Re-Distribution Draft - Post Draft Comments Topic

This was a fun draft and I'm looking forward to the next one. We all made some mistakes along the way. I decided to share my thoughts I had before and during the drafting process. I am hoping others will follow suit.
When I set the cap at $110 million, I thought it would be hard to spend up to that amount. As a result, I spent big ($30M) on my initial two players ('94 Maddux and '22 Hornsby). In retrospect, I should have gone with '51 Jackie Robinson as I would have had more flexibility during the draft.

Round 1 - '98 Chipper Jones
Without too much prep for round 1, I was targeting Chipper from the get go and was glad he was still around. My other choice was '33 Schumacher. Since I am drafting last, I figured that I would save my twists for later and grab as many usable players as possible early.
Round 2 - '66 Phil Regan
Schumacher almost made it back to me but thejuice6 grabbed him a couple spots before my turn. I was going to go with the next best SP on my list ('35 Swift), but decided Phil Regan's 117 innings of sub 1.00 whip was too valuable to pass up.
Round 3 - '35 Bill Swift
I was thrilled he made it back to me in round 3 since I almost picked him in round 2. Good whip, low HRs, and on a team without many good options.
Round 4 - '63 Maury Wills
There were other better SS's available (J.Bell, M.Scutaro, D.Concepcion, T.Jackson, H.Ramirez) but Wills allows me the flexibility of twisting him or keeping his decent 63 season. Plus I wasn't thrilled with the other players on the '63 Dodgers. My initial plan was to twist Wills to his great '62 season and later adding V.Coleman (giving me two 100+ SB guys).
Round 5 - '12 Tim Lincecum (twisted to 2009)
I was going to grab '27 Harper or '35 Collins here, but they both went before me. Now I am regretting the Wills pick (although T.Jackson, Concepcion and Scutaro went after so maybe it was ok). I really didn't have a backup pick here. I thought it was too early to take Coleman. I would've taken Van Slyke, but by this time of the draft, I realized I was going to have salary cap problems. As far as pitchers go, I already had Maddux and Swift and was targeting a twist candidate that I knew I could get late. So the best option left was twisting Lincecum.
Round 6 - '13 Kenley Jansen
I really wanted to grab a bunch of good RP's. I had Niedenfuer pegged for this round, but Chisock took him. Despite his HRs, having Jansen and Regan gives me two of the best RP's available.
Round 7 - '86 Kevin Bass
I needed OF's and Bass and Coleman were at the top of my list. I changed my mind a bunch of times before I settled on Bass. I thought it was less likely he would make it back, plus if Coleman went, I was taking reliever Pat Perry.
Round 8 - '15 Anthony Rizzo
Damn - Both V.Coleman and P.Perry from the '87 Cardinals went. So now I have to focus my attention at 1B. Only a couple of people needed 1B. And there were only a couple of 1B I wanted. One of the guys I had my eye on was Gus Suhr (38 Pittsburgh), but I also wanted to twist '38 Lucas. But I also wanted Dexter Fowler from the Cubs. If I took Fowler and then Suhr went, I was stuck. So I decided to just grab Rizzo and forget Fowler and hope Lucas would still be available.
Round 9 - '33 Hi Bell
I gambled and waited another round for Lucas (only a couple of people could take him). Needed another RP, and I like Bell's 113 IPs, and from a team without many good options left. I have 307 innings of solid relief so far.
Round 10 - '38 Red Lucas (twisted to 1927)
If Lucas went, I was going to grab Eppa Rixey and twist him instead. Another key was nobody taking '94 Javy Lopez since I still needed a catcher and planned on using him as my 25th player. Very happy to get Lucas here since I started thinking of taking him back in round 4. Note that I was originally going to twist him to 1932 but cap issues changed that.
Round 10.5 - '94 Javy Lopez (twisted to 2004)
Not a great arm, but decent offense in 638 PA for under $5 million.
Round 11 - '15 Corey Seager
Once I made this pick, I pretty much gave up my hope of twisting Wills. Because of the lack of good OF's left, I knew I was going to have to twist an OF and since '63 Maury Wills is short on PA, Seager was the obvious choice. Maybe I could have waited a round. But I didn't lose anybody I was planning on taking in round 12.
Round 12 - '94 Dave Veres
I wanted to take either '35 Jesse Haines or '23 Pat Duncan, but I realized I couldn't fit them under the cap. Veres was a hedge. I was going to pick '23 McQuaid next round. Had I known Hudek would've gone much later, I would've gone McQuaid first.
Round 13 - '23 Rube Bressler
And there goes McQuaid. Since I couldn't afford Duncan, I went with a cheap OF could could give me some extra ABs.
Round 14 - '87 Dan Driessen
Round 15 - '92 Kirk Gibson (twisted to 1988)
Round 16 - '27 Les Mann

These three picks were to save cap room. I did think there was a chance I would twist Gibson, but wasn't 100% sure at the time. Plus Mann could pinch hit.
Round 17 - '03 Jose Cruz Jr.
I needed one more OF and I decided on his defense over Gary Mathews' offense.
Round 18 - '81 Del Unser
Another cheap guy from a team that didn't have many cheap guys. This pick guarantees that I can get under the cap now.
Round 19 - '35 Ed Heusser
I missed Haines but Heusser is a minimal downgrade. He's my last usable player I drafted. Long relief and mopup duties.
Round 20 - '75 Bill Plummer
Round 21 - '85 Sid Bream
Round 22 - '96 Dave Hansen

All cheap guys. Plummer gives me a backup catcher.
5/14/2017 9:02 AM (edited)
Batting Stats:
C: 2004 Javy Lopez (R), 638 pa, .316 / .370 / .503 (A-/A/C-)
1B: 2015 Anthony Rizzo (L), 701 pa, .278 / .387 / .512 (B/A-)
2B: 1922 Rogers Hornby (R), 741 pa, .401, .459, .722 (C/C+)
3B: 1998 Chipper Jones (S), 707 pa, .313 / .404 / .547 (A/C)
SS: 1963 Maury Wills (S), 580 pa, .302 / .355 / .349 (C/C-)
OF: 1986 Kevin Bass (S), 640 pa, .311 / .357 / .486 (B/C+)
OF: 2003 Jose Cruz Jr. (S), 655 pa, .250 / .366 / .414 (A/B)
OF: 1988 Kirk Gibson (L), 636 pa, .290 / .377 / .483 (D+/C+)
SS: 2015 Corey Seager (L), 113 pa, .337 / .425 / .561 (D+/A+)
OF: 1923 Rube Bressler (R), 153 pa, .277 / .390 / .319 (D/B+)
PH: 1927 Les Mann (R), 79 pa, .328 / .400 / .507
Total Batting Stats: 5643 pa, .309 / .387 / .503 ($55.0 million)
Pitching Stats
SP: 1994 Greg Maddux (R), 288 ip, 0.90 whip, 0.18 hr/9
SP: 1927 Red Lucas (R), 254 ip, 1.13 whip, 0.23 hr/9
SP: 2009 Tim Lincecum (R), 225 ip, 1.05 whip, 0.40 hr/9
SP: 1935 Bill Swift (R), 216 ip, 1.13 whip, 0.27 hr/9
RP: 1966 Phil Regan (R), 117 ip, 0.93 whip, 0.46hr/9
RP: 2013 Kenley Jansen (R), 77 ip, 0.86 whip, 0.70 hr/9
RP: 1933 Hi Bell (R), 113 ip, 1.14 whip, 0.34 hr/9
RP: 1994 Dave Veres (R), 58 ip, 1.12 whip, 0.88 hr/9
RP: 1935 Ed Heusser (R), 130 ip, 1.23 whip, 0.36 hr/9
Total PItching Stats: 1478 ip, 1.06 whip, 0.34 hr/9 ($53.4 million)
5/14/2017 8:54 AM (edited)
So, in contrast with schwarze, I was afraid that I was going to blow the cap, so I started off with what I felt was the most bang for the buck among pitchers ('03 Schmidt) and then a high impact hitter for the money ('35 Medwick). I also thought that if I could keep my initial payroll down with these two picks, I could draft early for the first several rounds at least. Later, I would realize that the selection of Schmidt would allow me to grab Pac Bell Park, which would hopefully neutralize some of the other teams' power.

