Switching offense/defense Topic

Does playing the new system in games help the IQ increase more quickly or are practice minutes the only thing that matter? Should I practice the new system but run the old system for half the season until my IQ's get in the C range? First time switching systems so I don't know what I am doing.
5/14/2017 12:24 PM
Only practice matters in terms of IQ.

Yes, definitely run the old system until you're caught up in IQ. It's silly to run an offense or defense with D's and Fs when you have one with A's and B's.
5/14/2017 2:19 PM
Expect an email from your assistant coach questioning what you're doing: "Why are we practicing X when we don't use it in a game."
5/14/2017 3:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
5/14/2017 8:18 PM
WE also affects IQ growth.
5/14/2017 9:03 PM
Just a follow up to my initial post. I have been running my new offense and defense because I have no shot of being competitive this season anyway. I figured the practice I could get game planning was more valuable than a couple extra wins I could gain by playing the old system.

To the point, are we sure playing time in the system you are practicing doesn't matter? I have a walk-on who hasn't gotten in a game yet, and a Sim recruit who has played 5 minutes and they are both at D- IQ's while all of my guys that are getting playing time are D or D+. Maybe I am just reading into a coincidence?

Thanks.
5/18/2017 8:04 AM
Assuming you're talking about Smith, your IQ development mirrors mine.

I'm not 100% sold that playing the O/D doesn't matter but far too many established vets have said it doesn't. So I'm inclined to believe them.
5/18/2017 8:15 AM
Correct Mike. I'm talking about Smith. I'm sure they are right. I'm probably just looking into something that isn't there.
5/18/2017 8:17 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/18/2017 8:15:00 AM (view original):

I'm not 100% sold that playing the O/D doesn't matter but far too many established vets have said it doesn't. So I'm inclined to believe them.
Playing time has no effect on IQ
5/18/2017 9:17 AM
Posted by mullycj on 5/18/2017 9:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/18/2017 8:15:00 AM (view original):

Playing time has no effect on IQ
Hence the "but far too many established vets have said it doesn't. So I'm inclined to believe them" part.
5/18/2017 9:24 AM
IMO, it makes sense if you're running it in games, you're getting better at it. However, for gameplay, it makes more sense to not do it that way. Ideally, you want every team trying to win every game. The best way to do that is to run the O/D your players know best. Personally, since effort to win isn't that important in HD(no budget gain by building a bad team, no draft position, etc), I'm not sure why it's programmed that way.
5/18/2017 12:18 PM
Posted by tgblackw on 5/18/2017 8:04:00 AM (view original):
Just a follow up to my initial post. I have been running my new offense and defense because I have no shot of being competitive this season anyway. I figured the practice I could get game planning was more valuable than a couple extra wins I could gain by playing the old system.

To the point, are we sure playing time in the system you are practicing doesn't matter? I have a walk-on who hasn't gotten in a game yet, and a Sim recruit who has played 5 minutes and they are both at D- IQ's while all of my guys that are getting playing time are D or D+. Maybe I am just reading into a coincidence?

Thanks.
your high school recruits come in at a high F, usually only requiring 15-20 minutes of practice time to get to a D-.
The sim recruits tend to be an old school low F, and take 40-60 minutes to get to a D-.

After they reach D-, they both will improve at their expected rate.
5/18/2017 6:33 PM
I'm a good ways from having to make a decision but at what IQ point does it make sense to switch defenses? I can hide offense IQ with distribution so I believe the answer is "When they're almost the same" for offense. I just don't know on defense.

I have 3 FR, 2 F and 1 C- in M2M, getting 58 minutes per game. The other 7 getting PT are B- or better.
12/27/2017 12:46 PM
Every game is different. Sometimes it's more advantageous to run with lower IQ's if you're going with multiple O's and D's. If I have A in motion and man to man and have B's in FB/FCP and playing a team with 7 or 8 players, I'm going with FB/FCP. Or if I have A in FCP and have B's in zone and the other team drives to the basket for the purpose of scoring inside and picking up fouls, I'm going 2-3 zone against that team, despite having a B IQ in defense.
12/27/2017 12:54 PM
I've been told IQ is super important in zone. I can't imagine running a pile of D+ zone guys out there is a good idea.
12/27/2017 1:05 PM
12345 Next ▸
Switching offense/defense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.