Was just thinking Topic

If all 324 D-1 teams were filled with human coaches, what a frustrating game it would be.You would have 4 or 5 teams on every decent recruit. Had they ever taken that into consideration if they did fill it, that the current 3.0 system would cause more problems than it would solve?
5/16/2017 5:51 PM
How so?
5/16/2017 5:53 PM
If you had 5 coaches at very high, there would be a lot more luck involved in terms of getting a recruit. It's frustrating enough with just one other coach battling.
5/16/2017 5:55 PM
Coaches would know that. Don't you think they'd be capable of adapting?

After all, "we" talk of realism all the time. Don't you think there are dozens of schools contacting the top 100 HS players?
5/16/2017 5:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/16/2017 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Coaches would know that. Don't you think they'd be capable of adapting?

After all, "we" talk of realism all the time. Don't you think there are dozens of schools contacting the top 100 HS players?
It would be much much harder to adapt. And not all coaches do, some will just haphazardly go all in.

But again, as mentioned in other threads, there is less luck involved when it comes to real life recruiting.
5/16/2017 5:59 PM
I don't know that there's less luck involved in real life recruiting. They get paid to recruit. They fail, they get fired. So it stands to reason that they are more cautious. When it gets dicey, i.e. several schools are all in, they turn their attention to other recruits. IOW, when a kid says "These are my top 5", everyone else bails. In HD, you might see 10, because the idiotic alphabetical order stops at Duke, still slinging attention his way when he's already leaning in another direction. Because, in HD, you don't lose your job for failing on a recruiting class(or, really, unless you forget to renew).

Anyway, I think the smart users would adapt just fine. It's the hard-headed ones that would struggle.
5/16/2017 6:05 PM
The key difference between RL and HD is that the percentage of a school's resources that it sinks into any singular random recruit in RL is a fraction of the percentage of the school budget that coaches might sink into recruiting someone in HD. If Duke goes all in on its No. 1 target in RL and loses out on said player to North Carolina, it hasn't invested between a third and a half of its overall recruiting budget in that singular battle. It has more than enough to go toe-to-toe for every other player at the top of its list and won't even break stride doing so.

Not so in HD.

We can throw the word "adapt" around, but at some point we also need to acknowledge that the resource wall impedes and eventually prohibits the degree of adaptation that coaches have at their disposal.
5/16/2017 7:21 PM
I thought Phelan D1 was brutal this season. Many battles as it seemed there were not many talented players.

Adapting in TheWiZ scenario would mean seeing stats differently and evaluating players the same. It would make it hell.
5/16/2017 8:51 PM
A full world would be fun. I am game. Keys would be game planning and maximizing the talent you get.
5/16/2017 9:04 PM
I love super competitive recruiting. I think it would lead to an awesome game where some really good coaches had "down years" and would struggle to make the NT.
5/16/2017 9:22 PM
I was in season 1 in Iba (different account) which was full at d3 (obviously) It was crazy but a lot of fun. I think it helped that no one really knew what they were doing.

i think if a world filled now, there'd be serious races to be one of the five campus visits. D2s wouldn't be getting anyone remotely d1 worthy.
5/16/2017 9:57 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/16/2017 9:22:00 PM (view original):
I love super competitive recruiting. I think it would lead to an awesome game where some really good coaches had "down years" and would struggle to make the NT.
I'm for competitive recruiting, except take the percentages/dice roll/coin flip etc out of it. Coach that puts in most effort with preferences and prestige factored in, gets the recruit.

If you're going to have super competitive recruiting with odds coming into play, give some of the teams an opportunity to have an adequate backup option.
5/16/2017 9:59 PM
It's also a bit different at D-3, because you get the luxury of picking from D-1, D-2 that are left over and all of D-3. I would be surprised if there is a coach at D-1 that uses most of his scouting budet on D-2 players.
5/16/2017 10:05 PM
Posted by rednu on 5/16/2017 7:21:00 PM (view original):
The key difference between RL and HD is that the percentage of a school's resources that it sinks into any singular random recruit in RL is a fraction of the percentage of the school budget that coaches might sink into recruiting someone in HD. If Duke goes all in on its No. 1 target in RL and loses out on said player to North Carolina, it hasn't invested between a third and a half of its overall recruiting budget in that singular battle. It has more than enough to go toe-to-toe for every other player at the top of its list and won't even break stride doing so.

Not so in HD.

We can throw the word "adapt" around, but at some point we also need to acknowledge that the resource wall impedes and eventually prohibits the degree of adaptation that coaches have at their disposal.
This is correct and the reason I think users would adapt. Say 18 schools are chasing the #1 recruit. That means some likely won't have the resources to chase #2, #3. Which would open the door for other schools to go after them KNOWING 11 of that first 18 can't go after them. So would those 11 stay on #1 or drop down to #3 where only nine teams are in? Or even go to #12 where only 5 teams are active?

And, to repeat what another user posted, D3 schools likely get no ranked players. Suddenly that #128 C that D1 humans won't even look at now has true D1 value.

I certainly don't think the game would implode with a full D1. I think it would be super competitive and users would have to decide if the highly coveted #2 with a dozen schools apparently all is really worth the gamble when #28 has only one other school on him. Or if it would be better to get #47 AND #63 who aren't garnering any attention.

5/17/2017 7:01 AM
Posted by jaxorbetter on 5/16/2017 9:57:00 PM (view original):
I was in season 1 in Iba (different account) which was full at d3 (obviously) It was crazy but a lot of fun. I think it helped that no one really knew what they were doing.

i think if a world filled now, there'd be serious races to be one of the five campus visits. D2s wouldn't be getting anyone remotely d1 worthy.
I see this would be you biggest problem with a "Full D1". Lets just say you and several of your friends at D2 or D3 got together, and went Max AP on the top D1 recruits, it could be possible that more top recruits fall to D2 and D3 because fewer D1 Schools could afford the MAX AP on top recruits.

Luckily, will never happen, so why worry ourselves on "coulda, woulda" stuff. Even with free seasons, WIS cannot get full D3. Why do any of us think D1 would fill up in any World?
5/17/2017 7:30 AM
12 Next ▸
Was just thinking Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.