Round 1 - '66 Sutton, twisted to '72
I had hoped that Kershaw would drop to me with this pick, although I knew that was stupid. There were a lot of hitters that I wanted (Bench, Chipper), but I had already decided I needed to go pitching here. I took Sutton thinking that I could either use his '66 season (which was not the best on the board at that moment), or I could twist him to his '72 season. I didn't make the decision to take his '72 season until quite late in the draft.

Round 2 - '35 Herman, twisted to '30
I didn't want to wait too long for the obvious twists, so I decided to take one here. I was deciding between Herman and '33 O'Doul with this pick. I like O'Doul better, but I took Herman because he was less expensive in his untwisted version and it would keep me drafting higher in the round.

Round 3 - '85 Valenzuela
I wanted to grab an untwisted pitcher here, and I liked Fernando better than the other options. I also wanted to have at least one lefty in the rotation.

Round 4 - '38 P. Waner, twisted to '27
I had been eyeing Waner for a while, feeling he would fit well in Pac Bell. I couldn't take the '35 version since I had Herman, so I had to take '38 knowing that this would be my second "must" twist.

Round 5 - '98 Smoltz
I wanted to go head and finish out my rotation early thinking that folks would start fighting over the remaining arms shortly, although that run on pitchers never materialized. Still, I was happy to get him here, although I knew I would need to grab a 5th starter since he had fewer than 200 IPs. I had thought about taking a SS here, and shortly after this pick, the run on SSs began with Jackson, Concepcion, Scutaro, and Hanley going.

Round 6 - '33 Terry
I was afraid of taking my third twist so soon, but I was dreaming of having his .400 average in my lineup. As the draft went on, though, I reconciled in my mind the idea of just rolling with his .322 average and twisting Sutton. So, when I took Terry, I was planning on twisting him, but at the end, I did not. It did briefly enter my mind, when I took him, that at the very least I would be able to block someone else from twisting him to his .400 season, although I knew there was one more Terry out there.

Round 7 - '27 Lindstrom
Almost everyone had their SSs at this point, and I had been looking at Jay Bell for a few rounds now (I had also thought about taking Michael Young and twisting him), but I decided to press my luck for another round (I think there was only one other owner who needed a SS at this point)...I realized a few owners still needed a 3B, and Lindstrom would fit well at Pac Bell.

Round 8 - '92 Bell
One of the reasons that I'd held off on Bell was that I had thought about taking Slaught as the catchers began drying up...once Slaught was taken several picks before this, I decided I would grab Bell. Not an offensive threat, but he plays great D.

Round 9 - '13 Paco Rodriguez
Lots of owners had taken closers by this point...I did not want to take one too early, because closers always seem to underachieve for me, but Paco's ERC# was the best of the available options, and I didn't want to wait too much longer.

Round 10 - '96 Osuna
I still needed a catcher and a 2B, but I had resolved to wait until Round 10.5 to see whether anyone took Eric Young, Edgardo Alfonzo, or Spud Davis, to know which position I would have to find in an untwisted version. So, with my other starters taken care of, and my rotation essentially filled out, I took the next best reliever from a team where I didn't think I would have to find another offensive player from.

Round 10.5 - 03 Alfonzo, twisted to '00
So, surprisingly, EY, Alfonzo, and Spud all made it to this round. I probably should have twisted Spud and grabbed Howie Kendrick or Mark Lemke for my 2B, but I couldn't resist a twisted Alfonzo here.

Round 11 - '94 Eusebio
I thought about grabbing '22 Ainsmith, but couldn't stomach his defense, and even though Eusebio was a bona fide platoon guy, I liked his average and his arm.

Round 12 - '23 Mann
I started to catch on that other owners were grabbing role players from teams that had a lot of junk on them, so I took his .360+ season to use as a fantastic pinch hitter.

Round 13 - '86 Darwin
Most owners had their catchers, so I decided to continue waiting and grabbed another decent reliever. Darwin has a nice partial season here that should work well in the 'pen.

Round 14 - '15 Grandal
I couldn't wait any longer for the rest of my catching platoon. His average and arm aren't good, but he has power and good D.

Round 15 - '12 Kontos
His ERC# is really good, his salary was low, and he would preserve my payroll for one last starter that I was hoping would still be there...

Round 16 - '75 Nolan
I figured there weren't a lot of teams who could still afford him, but grabbed my 5th starter here. His OAV isn't awesome, but his ERC# is below 3, and he should work well shuttling between Long A and 5th starter.

Round 17 - '63 Tommy Davis
This is the pick that changed my draft strategy. A little late, isn't it. I had thought about taking '22 Fournier here, but liked Davis better and figured I could platoon him with Bill Terry and twist Sutton.

Round 18 - '15 Baez
Filling out my bench, I liked his average and versatility.

Round 19 - '94 Belliard
Who doesn't like Rafael Belliard?

Round 20 -'22 Epp Sell
Round 21 -'87 Tim Conroy

Even at the end of the draft, I was see sawing back and forth between twisting Sutton and Terry, but decided in the end to twist Sutton.

