Conf DPOY -- freshman walk-on, played 3 total min! Topic

The conference awards just came out in Crum, and the Defensive Player of the Year for the Centennial Conference (DIII) is a freshman walk-on at Franklin & Marshall. He appeared in one game for a total of 3 minutes this season. Granted, he recorded two steals in that short period of time, so if you extrapolate that out to a full season (say, 28 games at 25 minutes/game), that's about 467 total steals and almost 17 steals/game! What a defensive beast!

Seriously, though... I know end-of-season awards don't have any bearing on the game itself, but I just submitted a ticket to customer support.
5/11/2017 12:12 PM
dumb
5/11/2017 12:30 PM
That's hilarious.

Maybe it's like one of those "team manager with a sob story" and they gave him the award out of sympathy.
5/11/2017 1:02 PM
HAHAHA!
5/11/2017 2:26 PM
And people complain that walk-ons in this game aren't good for anything...
5/11/2017 3:50 PM
You need to petition the coach to give that kid a scholarship!

His entire season stat line was 1 game, 3 minutes, 2 assists, 2 steals. Something in there triggered the game to award him CDPOY. Probably heavily influenced by his steals/minute ratio, and I'm sure his 0 fouls played a role too.

Since there was clearly some ratio or equation that was way out of whack based on only a 3 minute sample size, I wonder if he was close to winning National Defensive POY?

Please follow up with the response from customer support. If this is possible I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of this happening.
5/11/2017 11:04 PM
Posted by bdr127 on 5/11/2017 12:12:00 PM (view original):
The conference awards just came out in Crum, and the Defensive Player of the Year for the Centennial Conference (DIII) is a freshman walk-on at Franklin & Marshall. He appeared in one game for a total of 3 minutes this season. Granted, he recorded two steals in that short period of time, so if you extrapolate that out to a full season (say, 28 games at 25 minutes/game), that's about 467 total steals and almost 17 steals/game! What a defensive beast!

Seriously, though... I know end-of-season awards don't have any bearing on the game itself, but I just submitted a ticket to customer support.
His sister is sweeeeeeet!
5/12/2017 1:11 AM
Posted by clouseb on 5/11/2017 11:04:00 PM (view original):
You need to petition the coach to give that kid a scholarship!

His entire season stat line was 1 game, 3 minutes, 2 assists, 2 steals. Something in there triggered the game to award him CDPOY. Probably heavily influenced by his steals/minute ratio, and I'm sure his 0 fouls played a role too.

Since there was clearly some ratio or equation that was way out of whack based on only a 3 minute sample size, I wonder if he was close to winning National Defensive POY?

Please follow up with the response from customer support. If this is possible I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of this happening.
I'll definitely update this thread when customer support responds. So far all I've gotten is the normal "In Progress" update/email. It's the weekend now, though, so maybe something more will happen in a few days...
5/13/2017 10:52 AM
This possibly gives real insight into how awards may be determined. Pretty much just need to start a guy for one game and hope he goes beast mode in short minutes, then bench him so he can win awards.
5/15/2017 8:47 PM
FYI: No update from customer support yet. Still just says "In Progress"....
5/17/2017 8:59 AM
Posted by bdr127 on 5/17/2017 8:59:00 AM (view original):
What about the national awards, which I would imagine would be out by now for the world in question -- did the kid get national DPOY as well?
5/17/2017 12:27 PM
Posted by rednu on 5/17/2017 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bdr127 on 5/17/2017 8:59:00 AM (view original):
What about the national awards, which I would imagine would be out by now for the world in question -- did the kid get national DPOY as well?
Nope. A "normal" player won the national award.
5/18/2017 1:13 PM
FWIW, no update at all from customer support... not a peep. [shrug]
6/1/2017 8:00 AM
Conf DPOY -- freshman walk-on, played 3 total min! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.