy -

5/11/2017 11:28 PM
average draft spot

penn....our games this year will be epic...all 8 of em...probably crack 300 total points once or twice
5/11/2017 11:35 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/11/2017 11:36:00 PM (view original):
average draft spot

penn....our games this year will be epic...all 8 of em...probably crack 300 total points once or twice
I don't know, DH. You think your team can actually score 204 points a game?
5/11/2017 11:38 PM
haha nice
5/11/2017 11:51 PM
I kind of feel like a dick tho - sorry penn
5/12/2017 12:37 AM
Don't be sorry. Put penn's team in my team's division and then he'll be feeling even worse than he does now 8 more times next season.
5/12/2017 1:04 AM
Penn has had success with his sometimes unconventional approach to the draft, so he is one owner who has to be given some leeway. In any case, his drafts do make for good talk.
5/12/2017 8:02 AM
It's always dangerous to go with the best available player in the 5th round, but I just had to trade up for Chris Webber. There will not be a shortage of offense with my team this year.

John Stockton
T-Mac
Chris Webber
Tim Duncan
5/12/2017 9:22 AM
I thought you were trying to move up for KJ. That is who I wanted.
5/12/2017 9:44 AM
KJ is awfully nice value in the bottom half of the fifth.
5/12/2017 9:45 AM
Posted by cjok1051 on 5/12/2017 9:22:00 AM (view original):
It's always dangerous to go with the best available player in the 5th round, but I just had to trade up for Chris Webber. There will not be a shortage of offense with my team this year.

John Stockton
T-Mac
Chris Webber
Tim Duncan
As you know I probably wouldn't have gone for Webber there myself, but that is a very strong quartet and I can think of plenty of still-available options for rounding out your starting five. That doesn't look like a team that gave up anything to get where it's at. McGrady and Webber could legitimately have been third round selections.
5/12/2017 9:48 AM
Posted by thomcat on 5/12/2017 8:02:00 AM (view original):
Penn has had success with his sometimes unconventional approach to the draft, so he is one owner who has to be given some leeway. In any case, his drafts do make for good talk.
Oh, believe me, I've come to expect penn to do better than I sometimes think his team of the moment will do. He has a knack for confounding conventional sim wisdom by shortchanging some aspect of the game I've been conditioned to think is essential, and then he ends up in the playoffs. Last season's squad did seem like a lark or throwaway, but I take him at his word that he's genuinely up to something here.
5/12/2017 9:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...12 Next ▸
$52 Million Commentary LVIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.