Roster:
C-'94 Eusebio 246 PAs 5 HRs .296 BA .320 OBP .459 SLG 0 SBs $2.43mil
1B-'33 Terry 559 PAs 6 HRs .322 BA .375 OBP .423 SLG 3 SBs $4.77mil
2B-'00 Alfonzo 650 PAs 25 HRs .324 BA .425 OBP .542 SLG 3 SBs $6.70mil
3B-'27 Lindstrom 652 PAs 7 HRs .306 BA .354 OBP .436 SLG 10 SBs $5.57mil
SS-'92 Bell 712 PAs 9 HRs .264 BA .326 OBP .383 SLG 7 SBs $5.74 mil
OF-'27 P. Waner 746 PAs 9 HRs .380 BA .437 OBP .549 SLG 5 SBs $9.57 mil
OF-'35 Medwick 705 PAs 23 HRs .353 BA .386 OBP .576 SLG 4 SBs $6.94 mil
OF-'30 Herman 736 PAs 35 HRs .393 BA .455 OBP .678 SLG 18 SBs $9.35 mil

C-'15 Grandal 426 PAs 16 HRs .234 BA .353 OBP .403 SLG 0 SBs $2.80 mil
OF-'63 T. Davis 597 PAs 16 HRs .326 BA .359 OBP .457 SLG 15 SBs $4.28 mil
OF-'23 Mann 106 PAs 5 HRs .367 BA .430 OBP .633 SLG 0 SBs $1.25 mil

SP-'72 Sutton 285 IPs 2.08 ERA .189 OAV 0.91 WHIP $12.25 mil
SP-'85 Valenzuela 273 IPs 2.45 ERA .214 OAV 1.15 WHIP $8.49 mil
SP-'03 Schmidt 208 IPs 2.34 ERA .200 OAV 0.95 WHIP $8.42 mil
SP-'98 Smoltz 168 IPs 2.90 ERA .231 OAV 1.13 WHIP $5.42 mil
5/15/2017 9:59 AM (edited)
All I knew coming into this draft was that the theme sounded interesting and SCHWARZE always runs good leagues. Therefore, without any forethought or strategic thinking, I jumped right in. My initial teams I picked were the 2015 Dodgers (I love Greinke's season) and the 1987 Cardinals (I love Ozzie's season). Those were my two initial players. Also, let it be known that when I'm drafting a team in any theme, I always screw up at the Shortstop position so I wanted to remedy that right off by taking a guy who not only gives me the defense but he can steal a few bases as well. Lastly, like Schwarze, I thought it would be a good idea to take as many non-twistable players as I could at the beginning and save the "twists" for later - giving me a bit more flexibility.

Round One: 1975 Joe Morgan - if you're going speed and defense and SS, why not pair him with the same at Second Base and solidify your middle infield right off the bat. The $10M plus salary was a bit much but "hopefully" I'll get what I paid for;

Round Two: 1933 Hal Schumacher - with the urge to continue accumulating bats, I figured I better grab another decent SP while there were still some available.

Round Three: 1996 Hideo Nomo - With the run on pitching in full swing, I got a guy who's always done well for me before. My initial thought was to use the 1996 version and continue saving my twists for later. As it ended up, I twisted Nomo to his great 1995 season when finances dictated so;

Round Four: 1985 Mike Scioscia - With all of the decent Catchers disappearing, I thought I'd grab one that was half-way decent. Good defense behind the plate to go with my defense up the middle;

Round Five: 1927 Bill Terry - great season with no need to twist.

Round Six: 2012 Sergio Romo - I normally wouldn't have taken this guy so soon but with all of the great relievers disappearing fast, I figured I better grab somebody while I can that I "hope" can do the job. Also, my initial thought for a team name was "The Nomo and Romo Show";

Round Seven: 1994 John Smoltz - This was my first "twist" that I planned on using. Going with his 1996 season, along with Nomo, Greinke and Schumacher, my Starting Four are now set;

Round Eight: 2015 Kris Bryant - Simply a "flex" pick. I needed a 3B and I figured I could use his serviceable 2015 season or, if finances allowed, I could twist him to his 2016 season. Turns out finances didn't allow...lol;

Round Nine: 1998 Andruw Jones - my first outfielder. Although a bit pricey, his 1998 season was definitely usable with no need for twisting. Even though it could bite me in the end, I waited until I had my Starting Four pitchers and my Infield set before starting with my outfield - figuring that there were plenty of options available throughout the draft;

Round Ten: 2003 Matt Herges - Should be a decent set-up guy. At this point, I was still trying to get over Willie McGee being picked THREE PICKS BEFORE I WAS GOING TO PICK HIM AS MY 10.5 TWIST! With Coleman and McGee both gone, I decided to go with Lance Johnson who, until this point, hadn't even entered my mind;

Round Eleven: 2013 Michael Young - I had thoughts of possibly twisting this guy to one of his better seasons but in the end, he's just going to be a good bench player. Plus, he can play multiple positions;

Round Twelve: 1994 Luis Gonzalez - I had my eye on this guy from the get-go and was hoping he would still be around. I had no idea he would last this long so I grabbed him at this pick and had every intention of him being one of my "sure twists" since his 2001 season was like no others that he had;

Round Thirteen: 1986 Aurelio Lopez - There were several options available on the '86 Astros for Relief Pitching. I just decided to go with this guy and see how he does;

Round Fourteen: 1966 Bob Miller - Another reliever, trying to build up what will probably be my "weakest" side of my team (the Bullpen);

Round Fifteen: 1923 Wally Kimmick
Round Sixteen: 1981 Marty Bystrom
Round Seventeen: 1935 Mace Brown
Round Eighteen: 1963 Doug Camilli
Round Nineteen: 1938 Ray Berres
Round Twenty: 1992 Bob Patterson
Round Twenty-One: 1922 Heinie Mueller
Round Twenty-Two: 1935 Burgess Whitehead

Just a bunch of filler to round out the CAP Limit. I knew I was twisting Smoltz and I was hoping to twist both Gonzalez and Bryant but, as it turns out with finances and all, twisting Bryant was not an option so I had to settle with his lesser 2015 season. I was, however, able to twist Nomo up to his 1995 season which gives me an even stronger Starting Four.

I like my odds with this team which usually means I'm in for bitter disappointment...

5/14/2017 10:33 AM
C: Mike Scioscia
1B: Bill Terry
2B: Joe Morgan
SS: Ozzie Smith
3B: Kris Bryant
OF: Andruw Jones
OF: Luis Gonzalez
OF: Lance Johnson

SP: Hal Schumacher
SP: John Smoltz
SP: Hideo Nomo
SP: Zack Greinke

Not sure of anything else but we should have a lot of stolen bases...

5/14/2017 1:26 PM
First off, let me echo the sentiments of others in saying that I enjoyed this draft immensely. I'm already looking forward to the next installment.

For my initial player/team selection I wanted an offensive player who would give me as large as possible an advantage over other players at his position in this league, without completely breaking the bank. My thoughts immediately turned to one of my favorite high cap players in the sim, 1935 Arky Vaughan. Since at the time I had maybe a total of two minutes that I could afford to spend thinking about this issue, I went with him, not realizing/remembering how good his teammate Cy Blanton was that season. Had I any more time to consider this decision I might have chosen differently because of Blanton, but in hindsight I'm happy with my choice. For my pitching selection I wanted to maximize the number of innings I'd receive. Quality was, of course, a factor, but I was willing to sacrifice a modicum of quality for a good deal of quantity. Dolf Luque, with his 339 innings of extreme stinginess in allowing home runs, fit the bill nicely, especially for a league that I projected would be power-heavy.

