S131 D2 Coach of the Year Voting is on! Topic

Congratulations to the Season 131 D2 Coach of the Year Finalists!
janeway - GLENVILLE
jmurphy8587 - SOUTH DAKOTA
mcbethbr - STONEHILL
mikesy - SLIPPERY ROCK
mojolad - HENDERSON STATE

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR VOTES TO CHETTY1963 VIA SITEMAIL BY MONDAY, MAY 15TH, 9:00PM EST. RESULTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON MONDAY NIGHT!
5/13/2017 9:15 PM
As the ONLY ONE to build his program even somewhat from scratch, JANEWAY gets my vote. Three of the candidates inherited players supplied by multi-national championship winning coaches when they took over their current jobs.
5/13/2017 10:46 PM (edited)
Building a team from scratch was not the criteria for last seasons winner. Looking at his schedule he managed to beat two human coached teams. A 5-8 Gannon team and a 9-4 Shepard team. He lost to WVA Wesleyn by 70 and lost his only playoff game by 20. Hardly COY material.
5/14/2017 12:06 AM (edited)
Besides Mikesy at Slippery Rock, none of the others have done anything the most recent coaches at that program didn't themselves do. Mikesy won a national title with upperclassmen recruited by Nelsonba and cgreenemax (aka awags). The two have a combined 100 national championships (Nelsonba has won 70 national titles, cgreene/awags has won 30). In anyone's wildest dreams, there could be almost no better a setup for any incoming coach.

Don't get me wrong. I respect the other four for being good enough that they didn't screw up the program and I'm friends with a couple of them. I'm just not sure these five coaches are the best five candidates.
5/14/2017 1:06 AM (edited)
I am going to agree with you Buck. I am also going to abstain from voting. I took the job for that very reason.Hell someone had to take it lol. You may also notice Nelson didn't do that great with this team last season. In fact we beat him by thirty plus in the CC .I had to make some tough choices along the way. Using a defense that wasn't our strong suit because I have zero experience with the 3-4. The same on offense. My background is mostly PRO set not the ND box that was our strength. But I had confidence in what I do.So I took chances with what we ran. Truthfully, in my wildest dreams I never thought I would be able to or have to beat mcbethbr,Slid64er and jmurphy in a row to win the NC.But I did.That is enough for me.

It is a pleasure to play in a world where we have so many great coaches.
5/14/2017 1:48 AM
I acknowledge the job you did was a good one, Mikesy. Beating those coaches DOES mean something. And though you did a better job than Nelson did, I am just not positive it is as hard to do as winning with a team made from nothing.

I haven't looked, but were there any coaches who did an amazing job with a roster filled with sim signings? Or a coach who built a team from scratch and achieved the highest point that school has hit in ages? Someone who completely came out of nowhere?

Note that most definitely was NOT me. I did my worst job yet, lmao.
5/14/2017 2:58 AM (edited)
It's a tough vote for sure with all of the reasons stated above. I'm not sure who I'll vote for but I think BTGraves did the best job for the talent he had. I'm sure he wasn't top 20 on Wilk Central or GD. 10-4 record in the toughest conference in D-2 (8 human coaches), clinched division, and just barely missed the playoffs.
5/14/2017 9:17 AM
Keep the votes coming fellas! Very close vote right now in D2.

Deadline is 9pm EST Monday night!
5/14/2017 9:17 PM (edited)
S131 D2 Coach of the Year Voting is on! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.