3.0 Strategy Discussion Topic

There have been some strategy issues that I've been mulling around in my mind from a game theory standpoint...over the next few days I'm thinking I'll throw a few of the scenarios out there and see how the masses view it. Here's the first...

----------
At D1 -- better to recruit to fill all 12 roster slots for depth or aim for a 10-man roster to always leverage the extra AP's from the two perennial walk-on slots into recurring scouting/recruiting advantages? Does your evaluation change for D2 or D3?
----------

From my standpoint, the game engine as it now stands favors intentionally under-recruiting at D1 so as to leverage slightly more recruiting cash each year, enabling a school to go all-in on their top targets where the law of percentages/averages will provide them with a net overall advantage over the long haul. At D3, I think it would be a great strategy in order to enable a school to do a more thorough job of scouting. Others' thoughts?
5/16/2017 7:32 PM
Posted by rednu on 5/16/2017 7:32:00 PM (view original):
There have been some strategy issues that I've been mulling around in my mind from a game theory standpoint...over the next few days I'm thinking I'll throw a few of the scenarios out there and see how the masses view it. Here's the first...

----------
At D1 -- better to recruit to fill all 12 roster slots for depth or aim for a 10-man roster to always leverage the extra AP's from the two perennial walk-on slots into recurring scouting/recruiting advantages? Does your evaluation change for D2 or D3?
----------

From my standpoint, the game engine as it now stands favors intentionally under-recruiting at D1 so as to leverage slightly more recruiting cash each year, enabling a school to go all-in on their top targets where the law of percentages/averages will provide them with a net overall advantage over the long haul. At D3, I think it would be a great strategy in order to enable a school to do a more thorough job of scouting. Others' thoughts?
The two walk-ons a season, unless you press works well.
5/16/2017 8:42 PM
D3 : I still haven't figured D3 strats that are working well. Maybe it's the reason D3 gets emptier every season.
5/16/2017 8:44 PM
Off the top of my head I would think these might work but they are untested beyond myself in 3.0. I am still tinkering with the flexible strategy part in D1.

At D1, Fill all 12 with with fast break and FCP or if you play uptempo. Otherwise fill 11 of 12 to cover for injuries and give flexibility to adapt strategy. If you have an A or better prestige school you can get away with regular 10 man rosters because you are getting and competing for the top players in the nation.

Take away one player from each if playing D2. You can put together a good roster to compete with as there are enough D1 players available. Classes 3-3-3-2 or 4-4-3 with at least one position left open all the time.

?In D3 fill all 12. The top D3 programs will pull in a low D1 roster and the remaining recruits available won't get you a chance for 10+ seasons unless you take over an A+ prestige school. If you want to win sooner Run the opposition to death. Set classes to 5-5-2 or 6-6. Get good developmental D1/high D2 talent with stamina that can wear other teams down.

A and better prestige schools can do 9-10 man rotations at any level because of the players they get and the coaches they have.

Just my thoughts
5/16/2017 8:59 PM (edited)
At D2 and D3 I think it is even MORE advantageous to have the walkons for the extra scouting money. I have yet to figure out a way to scout efficiently at those levels.
5/16/2017 9:07 PM
What if I run press at D3? Shouldn't I want a roster of 11-12 scholarship athletes every season?
5/16/2017 9:49 PM
Posted by zorzii on 5/16/2017 8:44:00 PM (view original):
D3 : I still haven't figured D3 strats that are working well. Maybe it's the reason D3 gets emptier every season.
I've had no trouble filling my D3 teams with the top D2 players that I'm seeing from scouting and pretty much getting my pick of the litter. My Emory team, for instance, consists only of D2 players (ditto for Nebraska Wesleyan for that matter). Whether that's enough to win a championship vs. a team in a good location that can grab D1 players remains to be seen or if grabbing D1 stragglers is a requisite, we shall see.
5/16/2017 9:53 PM
Personally, I'd rather take the walk ons at DIII for the extra scouting money.
5/16/2017 10:57 PM
D3 strategy:

Don't waste any money scouting D3
Use Scout Service. Scout your state and the states surrounding yours.
Generally you only need to get to the scouting color level to see whether a guy is worth adding to a short list.
If any human owner at a higher level jumps on, just get off player.
Give yourself a variety of options. Wait until phase two.
Your list truly becomes a short list.
These are the players you recruit.

I personally never have more than 15 guys on my shortlist. I usually only put AP on a few beyond the openings.

Each season I see guys who don't get recruited, don't get signed and are totally worth a D3 team getting. Always wishing I had the ability to keep cutting and signing.
5/16/2017 11:11 PM (edited)
I agree with shooting for twelve, but taking two walk ons at all levels. If I have a ten man rotation, and no quality recruits still available, I am happy. Would rather have the extra Cash and AP's.

At D3 I will scout only the home State, and concentrate on D1 local (low hanging fruit) and D2 all over. Currently have no D2 teams, but at D2 only recruit D2 for the Home State, and otherwise only at D1 otherwise.

I have a D1 team that had ten openings to fill (I thought Sim Super Classes were supposed to end) , and think I have found recruiting for six and taking four walk ons could be a good formula. I actually am going for seven, but recruited an Ineligible that may not ever report so I have offered a Similar level one recruit that I only made an offer to with no effort. Not Considering anybody, so he too could be garbage.
5/17/2017 7:45 AM
When do you battle and when do you pull back? D3 scouting, I do as Rednu and others are talking about but it seems the longer recruiting period for D3 makes for many intangibles. I mean, even SIMS show up.
5/17/2017 7:56 AM
I battle (at any level) if:

I think I have a reasonable chance of winning (or getting to VH now).
I don't have another option that is close to as good.

5/17/2017 10:53 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/17/2017 10:53:00 AM (view original):
I battle (at any level) if:

I think I have a reasonable chance of winning (or getting to VH now).
I don't have another option that is close to as good.

Trouble with D3 is that you are in fights everywhere unless you pick last and just go for players nobody wants.
5/17/2017 11:13 AM
Both strategies, and other strategies in between can work. I know a lot of people would rather take walk ons and get more resources next time around, rather than take projects or role player types. But there's plenty of value in having guys who can step in - if needed - rather than walk ons, especially when they often become assets as juniors and seniors off the bench, with high IQs. Pros and cons to both approaches, as it should be. I've mostly settled into a place where I'm going all-in, including promises, on two, sometimes three higher level guys every season, and using the rest of my resources to lock in 4-year role players I generally don't have to battle (much) for. I don't mind taking a walk on, but I try not to take more than one in a season. I like having roster flexibility year in and year out more than resources to add an extra battle or two.
5/17/2017 11:32 AM
With my better teams like Southern Mississippi, I can run a 10 man rotation in the press. With my D prestige team at Penn, I don't have the stamina to run a 10 man rotation. I need 11-12. Stamina is a big part of how many players you need.
5/17/2017 11:47 AM
12 Next ▸
3.0 Strategy Discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.