Once all of the initial selections were announced and I was able to assemble the list of available players, it didn't take long to craft my strategy. Considering all of the available pitching, twist and non-twist, it was apparent that there were enough decent innings that one could concentrate heavily on hitting in the early part of the draft and still be left with a pitching staff that was not all that much worse than everyone else's. Given the paucity of hitting options at certain positions it seemed obvious that most of the marginal value in the beginning of the draft was on offense, and, therefore, much like in my recent 16x16 draft, I would go offense-heavy. Each of my nominated teams had two decent high-innings twist pitchers available, so I figured that at least one of them (Eppa Rixey, Pete Donahue, Red Lucas, Waite Hoyt) would be available after round 10. I decided that I would use two twists on hitters, with Luque, my third drafted twist and my post-round 10 twist combining for 900 -1,000 decent innings, which would get me close enough that I could fill in the rest of my pitching staff with relievers.

Round 1 - 2003 Barry Bonds

In order to execute my strategy of getting as many good hitters as possible, I knew I needed to maximize the contributions of my non-twisted hitters. No matter who was available, I wasn't going to use a twist in round 1. As much as Bonds was clearly the best offensive player (twist or otherwise) in the draft, I was kind of hoping that he would be gone by my pick, because I didn't want to have to make the tough call of whether I could afford to fit both he and Vaughan under a $110M cap, especially since Bonds requires an additional 100-150 PAs to have a full outfielder. While I also considered Chipper Jones with this pick, I decided on Bonds, figuring that if I over-shot on salary early I could always adjust later, while if I ended up with extra salary at the end there wouldn't be enough good players available to make up for it. If I'm going to err, I'm OK with erring on the side of a 1.262 OPS# and 16.49 RC/27.

Round 2 - 1985 Pedro Guerrero

I didn't see the point of taking a twist player while there were elite non-twist guys available, and to me a third baseman with a normalized slash line of .326/.427/.581 is pretty elite. Like Bonds he's a tad short in the plate appearance department, but in leagues like this where there are plenty of decent backups available I'm OK with that. Even Guerrero plus 75 PAs of awful is going to be better than almost everyone else's third basemen, and if I make the postseason with the extra rest there he'll be able to play every game at 100%. Low PA guys are often under-valued in drafts such as this. My only slight regret with this pick is that it precluded me from taking the 1985 Mike Scioscia, one of my favorite catchers in the sim and one of my favorite ballplayers ever since I attended game 4 of the 1988 NLCS.

Round 3 - 2015 Chase Utley

There was one elite non-twist offensive second baseman in this draft, Joe Morgan, and he was (predictably) gone before my first round pick. There was one other good non-twist offensive second baseman in this draft, Craig Biggio, and he was taken before my second round pick. Therefore, if I wanted a good offensive player at every position, I knew I was going to have to use a twist on a second baseman. There were three good twist second basemen available in this draft. Frankie Frisch went in round 2. Edgardo Alfonzo was not available to me since he was on the same team as Bonds. Therefore I had to have Utley. I've respected Chase Utley since I virtually pooped my pants from fear every time he came to the plate in the 2009 World Series, and you can't argue with a normalized .330/.407/.545 and good defense. BTW, the fact that Alfonzo lasted through round 10 of this draft completely boggles my mind. Had I known that would happen I would've taken Chipper instead of Bonds and taken Edgardo in round 10. I'm not sure I understand what people were thinking here. The name of the game is marginal value, folks.

Round 4 - 2012 Melky Cabrera

This draft went as smoothly for me as any draft I've ever done on this site. There was only one player who I really wanted and reasonably could've thought would be available with a given pick who I didn't get. David Justice was that player, and he was taken with the pick immediately before this one. As good as my offense ended up being, I would probably like my lineup twice as much if Justice were in it. Much like the rug the Chinaman peed on (and yes, I recognize that Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature) he would've really tied the room...er, lineup, together. With him gone, and with no twist-worthy catchers available, and with plenty of twistable first basemen and outfielders left on the table, I went with the non-twist case of Turtle Wax consolation prize. I've never used the Melkman before; if he delivers commiserate with his performance history I suppose I'll be pleased. But he's no Justice. Not by a long shot.

Round 5 - 1935 Ripper Collins

Speaking of hoping someone delivers commiserate with his performance history, this was an interesting decision. Not so much because of his performance history, but because of that of the other guy I was considering here, Jack Clark. As you may have gathered, I'm a big OBP and power guy. As such, I have always been intrigued by the 1987 Jack Clark, but I've always been afraid to use him because of the low batting average and the fact that homers don't play well in the sim. His performance history (.274 BA and rather anemic .465 SLG) bears that out. However, in a post-1920 theme his skill set might just play. But for whatever reason I couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe I just wanted a relative "sure thing", maybe I wanted to finally draft someone who played a full season, maybe it was my love of switch-hitters. But this pick feels kind of meh to me. Do you know who wouldn't have felt "meh"? The Crime Dog. But I was starting to get the feeling that I might not be able to fit him under the cap. And I was right.

Round 6 - Burleigh Grimes

The way this draft was going, it seemed like everyone had their primary pitchers by this point. I probably could've waited at least until round 10 for this guy. But I really wanted him, and no one else available really thrilled me, so I went with him here. And I don't regret it. He was the guy I targeted with my pitching twist all along. Why? Well, 320 innings of home run suppression certainly helps. But on top of that you get .306/.358/.432, with 8 doubles and 3 triples in 111 ABs. Look at those numbers again. Other than my Vaughan there might be two or three starting shortstops in this league who hit better than that. In a non-DH league if you want an elite offense it certainly helps to have pitchers who can turn the lineup over, and Grimes does more than that.

Round 7 - 1992 Don Slaught

This is the classic case of "40% of a catcher is better than 0% of a catcher." There were no decent 100% catchers, or even decent 60% offensive catchers, available at this point. I mean, both Johnny bleeping Roseboros, neither of whom can hit their way out of a paper bag, were long gone by now. Man I would've liked to have had that Scioscia.

