Pro Set vs I Formation Topic

Both are balanced offenses but could someone explain the difference in the game between the 2 if there is any??

I'm seeing a few more better players using pro set over the I and am wondering why??

Thank you!
5/20/2017 6:36 PM
The current engine likes passing offenses vs running offenses. I think the general feeling is/was that the I-Formation is better for running offenses. But like you say, not many people use that formation right now, so I don't know if there really is much data to show how the I-Formation does in this engine. Especially with passing offenses.
5/20/2017 6:56 PM
thanks for the answer bj
5/20/2017 10:03 PM
A lot of people may not agree, but I run them both. I have my classes structured around the 2 WR - 2 RB personnel. It allows me to have 20 formations to play around with in my playbooks instead of 10.
5/21/2017 11:42 AM
In previous versions of the engine (not sure if this still applies) there was a bonus/penalty associated with each formation. i.e. Wishbone 5% bonus to running plays and -5% passing (not exact). The pro set had a bonus to passing and I to running. I have not seen anything lately indicating these have carried on.
5/21/2017 12:05 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The question I have is, does this engine even distinguish between the two? They both have 2 RB, 2 WR. So does the simulator even care how they are lined up? Or are they just duplicates?
5/21/2017 5:24 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Yup. I remember an old developer chat where that was discussed. and supposedly there was a slight edge to pro for passing and I for running. What that edge was or if it even exists anymore is a question only Thor on Mount Olympus knows; or some other divine being(Jobu from Major League ? :)
PS: I have , and I have seen done, won NC's with every offensive formation except WB. So I know it can be done. Currently Im running I only and ND only and winning NC's with them.
My point is - Pick a formation . I dont think it makes a helluva whole lot of difference which . Main thing is whatever formation(s) you use make sure you recruit for it so you have constant pipeline of players reaching jr and sr ready to start and win. Only formation I have had trouble with is WB. But I believe others have won with it.
5/21/2017 6:16 PM (edited)
There are differences in the two offenses and when defending against them with my 3-4 defense I have to make significant adjustments to account for those differences. The way that I try to understand it is to imagine that I am looking down over the field from a bird's eye view. I believe that the calculations that take place in the game engine formula that give us the results of a play are not conducted instantly but in steps. These steps are in effect timed intervals, I just use one-second intervals to keep it simple. At the beginning of the play the offense lines up in a formation, and the defensive players are then aligned by the game engine to that formation and the depth of the pass defenders is set according to the settings in the defensive playbook. So as you look down on the field and watch the players begin to move, freeze it every second while the game engine goes through its calculation and moves the pieces (Players) on the game board (Field). Think about the data that must be inputted into the formula to make this work, you have the attributes of the players that are matching up head to head, you have their experience level, their fatigue level etc. But a huge factor is the distance between the players at the beginning of the play, as the play develops defenders must close that distance in order to get involved in a play. So the beginning distance and the speed of the players involved matters. Now from your view above the field examine the difference in the beginning distances for the receivers and blockers between an I-Formation and a Pro-Set offense. You should now be able to see how both the coverage on the field and the blocking on running plays will change between the two offenses, it also changes which players on defense will have the time to cross the field and get involved in a given play.

I have often advised coaches that if they wanted to use multiple offenses I suggest Pro-Set, I-Formation and NDB as the only viable options because of roster limitations. What phimutau is doing has the potential for a lot of success, especially if he can figure out how to use the advantages from each formation to exploit the inherent weaknesses in every defense.
5/23/2017 11:05 AM
Pete, your record in GD speaks for itself. You obviously know what to do to win.
And your breakdown of the differences between the I and Pro formations may be true in real life. But I'm not so sure in GD. I have used the same defense vs both and it works successfully with either ; even against teams as good or maybe better than my own.
Respectfully, I think you are getting too detailed. I and probably nobody knows what go's on with those little ones and zero's under the hood when the game is being run.
5/23/2017 3:33 PM (edited)
Posted by mojolad on 5/23/2017 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Pete, your record in GD speaks for itself. You obviously know what to do to win.
And your breakdown of the differences between the I and Pro formations may be true in real life. But I'm not so sure in GD. I have used the same defense vs both and it works successfully with either ; even against teams as good or maybe better than my own.
Respectfully, I think you are getting too detailed. I and probably nobody knows what go's on with those little ones and zero's under the hood when the game is being run.
You are absolutely right Mojo, I have absolutely no idea what is really going on under the hood of this game other than the fact that it is just a computer program that takes in certain data, crunches some numbers and then spits out a result! I'm just prone to use my very overactive imagination and was explaining how I visualize the way that it works and what I use to develop my game plans to overcome difficulties. Whether that's the way the game really works or not doesn't matter much to me as long as my game plan worked lol. I know one thing for sure, I need your defense! ;)
5/23/2017 3:47 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/21/2017 5:24:00 PM (view original):
The question I have is, does this engine even distinguish between the two? They both have 2 RB, 2 WR. So does the simulator even care how they are lined up? Or are they just duplicates?
This is just my belief based on the myriad of games I have evaluated. But IMO even if it does differentiate between the 2 formations, it is SO little that it becomes a moot point. Again IMO - as far as GD the game is concerned there Is No difference between the I and Pro. Which is why I would never practice both.
5/23/2017 7:22 PM
I find that the FB is a more effective Blocker in I-form and as a receiver in Pro. Great observations Pete... I do agree with Mojo that the engine probably isn't as detailed as we hope it is.
5/23/2017 7:48 PM
dear pete_61

what does the 2nd CB in the 3-4 do against the Box

can my five guard OL get outside to the kickout block on the sweep

these are the questions your blimp is bugging me with now

5/24/2017 11:03 AM
123 Next ▸
Pro Set vs I Formation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.