Replace Play Style Preference Topic

I'm a fan of preferences, I think they add a great layer of interest to the game. I think nearly every preference is a strong addition to the game, but it seems the Play Style preference has barely any impact. My proposal: Make it stronger or kill it off. I'd opt to kill it off because you already have off/def preferences, which heavily contribute to your play style.

Perhaps we could replace it with a better preference. One I've thought about recently is an NBA pipeline preference, which obviously plays a huge role in real life (see: Kentucky, Texas a few years ago). Certain players would have a preference for an NBA pipeline school (which could also predict likelihood of EE!) and the preference could be calculated similar to prestige, with certain higher draft picks being worth more. I think it could be a fascinating wrinkle to the game, especially when a small school ends up becoming an NBA pipeline school.

Anyway, all thoughts are appreciated.
5/14/2017 3:21 PM
I'd like WIS to add an academic strength preference based on a team's cumulative GPA.
5/14/2017 5:14 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 5/14/2017 5:14:00 PM (view original):
I'd like WIS to add an academic strength preference based on a team's cumulative GPA.
I like this a lot.
5/14/2017 6:07 PM
+1

I (in addition to many other people) said this during beta. An academic preference would be GREAT! Maybe if enough people submit a ticket for that feature request... (nudge nudge, wink wink)

I submitted a feature request on 3/19/2013 to be able to change a player's listed position and even went as far to say it should be limited to before the season starts (so you don't get shady coaches changing positions at the last second just to get certain awards). Finally that feature was added last year! Vindication!
5/14/2017 8:09 PM
It's a good thread, two solid ideas.
5/14/2017 8:39 PM
I was amongst those who championed this idea in Beta...still love it! It would give coaches a more valid reason to seek out high-GPA recruits and an incentive to maintain standards for Study Hall time rather than -- as some are inclined to do -- always setting it to the bare minimum in order to avoid ineligibility.

Also, I'd like to see GPA as a true search criteria (where you could set minimums and/or maximums)...and not simply just a "sort-by" criteria.
5/14/2017 11:19 PM
This was mentioned in BETA and it went nowhere. Maybe if enough people support it, WIS will reconsider. I think it is a great idea.
5/15/2017 12:35 AM
On the NBA pipeline idea: that really only applies to D1, so the other 2 divisions would essentially be down a preference
5/15/2017 8:27 AM
Posted by bfflcommish on 5/14/2017 11:19:00 PM (view original):
I was amongst those who championed this idea in Beta...still love it! It would give coaches a more valid reason to seek out high-GPA recruits and an incentive to maintain standards for Study Hall time rather than -- as some are inclined to do -- always setting it to the bare minimum in order to avoid ineligibility.

Also, I'd like to see GPA as a true search criteria (where you could set minimums and/or maximums)...and not simply just a "sort-by" criteria.
"I ain't here to play school" - Cardele Jones
5/15/2017 8:51 AM
Cardele graduated this week!
5/15/2017 12:33 PM
party school or academic school

warm or cold weather

hot women

availability of ...UNC....phoney...UNC...classes....UNC

quality engineering, architecture, criminology, programming
5/15/2017 4:38 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 5/15/2017 4:39:00 PM (view original):
party school or academic school

warm or cold weather

hot women

availability of ...UNC....phoney...UNC...classes....UNC

quality engineering, architecture, criminology, programming
Many of these would require WIS to constantly update the game with ever changing real world school logic. Being that we haven't even had an update to conference structure or baseline prestige... Many of these are outside the scope of what WIS is willing to do. However a GPA preference is something that requires nothing but coding and an automatically created system that requires no maintenance from staff.
5/15/2017 5:50 PM
Warm v cold is easy.

Add a hot women preference and the threads arguing about the ranking of different schools could be hilarious
5/15/2017 6:02 PM
Posted by metsmax on 5/15/2017 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Warm v cold is easy.

Add a hot women preference and the threads arguing about the ranking of different schools could be hilarious
Coaching in Hawai'i would finally have something to offset the distance penalty.
5/15/2017 6:04 PM
I love the NBA Pipeline and GPA ideas. I know the NBA Pipeline one would only apply to D1 schools, but I don't see that as much of an issue if it's only a preference for some D1 recruits. It'd be an interesting strategy add to devote more time than the minimum to study hall to boost your rating for recruiting.
5/15/2017 6:05 PM
12 Next ▸
Replace Play Style Preference Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.