Round 8 - 2013 Matt Kemp

This was a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I think the 2011 Kemp is a good player and a worthy twist, in theory. He hits for average and power, he has a good OBP, he steals fairly prolifically and efficiently, and he plays good defense. Good players cost money, and his $8.3M salary is reasonable. But in hindsight it wasn't reasonable for my team at this juncture in the draft. His 40/51 SBs is good, but most (or at least many) of the catchers in this league are going to have A+ arms, so, especially given my expected high-scoring offense, any value I derive from his speed will be minimal. Ultimately the reason I went with Kemp was his defense. The only decent defender I had in the outfield was Bonds, who will not start 30 or so games given his low PAs, and I didn't want to have to play C+/C- Melky Cabrera in CF. The problem is that because of Kemp's high salary I ended up not being able to afford a good offensive and defensive catcher to pair with Slaught, and of course, being me, I went with the offense, So I got 30 good defensive games in CF at the expense of probably 70 abyssmal defensive games at catcher. If I had instead taken Frank Howard, with a similar OBP and SLG as Kemp for $2.2M less, I could've afforded a better catcher and probably either another good reliever or better backups in the infield. I blew it here, plain and simple.

Round 9 - 1998 Kerry Ligtenberg

After the Kemp pick I recognized that I couldn't afford a standout bullpen, but I at least wanted one of the better relievers available. I surmised, correctly as it turned out, that it was pretty much now or never. The reliever run appeared to be coming, and it was. I'm perfectly pleased with this pick.

Round 10 - 1963 Dick Calmus

A decent reliever from a team that didn't have a ton of good options left. Not a lot of innings, but otherwise fine.

Round 10.5 - Red Lucas

I mentioned earlier that I planned to use this twist on a pitcher, and that I expected at least one among Eppa Rixey, Pete Donohue, Red Lucas, Waite Hoyt to be available. I was pretty surprised that all four were sitting there. I was originally leaning towards Donohue and his 310 innings of 0.10 HR/9#, but I was quickly running up against the cap. So I switched gears from a 3-man rotation to two 2-man tandems, taking 1927 Red Lucas and his 254 decent innings and .313/.368/.373 hitting prowess. This left me a starting pitcher short, but I was confident that my targeted 4th starter would be sitting there for the next several rounds.

Round 11 - 1922 Les Mann

So by this point I had recognized that I would have a salary cap problem. The last thing I wanted was to have to waste salary, so I started looking at potential danger areas; teams with few players that I could use and few cheap fill-ins. I also needed two 150+ backup OFs to replace Bonds and Melky from time to time. This pick helped on both fronts. While no one can truly replace Bonds, .330/.404/.485 isn't too bad.

Round 12 - 1938 Russ Bauers

I thought I was going to be able to wait longer on this pick because I thought everyone already had most of their starting pitching innings. Maybe I could have, but surprisingly to me, starting pitchers were still flying off the shelves and this was the guy I wanted among those still available so I grabbed him here. While a 2.99 ERC# is nothing to write home about, I like his peripherals and I think he'll do OK. While he's no Grimes or Lucas he can hit a little (at least relative to most modern pitchers) so he fits in. My two tandems will probably be Luque/Lucas and Bauers/Grimes. I'm doing it this way because Luque and Bauers are the weakest hitters of my 4 SPs, and since they'll hit 9th having them start the game will minimize their plate appearances and relatively maximize those of my pitchers who can hit. Speaking of pitchers hitting (and I'll shut up soon about this, I swear), this pick points out another reason why my Kemp pick was a bad one. I would've had to have picked him a few rounds prior to this, but 2013 Greinke would've fit in quite well with my team instead of Bauers, hitting .328/.409/.379 that season. That's kind of a legit leadoff hitter. Alas.

Something I just thought of while in the shower (as an aside, and I don't know what it is about being in the bathroom, but most of my best thinking is done while I'm showering, shaving, or sitting on the toilet) is that another way to maximize the plate appearances of my pitchers who hit well is to have them start their respective games and bat them leadoff. This would also help me save on plate appearances for a few of my low-PA hitters, allowing them to start more games. Hmmmmm...

Round 13 - 1987 Tito Landrum

There were 2 $200k guys on the 1987 Cards roster, and then a big jump to the next cheapest, and they otherwise had no one left who could help me. Just playing defense here. Unlike most of the guys on my team. <<rimshot>> Thanks. I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Round 14 - 1981 Dick Davis

My backup for Melky. .338/.392/.489 in 161 PAs. Since my two best hitters (Arky & Bonds) are left-handed I wanted to make sure my Melky replacement was a righty to balance out the lineup a little bit.

Round 15 - 1994 Andy Stankiewicz

Backup SS with a .401 OBP# to occasionally spell Arky and his 646 PAs.

Round 16 - 1994 Steve Bedrosian

Bullpen depth. I thought about going with Bielecki (super cheap and might get some guys out in a Long B role) here and then trying to add another decent reliever later, but I didn't know if any would still be around.

Round 17 - 2015 Kyle Schwarber

"You have to have a catcher because if you don't you're likely to have a lot of passed balls." - Casey Stengel. But who ever said Schwarber was a catcher? I waited so long to take another "catcher" because the 2015 Cubs had three that had roughly the number of plate appearances necessary to pair with Slaught. Of course I went with Schwarber because he's the best hitter of the three. I don't expect him to throw out any basestealers, but his defense is D rather than D- so hopefully that means we won't have too many passed balls. Catcher is clearly the weak link of my team. Have I mentioned that I really wish I had the 1985 Mike Scioscia?

Round 18 - 1966 Howie Reed

3.47 ERC# for $800k this late in the draft? Yes please.

Round 19 - 1933 Jack Salveson

Cheapest and best of the 1933 Giants scrub relievers. Will do fine in a mop-up role, or as fine as a mop-up guy can do.

Round 20 - 1975 Doug Flynn

RHH backup for Utley (613 PAs) who can hit a little. No range but A+ defense. Whatevs.

Round 21 - 1996 Mike Busch

Backup 3B for Guerrero (581 PAs). I could've gone with LHH Dave Hansen here but he can't hit any pitcher no matter what hand the guy throws with so I figured I'd take a player who might close his eyes and swing really hard and get a hold of one once or twice a season.

Round 22 - 1986 John Mizerock

Oh wait, even with Slaught and Schwarber I only have about 560 PAs at "catcher". Enter Mizerock: 107 PAs of .378 OBP# for $443k. Plus he has a D arm which is a defensive upgrade over Schwarber!

So how did I do? Well, I can say this for sure: I didn't waste any salary. Other than my $200k Landrum and my $386k mop-up Salveson I expect to use pretty much every plate appearance and inning that I drafted, and I came in at about $51k short of the cap.

Minus Landrum my team's normalized slash line is .325/.418/.547. If I get that far, my postseason lineup (assuming all starters except Slaught can play every game at 100%) has a normalized slash line of .332/.426/.570. My 1,404 innings of non mop-up pitching have a combined ERC# of 2.60, which is not great but I think will be good enough given my offense. All of my SPs are good at limiting home runs. I also believe I have an additional advantage of having the best hitting pitching staff in the league. I'd say overall I executed my strategy well, although my team would be better if I had taken Frank Howard instead of Matt Kemp, and it might have been better if I had taken Chipper instead of Bonds, though I'm less sure of that.
5/15/2017 10:07 AM (edited)
"Something I just thought of while in the shower (as an aside, and I don't know what it is about being in the bathroom, but most of my best thinking is done while I'm showering, shaving, or sitting on the toilet)..."

