Are you willing to join D1 Rupp... Topic

Because I don't feel like starting an argument with people not posting in this thread, I'll just refer to the "participation trophy" or "pay your dues" or "Bullshit. The #3 PG would NOT choose Elon over UNC!!" comments. Next time you see those, or someone griping about dice rolls, that's the guy at a top program. And he doesn't like that he's not guaranteed Elite 8 every season.

I've always said those who were good before will be good now. They understand the game itself better than most. They just have to fight for the top recruits now and that's different than before.
12/21/2017 6:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2017 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Plus I used to be pretty mean about everything. So, if his panties got bunched back then, he probably never unbunched them.
Yeah, that must be it....
12/21/2017 6:56 PM
Don't get all butthurt.
12/21/2017 7:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2017 4:36:00 PM (view original):
I'm about to head to the gym so I don't have much time.

I'm sure seble listened to the users and decided what he felt was best for the company. You don't have to be a mindreader to know a lot of those who are unhappy but still around were "protecting their turf". You know "participation trophy!!!", "pay your dues!!!", "no way would that recruit go to that crap C- school", etc, etc. I'm sure many of the suggestions were along those lines. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that having the top always remain on top is the way to sell a game. IOW, not many are willing to put in 6-7 seasons before taking UNC Asheville. Then playing with that mess for several seasons before being "lucky enough" to get a terrible B10 team. That's 2 real life years in an ADD society. While the changes were unpopular, they probably didn't tilt the scales far enough to bring in more users because of that 2 year journey to a bad SEC team.

So we have a game that old school didn't like and new school doesn't find enticing due to the 2 year slog to bad teams in good conferences. But they tried. Yay?
Anyway, the fact that I don't recall interaction with TJ aside, WifS designed a game that is different enough to make the old-timers yearn for the "good ol' days" but not different enough to bring in new folks.

I don't have a problem with recruiting. It seems that prestige is still a big deal and, other than a few mid-majors making runs, the big boys are still the big boys. Maybe, if the Ivy League or Big South begin to run consistent NT finalists out there, it could be looked at.

The biggest problem in my mind is the trek to a bad D1 team. I'm hoping we can clear 150 in Rupp but would really like to see how it works with 50% capacity in D1. To me, I'd like to let new users get their feet wet in D1, the dregs of D1, as they can at least see what happens in the NT without changing divisions. If WifS wanted to cap "D1 entry" at 200 then make them start at D2 and "earn their stripes", so be it. But if I guy joins wanting to be Coach K, he can recognize that Duke is taken so he can get as close as Greensboro.

The new game does not support the old "pay your dues" way. You can still pay your dues in the Big South.
12/21/2017 7:20 PM
Love the D1 scouting budget. In D2/D3 I was like "Ehhhhh, maybe I should look some more before going another level." In D1, I'm like "YEAH!!! SCOUT THAT ***** TO 4!!!!!!!!!!!!"
12/21/2017 8:03 PM
Btw you CHOSE to go to UNC Nash. Successful D2 coaches can go straight into low level Big 6 schools if they want . So no one is forcing them to start at the bottom of DI.

12/22/2017 7:17 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2017 7:03:00 PM (view original):
Don't get all butthurt.
Damn, I was wrong. This guy IS funny.
12/22/2017 8:09 AM
the GLV in Rupp had some long term coaches that had pretty good success in D2 over 20+ seasons.

In the past few seasons we had a few coaches jump directly from the GLV to Arizona, Kansas and Boston College.
12/22/2017 8:12 AM
Posted by mullycj on 12/22/2017 7:17:00 AM (view original):
Btw you CHOSE to go to UNC Nash. Successful D2 coaches can go straight into low level Big 6 schools if they want . So no one is forcing them to start at the bottom of DI.

Yeah, I know what I chose and why I chose it. That doesn't change the journey. I guess it could be 4 seasons, one at D3 then three exceptional seasons at D2, but what user starting from "I don't know ****" is going to have 3 exceptional D2 seasons immediately? I can't imagine less than 8 seasons for a brand new user to get bottom feeder Big 6 school eligible. I still think it's more like 10-12. That's a long *** time in this ADD society. Too long.
12/22/2017 8:22 AM
Posted by oldwarrior on 12/22/2017 8:13:00 AM (view original):
the GLV in Rupp had some long term coaches that had pretty good success in D2 over 20+ seasons.

In the past few seasons we had a few coaches jump directly from the GLV to Arizona, Kansas and Boston College.
20+ seasons is longer than the dozen I'm griping about.
12/22/2017 8:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/22/2017 8:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 12/22/2017 7:17:00 AM (view original):

Yeah, I know what I chose and why I chose it. That doesn't change the journey. I guess it could be 4 seasons, one at D3 then three exceptional seasons at D2, but what user starting from "I don't know ****" is going to have 3 exceptional D2 seasons immediately? I can't imagine less than 8 seasons for a brand new user to get bottom feeder Big 6 school eligible. I still think it's more like 10-12. That's a long *** time in this ADD society. Too long.
BTW, after I win their first NT game ever, UNC Asheville will name the Coliseum after me. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
12/22/2017 8:30 AM
124 with three hours left.
2/7/2018 1:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17
Are you willing to join D1 Rupp... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.