Mordecai Needs 4. We won't pay you to join us. Topic

Mordecai has just rolled over into our 44th season, and we're looking for 4 new owners.

We have been private for our first 42 seasons before going public to fill after a long layover last season. I have every intention of filling it privately again this season. We were lucky to get some decent owners after going public last season.

Available teams:
AL North Team - After 44 seasons, we said goodbye to an original Mordecai owner, who just didn't have time for the game anymore (hence its poor performance the past several years). This is a team with several higher draft picks the last several years, and should be ready to make a jump.

AL West Team - This franchise is also saying goodbye to an original owner. This team was a powerhouse for a LONG time, but has endured 4 poor seasons while the owner's interest declined. Again, lots of high draft picks, and the team plays in a very weak division. With some tweaks, this team is an immediate playoff contender.

NL North Team - This team is looking for some stability, after having 6 owners in 10 seasons. That instability has resulted in 5 4th-place finishes in the last 6 seasons. This team needs some attention.

NL East Team - This team traditionally sits around .500 and is borderline playoff caliber in its division. WIth the right additions, it can immediately be a playoff team.

NL West Team - This team is a perennial World Series contender. They have won their division 8 straight seasons, topping 100 wins in 6 of those 8. The team is starting to age, but still has plenty of strength to run for another couple of season. This is the team you want for a "win now" approach.

As for the world itself:

Mordecai is a great, low-key, competitive, yet friendly private league. No infighting, no drama, no traderaping... just a bunch of guys interested in competitive play. We have had several seasons where no owners have left and no openings to fill. Many of our owners have been here 30+ seasons and have this as their only team. I really couldn't ask for a better group of guys in this world.

While we don't have any hardcore membership rules, this is what I would like to see in a new owner:

- I prefer an owner who doesn't have several other teams. You're a member of Mordecai, I want you to pay attention to this team. I find that owners of large numbers of teams are not as attentive. They aren't necessarily bad owners... they just aren't as attentive. In general, I tend to shy away from anyone who has 5 or more teams already.

- A proven track record. I will look at your history. If you have a bunch of one-and-dones, or have a history of your teams getting worse rather than better, we're probably not a good fit. I pride myself on finding owners who will commit to long-term, competitive teams.

- I want someone who can show they know how to play the game without tanking to get there. I understand the need to rebuild, but don't plan on winning 40 games per year on your way to "rebuilding". It IS possible to rebuild and be competitive at the same time. If your winning percentage stays under .400 for any length of time, expect a message from me.

- I like owners who are active in world chat. Contribute something to the world.

- Owners should be willing to maintain their minor league system. I dont expect you to sign overpriced free agents to try and win in the minors... but I dont think its asking too much to sign your draft picks, maintain a rested pitching staff, promote appropriately to prevent tons of retirements, etc.

- I have been known to consider HBD n00bs in the past, but you'll really need to impress me. A sitemail with just "I'm interested" probably isn't going to get it done.

Anyone who can meet (or exceed) these criteria will likely be a good fit for Mordecai.

I know I sound like a hardass above, but this is only in the "find a new owner" phase. Once we get rolling, I chill out. :)

If you are interested in joining our world, please sitemail me ASAP. Thanks.

FWIW... you will never see this world offer paid incentives to join (as long as I am commissioner). I believe those types of worlds result in a lot of short-term owners, and they'll be back in the same boat again in a season or two. I'm more interested in stable, long-term owners.
6/2/2017 1:29 PM (edited)
Added a 5th available team that was unexpectedly available.
5/23/2017 10:56 AM
1 team gone. 4 left.
5/23/2017 10:37 PM
Great write up Steve! As per usual our Commish put in the time and effort to keep this thing going making Mordecai one of the most competetive and eldest Worlds in HBD! Just need 4 to start season 44, somebody is gonna get a World Series contender out the box, a few other good setups available as well, lets get it!
5/24/2017 5:01 PM
Two teams gone, 3 to go!
5/24/2017 11:10 PM
Nothing says Memorial Day like baseball! Add a new team and come join our world!
5/29/2017 10:52 AM
Bump to the top
5/29/2017 7:32 PM
Bump.
5/30/2017 11:16 PM
The AL West team has become available again. That is a team ready to win a championship today.
5/31/2017 9:33 PM
Bump
6/2/2017 9:49 AM
Two teams left. The NL East and NL North are still available.
6/3/2017 7:36 PM
Don't let the fact that Mordecai is now a public world scare you away. Mordecai has been a private world most of its life and has many long term owners in it. Grab a team today.
6/4/2017 5:31 PM
Mordecai Needs 4. We won't pay you to join us. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.