Doesn't this describe all of us? lol...

5/15/2017 11:16 AM
Great writeups so far. It apears that barracuda3 is the team to beat.
5/15/2017 11:28 AM
I almost didn't join this league because I knew I'd be on vacation for the first few days of the draft, but I'm glad I decided to join anyway. I wasn't able to research the beginning of the draft as well as I should have which lead to some minor errors, but oh well. To start off I knew I wanted a stud SP and didn't want to add another Dodgers team so I decided on 86 Scott. I also zeroed in on Rogers Hornsby pretty early and decided on 1927 because it's been preforming pretty good for me lately and was cheaper than some of the Cards/Cubs years.

Round 1 - 1975 Johnny Bench
I knew that I didn't want to use a twist in round 1 and it really came to a decision between Bench, Chipper, and Bonds. I eliminated Bonds first because I was worried about the salary and the lower number of PA's. Had I researched properly I probably would've selected Chipper, but I decided to get a player at a premium position who could hit pretty well and has an A+ arm.

Round 2 - 1938 Heinie Manush Twisted to 1928
I decided before the round that I wanted to get a cheap version of somebody who would be a good offensive twist to A) get a good hitter and B) try to move up in the draft order. I had Babe Herman penciled in here, but unfortunately he was taken so Manush seemed like a good backup plan as his 1928 season has treated me well in the past. I didn't really accomplish the second part of my plan though.

Round 3 - 2012 Matt Cain
I really underestimated when the run on good non-twist SP's would come. I thought I'd have another round for sure and really wanted one of the Drabek's or Schumacher, but had to settle for Matt Cain. I would've liked to get more innings out of this spot, but all his other numbers are pretty good.

Round 4 - 2015 Jon Lester
This was a bit of a panic move on my part as he was the last good SP that I had on my list that I didn't have to twist. At this point I was hoping to use Burleigh Grimes as my Round 10.5 twist (more on that later) and figured at worst Lester could be a long man/spot starter, but I had to pass on some bats at 1B and the OF that I may regret later.

Round 5 - 1933 Mel Ott Twisted to 1929
Simply put, Mel Ott is one of my guys in this game at pretty much any cap and I couldn't not take him here. The original plan was to use his 1938 season at 3B, but some other choices I made later changed my mind. Either way I was glad to have him in the fold to give me some flexibility.

Round 6 - 1985 Tom Niedenfuerer
Tom was my #2 RP behind Phil Regan when the draft started. After Schwarze took Regan I decided that I shouldn't wait too long to get my main bullpen piece. It was really as simple as I needed a RP with some innings and he was my top guy.

Round 7 - 1966 Don Drysdale Twisted to 1964
This pick was a huge pivot point in my draft. As I stated earlier I was hoping to use Grimes as my twist. I was going to take the available Maury Wills or another SS and save my last twist for another OF. When Grimes was picked I decided to slide in Drysdale to give me another top start to pair with Mike Scott. Since he and Grimes are similar in salary, it wasn't a big deal cap wise, but did limit how good my offense could be which moved my focus from offense to RP.

Round 8 - 1987 Pat Perry
I wanted a top lefty to pair with Niedenfuerer and Perry's 81 innings gave him the edge. His HR/9 is a little higher than I'd like, but not terrible by any means.

Round 9 - 2013 J.P. Howell
I zeroed in on either Paco Rodriguez or Howell because there wasn't anybody else on the team that I really needed/wanted and actually had Howell higher on my list mainly due to IP so once Paco was picked right ahead of me I was more that happy to snag Howell.

Round 10 - 1992 Zane Smith
This was kind of a big decision for me at the time. I was debating if I wanted to grab a 1B, 3B, or RP here. I hadn't take a hitter since round 5 and was starting to worry about my offense especially after seeing guys go in the previous rounds that I thought might slip. In the end, I made a list of guys at each position and realized that there were enough guys at each position (1B/3B) that were close enough numbers wise and a bigger gap at RP to justify taking Smith here. Plus another 141 decent innings at a reasonable price never hurts.

Round 10.5 - 1986 Dickie Thon Twisted to 1983
I almost took 1927 Ed Roush here. If I could've found any SS that was even OK on a team I was eligible to pick, then I would've take Roush, but alas that wasn't the case. I'm not to mad about getting a good defensive SS with decent power and speed as a consolation prize though.

Round 11 - 2015 Adrian Gonzalez
Not my first choice when I looked at the guys available at the beginning of the draft (McGriff, Rizzo, Collins, Terry, etc), but a good all around hitter and gave me a third left handed bat to help balance the lineup.

Round 12 - 1994 Ken Caminiti
I really debated this pick. It was between Caminiti and Luis Gonzalez. I thought about twisting Gonzalez, untwisting Ott (taking his 1933 season) and trying to draft 1922 Milt Stock. Looking back, that might've been the way I should've gone, but I really wasnt' sure at this point that I could afford 2001 Gonzalez and didn't want to give up a prime year of Ott if I couldn't. Plus I overestimated Stock's value and didn't thin he'd last too much longer (he went undrafted I believe). In the end I picked Caminiti over Stock because of better defense and more power and said goodbye to Gonzo because I still don't think I could've afforded him.

Round 13/14 - 1935 Roy Harrell and 1935 Pat Hafey
It was at this point that I was really starting to keep a close eye on the cap and teams that I hadn't pick from yet. I identified the 1935 Cardinals and Pirates at the teams I needed to pick from with the largest disparity between salaries available and decided to pick the 2 lowest salaries regardless of anything else to try to avoid compromising later.

Round 15 - 1996 Tom Price
I simply went through all the teams I had left to pick and found the cheapest catcher on a team that I didn't have anybody else penciled on my roster from and Prince was the best one. He only has like 70 PA's but Bench has over 600 and is going to be at the bottom of my order so I should be OK.

Round 16/17 - 1927 George Harper and 1922 Del Gainer
This was yet another case of find the cheapest guys you can on teams that don't have OF's that you're considering for your last OF spot.

Round 18 - 2003 Marquis Grissom
I finally decided on 1963 Tommy Davis, but then he was taken so I was down to 4 options at this point. Grissom, 94 Kelly, 81 Mathews, or Twisting 63 Howard (and moving Ott to 1933). I decided against the twist because Howard's main asset is power which didn't justify taking the twist off Ott. I decided against Mathews because I didn't thing that he got enough xtra base hits or stole enough bases to justify his defense. This left Grissom vs Kelly. Kelly had a better OBP and defense and I was going to take him until I put him on my roster and played out the rest of the draft. I realized that to be safe I'd need the lower salary of Grissom so he ended up being the choice out of necessity. I'm going to hit him 8th and hope he hits a dinger every once in awhile.

