bringing up a kid with 13 games left Topic

Hi all

If I bring up a prospect from AAA with just 13 games left in the season will that start his arbitration clock or no? I thought I read somewhere it was like 25 games or more....not sure.

thanks for the help
5/11/2017 11:08 AM
It will start his service clock which is what I think you're asking.
5/11/2017 12:41 PM
darn it.....ok thanks MikeT
5/11/2017 1:10 PM
13 games won't matter.

I realize I'm not answering your question because I despise the "hold them back" strategy and that's wrong. If you're doing the "hold them back 20 games" strategy, which I hate, just hold him back 33 games next year and you'll get the same result.
5/11/2017 1:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/11/2017 1:17:00 PM (view original):
13 games won't matter.

I realize I'm not answering your question because I despise the "hold them back" strategy and that's wrong. If you're doing the "hold them back 20 games" strategy, which I hate, just hold him back 33 games next year and you'll get the same result.
You hate it because it's smart and fiscally responsible and mathematically correct haha
5/11/2017 1:58 PM
No, I hate it because you're either trying to win or you're not. I do it when it's the right thing to do. The problem is that folks like you insist that it should ALWAYS be done. And inexperienced users gobble it up. That's dumb.

For instance, in sitemail yesterday, a user asked me about calling up his 69 DUR RF after ST. That's a guy you hold back because he's not giving you 140 games at 100%. He's going to sit 20+ games anyway. Let him do it "off the clock".
5/11/2017 2:27 PM
To: xxxxxxxx
Sent: 5/10/2017 8:56:00 PM
Subject: RE: Fatigue

So this is where I talk out both sides of my mouth.

30-35 then I deactivate him in ST for 20-25 games before call-up. He's probably going to give you 480ish PA at the BL level. 140 games at 100%. Itou on my MG team is a good example.

-----Original Message-----
To: MikeT23
Sent: 5/10/2017 8:23:00 PM
Subject: RE: Fatigue

How many ST at bats would you give a developing 20 year old 69 DUR RF that you planned to start all season at ML level?
5/11/2017 2:28 PM
Mike I have noticed that the more you try and help out on these threads the more jackholes seem to dog on you. I have read a lot of help threads and it seems to be the case much of the time. I have had no dealings with you but I have found your comments MOST helpful a large percentage of the time. My hats off to you sir
5/11/2017 6:38 PM
To be fair, I've definitely been a dick to pjfoster on MANY occasions, mostly warranted because I think he gives bad advice far too often, so I get his distaste for me.

But you're welcome. And thanks for noticing.
5/11/2017 6:47 PM
Neither one of us is always wrong, or always right. For this topic I'd say you're definitely wrong but agree to disagree I guess. The little bit of WAR you sacrifice in the first 25 games, you get back five-fold on the back end when you get the extra season pre-arb. Those 25 games are completely insignificant in the big picture
5/12/2017 10:25 AM
We do disagree. I plan my teams three seasons in advance. I certainly account for the 3 min and first arb. You get 4 min and save 600k or maybe a million. I've accounted for that million. As for the 11th control year(4min, 2 arb, 3 LT), the player is probably in decline already.

And I certainly don't think 14% of a season is insignificant if I'm trying to win a WS.
5/12/2017 10:33 AM
I think it's very situational. If I am rebuilding, I couldn't care less about those 20 games. To be fair though I think I am better at rebuilding the Mike way than I used to be. The fuzzier ratings make the 10th pick about as good as the #3 pick, so I grab some ok guys at the end of FA where I didn't always do that in the past.

if I'm competing for a title, they are up day 1. More often than not I leave them down 20 days as I have a decent replacement from late in FA, but it's not the automatic 20 days no matter what that it used to be. The Cubs don't feel bad about leaving Bryant down. The Sox are fine leaving moncada down. It's certainly the right long-term call, but not always the right short term call.

Position matters some too. I'm more likely to call up a rp than a stud sp. I've had mixed results with young players developing at the ml level.
5/12/2017 10:46 AM
You have a guy that can help you win games you bring him up.. That seems logical to me. And no offense intended but even in a rebuild you should be trying to win as many as possible.
5/15/2017 10:33 AM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 5/11/2017 1:58:00 PM (view original):
13 games won't matter.

You hate it because it's smart and fiscally responsible and mathematically correct haha
This.

There's a reason most ML teams do this with their real prospects, and the ones that don't have near unlimited budgets. I'm quite certain no HBD franchises have unlimited budgets.
6/9/2017 2:52 AM
Posted by schuyler101 on 6/9/2017 2:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by pjfoster13 on 5/11/2017 1:58:00 PM (view original):
13 games won't matter.

This.

There's a reason most ML teams do this with their real prospects, and the ones that don't have near unlimited budgets. I'm quite certain no HBD franchises have unlimited budgets.
But it isn't always the right move. Circumstances should dictate this strategy of saving money. If you need a specific position filled on a contending team and a player in the minors who can fill that need, you use that player. If he's good enough to help you win, he should be on the team.
6/9/2017 8:31 AM
123 Next ▸
bringing up a kid with 13 games left Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.