Round 19/20 - 1981 Luis Aguayo and 1994 Bill Pecota
Pretty simple. I needed cheap backup infielders and these guys were available.

Round 21/22 - 1963 Pete Richert and 1998 Rudy Seanez
These were the two best guys left and each can pitch a few innings if needed so it really wasn't much of a choice.

Stats for Non-Scrubs
Hitting:
5374 PA/.314/.381/.527
Pitching: 1449 IP/1.02 whip/.58 HR/9
5/15/2017 2:33 PM
I wish I had more time to think about this league. I had a key revelation about 6 rounds into the draft that would have really changed my approach. In the end, I'm not unhappy with my team, but I definitely didn't spend enough money.

Team selection: Looking for a team with a good 300+ IP starter and not a lot else, to avoid giving other owners an advantage. I thought about '33 Hubbell but someone else beat me too it, so I joined into the AL with 1975 Os/Jim Palmer. For the 2nd team, I wanted a good hitter at a scarce position, so I passed on some more interesting bats (35 Gehringer, 24 Ruth... and 22 Sisler who ultimately got picked) and took '87 Tigers/Alan Trammell. That gave me a pretty early pick in the draft. Here's the thing about an early pick - there's really not much "moving up" - if you take an expensive player, you move down.

Round 1: I had pick 3 - Clemens86 and Seaver86 were the first 2 picks. Neither was in my top 5. So I was confused. I had a cheap Foxx twist, Gehrig31, and a cheap Eddie Mathews twist as my top 3. I opted to go off my board and took '54 Newhouser to twist.

Round 2: A cheap Joe Cronin twist was at the top of my list but having Trammell, I would have had to play 1 of them out of position, so I opted for Lefty Gomez '31 and his 258 innings. With Newhouser my rotation was basically done, assuming I drafted a really deep bullpen.

Round 3: I wanted Ken Williams '22 who was somehow hanging around, but also wanted to get a great hitting catcher. I went with the catcher and took Mickey Cochrane '31. Five players in, and I've got a rotation, a shortstop and a catcher!

Round 4: Went with a 200k Eddie Mathews to twist into my 3B. There weren't a lot of great 3B options and I think in a modern league, he can hit enough to justify a high pick.

Round 5: Given the terribleness of all the '89 Royals, I took Jeff Montgomery for my bullpen ace.

Round 6: I looked longingly at a cheap Willie McGee for a twist, but didn't want to burn my last one already. I was planning to take a 2B with my "own" twist in round 10.5, since the O's had Grich and the Tigers had Whitaker, so I used another high pick on Eddie Fisher for a 2nd ace reliever. Hey, when you've got 800-something innings in your rotation, you've gotta make these moves.

Round 7: An abrupt change of heart - I decided that what I really wanted was my round 10.5 pick to be Ken Singleton, so I took the last good Bobby Doerr season to play 2B. Now I've got a rotation, 210 innings of great relief, and SS/2B/C/3B.

Round 8: Annnnnnnnd then someone picked Ken Singleton from the 75 Os. Oops. After that happened I realized what made an attractive round 10.5 player - someone who played every day, but not great, so they cost a few million but still need a twist. If I had figured that out sooner maybe things would have been different. I still had other good twist options in the outfield, but this one hurt. I picked the very cheap Chris Davis from the '11 Rangers for my 3rd twist. I know, modern HR hitters suck, even though his 2013 season happened in a year when HRs were down.

Round 9/10: Flipped a coin between Johnny Murphy '43 for a reliever (no really interesting 43 Yankees) and Rusty Greer '99. Decided to go wtih Greer who has great numbers but played in a bad era for normalization. At least he's more AVG and walks than HRs. Then Murphy made it back so I picked him in round 10. Now 3 SP, 3 RP, C/2B/SS/3B, LF and 1B

Round 10.5: Went with Tommy Davis from the O's. High AVG, low walks, let's see how he does. Debated Grant Jackson but where else would I find a .340 hitter?

Round 11: I went with Devon White '93 to get myself a CF. He's a switch hitter who can run a bit, but I'm not optimistic that his bat plays that well in this league. Passed on Dom Dimaggio in hopes of getting Matt Batts for my backup C.

Round 12/13: Very few 78 Yankees picked so went with Rawley Eastwick - great numbers except gives up some bombs. Took Darryl Knowles '71 as another solid RP from a team I didn't like that much.

Round 14 - Backup Cs were starting to go so I took Matt Batts '48. Now he and Cochrane can both hit high in the order or be good pinch hitters.

Round 15 - Allen Watson '99. Surprisingly few '99 Yankees I wanted.
Round 16: Doc Cramer '46 for a bench bat.

At this point it was pretty clear I wouldn't spend all my money. I ended up taking a 4.3m Victor Martinez (DH who can play C/1B) to spend some of the excess.

Rounded things out with Chick Shorten (PH), Billy Hunter (IF), Steve Lyons (PR), and Paniagua and Harris to fill out the bullpen. Hopefully 1485 innings is enough.

Sp1 Palmer 330ip 1.03whip 0.56/137hr .218oav# 2.14bb# 8.28ip/g 2.21erc#
Sp2 Newhouser45 332ip 1.11whip 0.14/243hr .214oav# 3.08bb# 7.83ip/g 2.29erc#
Sp3 Gomez 258ip 1.20whip 0/26/181hr .218oav# 3.07bb# 6.08ip/g 2.50erc#

SUA Montgomery 92ip 0.99whip 0.29/261hr .199oav# 2.44bb# 1.46ip/g 1.80erc#
SUA Fisher 125ip 0.94whip 0.94/102hr .199oav# 2.31bb# 2.12ip/g 2.10erc#
SUA Murphy 72ip 1.09whip 0.26/143hr .189oav# 3.85bb# 1.84ip/g 2.13erc#
SUA A Watson 35ip 1.17whip 0.79/150hr .229oav# 2.43bb# 1.63ip/g 2.59erc#
SUA D Knowles 53ip 1.06whip 0.51/151hr .229oav# 2.68bb# 1.22ip/g 2.51erc#
SUA R Harris 42ip 1.11whip 1.09/74hr .178oav# 4.47bb# 2.58ip/g 2.69erc#
SUB Paniaugua 81ip 1.32whip 0.67/179hr .227oav# 3.97bb# 1.16ip/g 3.18erc#
SUB Eastwick 65ip 1.15whip 0.97/77hr .219oav# 3.04bb# 2.17ip/g 2.88erc#

3B Mathews 709pa B/C+ 308/392/583
SS Trammell 668pa B/C 342/400/529
RF T Davis 699pa D+/D+ 347/375/530
1B C Davis 673pa A-/B+ 289/375/623
C Cochrane 556pa B-/B/B- 339/414/546 and Batts 144pa B-/D/B+ 312/380/441
LF Greer 662pa B/C- 294/395/463
2B Doerr42 667pa B-/A 293/369/468
CF White 668pa A/A 270/337/425

DH VMart 595pa 332/383/457 … C+/A/D at C, C/D- at 1B
OF Doc Cramer 236pa A+/D- 298/343/377
OF Chick Shorten 160pa A+/D+ 264/344/481

OF Steve Lyons 140pa C+/D+ 250/311/351 … D/D- at 3B, D+/D- at 1B
IF Billy Hunter 84pa 281/293/421 … A+/D- at 3B/SS

5/18/2017 12:25 PM
I have sweated out the last few rounds of the draft trying to stay under the cap without redesigning my whole team. I made it at $109,963,777. In these type of drafts I believe in drafting what I need from the start no matter the cost. I took the 2011 Detroit Tigers with Justin Verlander and 1922 George Sisler. I also counted about 8 or 9 solid options on the 2011 team that I could twist in Round 10.5

Round 0
Justin Verlander SP 251 IP 2.40/.192/.96 but a higher HR/9 .86
George Sisler 1B 688 AB .420/.467/..594

Round 1
Al Simmons OF 601 AB .390/.444/.691

Couldnt resist having a .420 hitter batting third and a .390 hitter with 22 HR batting cleanup

Round 2
Bob Feller SP Twisted to 1940 337 IP 2.61/.210/.37 HR/9

Decided I would need to use at least 2 of my twists for SP based on what was left to draft straight up

Round 3
Roberto Alomar 2b 683 AB .326/.408 and 55 - 15 SB

I needed a good lead off hitter to go into my offense and I figured Alomar was one of the best still on the board.

Round 4
Johnny Pesky SS 732 AB .331/.375 with a c/A fielding Range

Here was my number 2 hitter with an A range glove for SS

Round 5
Roger Clemens SP Twisted to 264 IP 2.05/.213/1.03

Here is where I got lucky. I have to admit I should have drafted him much earlier in the draft but missed him until now. My second twist is now gone.

Round 6
Rich Gossage Closer 134 IP 2.01/.187/1.09 27 Saves

Too be honest this is where I succumbed to the pressure of a run on Closers. I am happy with Gossage but still was concerned I was going for my bullpen before I had completed my starting staff.

Round 7
Bill Dickey C Twisted to 500 AB 22 HR .362/.428/.617

Again I lucked out finding Dickey this late. This was the twist I was sweating out whether I was going to make the salary cap limit at the end. That is why I picked up Elston Howard later on. Given Dickey's 1943 numbers which I drafted were just as good as these but for only 300 AB, I could have twisted Howard to cover part of this.

Round 8
Gene Nelson RP 75 IP 1.57/.208/.96

Again I succumber to pressure and started my run on bullpen pitchers.

Round 9
Joe Sewell 3B 602 AB .302/.390/.388 B/B

With limited selections at 3B it was either him or Kevin Seitzer

Round 10
Paul Lindblad RP 102 2.80/.213/1.07

My first left handed pitcher plus the 102 IP was nice to have.

Round 10.5
Magglio Ordonez OF Twisted to 679 AB 28 HR ..363/.434/.595

Again my third stroke of luck Ordonez with these numbers still here I now had had my number 5 hitter after Simmon .390 and before Dickey's .362

Round 11
Elston Howard Of/C .262/.312/.362

As explained earlier Howard was my insurance policy. I knew I was going to be tight against the salary cap and while Howard's number weren't fantastic here I could go a couple of different directions depending upon how the draft went.

Round 12
Pat Dobson SP/RP 125 IP 2.66/.200/1.10

Dobson is my swing pitcher. In my original plan before I grabbed Clemens was to draft and twist him to his 1972 year.

Round 13
Steve Crawford RP 54 IP 2.83/.242/1.24

Another RP Making 5 usable ones to this point.

Round 14
Darren Oliver RP 51 IP 2.28/.236/1.13

After realizing I couldn't afford Josh Hamilton as my third outfielder I decided to pull Oliver from the 2011 Rangers for a 6th usable reliver and another lefty to boot.

Round 15
Billy Hitchcock 2b/3b 141 AB .298/.341

Will supplement Sewell's AB at 3b

Round 16
John Mabry 1b/of Cap Filler

Still missing my third outfielder because I was unsure how much I would have to spend.

Round 17
Dave Henderson OF Cap filler

Round 18
Floyd Robinson OF 606 AB .301/.388/.408

Debated between Floyd and 1999 Tom Goodwin as my third OF. Goodwin had only about 440 AB and a lower BA. But Floyd had a higher salary which caused me some angst.

Round 19 - 22
Bob Reynolds P
Anse Moore Of
Danny Kolb P

Round 22 still open but will be under 700,000

My Starting lineup

Alomar 2b .326/.408
Pesky SS .331/.375
Sisler 1B ..420/.467
Simmons CF .390/.444
Ordonez RF .363/.434
Dickey C .362/.428
Robinson LF .301/.388
Sewell 3B .302/.390

Primary Subs
E. Howard .262/.312
Hitchcock .298/.341

Totals Non-Scrub 5568 AB .343/.408/..504 B/C+

SP Verlander 251 IP 2.40/.192/.92
SP Feller 337 IP 2.61/.210/1.13
SP Clemens 264 IP 2.05/.213/1.03
SP/RP Dobson 125 IP 2.66/.200/1.10
RP Gossage 134 IP 2.01/.187/1.09
RP Nelson 75 IP 1.57/.208/.96
RP Lindblad 102 IP 2.80/.213/1.07
RP Crawford 54 IP 2.83/..242/1.24
RP Oliver 51 IP 2.28/.236/1.13

Total Usable 1394 IP 2.36/.207/1.06 7.77 k/9 2.80 bb/9 .56 hr/9

Going to use Sportsman Park . I enjoyed the draft even though the pace of the American League dragged at times.

5/18/2017 9:48 PM
I just stumbled on this thread, very interesting read on what some of you guys were thinking. Now that a couple weeks have passed I certainly can't give a round by round analysis but I do have some general thoughts. First of all, very cool theme and an enjoyable draft. What I found to be so difficult (and also part of why it was so fun) was the endless variations you could get into. Basically this. . ."if I pick that guy, and that guy, and twist this guy, and this guy, and maybe get that guy later. . ." and so on and so on, with several different branches of possibilities. Trying to track how much you were spending as well as PAs and IPs became complex because of the different paths you could construct through twisting (or not twisting).

I got too caught up early in trying to find low price guys I could twist, as for some stupid reason I was concerned with improving my draft position in future rounds. In retrospect that was completely unnecessary. I ended up wasting some salary by buying too many PAs and IPs, but I still feel I have solid talent and very good defense so we'll just have to see what happens. As of this writing my team is 25-10 so either I did something right, or I'm just off to a lucky hot start (maybe a little of both?).

Anyway, also thanks to schwarze for running a very organized draft, that also makes it more enjoyable.
6/2/2017 5:24 PM
Re-Distribution Draft - Post Draft Comments Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.