Pro Set vs I Formation Topic

Dear Bagchucker,

My CB's and OL's are doing what I coached them to do, I have no idea what your players are doing but if you will send me some game film I will try to break them down for you. ;)

Pete
5/24/2017 1:30 PM
Posted by pete_61 on 5/24/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Dear Bagchucker,

My CB's and OL's are doing what I coached them to do, I have no idea what your players are doing but if you will send me some game film I will try to break them down for you. ;)

Pete
Pete,

It will be difficult for him to send you any game film since he doesn't have any active teams. Just a thought.
5/24/2017 3:34 PM
Posted by iamthetwo__2 on 5/24/2017 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pete_61 on 5/24/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Dear Bagchucker,

Pete
Pete,

It will be difficult for him to send you any game film since he doesn't have any active teams. Just a thought.
Darn, that's too bad!
5/24/2017 5:32 PM
twobuckchuck in hayes is bkdries recruits bagchucker coaches

if i had game film i wouldn't need pete's blimp
5/24/2017 6:12 PM (edited)
Posted by mojolad on 5/23/2017 7:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/21/2017 5:24:00 PM (view original):
The question I have is, does this engine even distinguish between the two? They both have 2 RB, 2 WR. So does the simulator even care how they are lined up? Or are they just duplicates?
This is just my belief based on the myriad of games I have evaluated. But IMO even if it does differentiate between the 2 formations, it is SO little that it becomes a moot point. Again IMO - as far as GD the game is concerned there Is No difference between the I and Pro. Which is why I would never practice both.
I happen to lean pete's way in this area. I agree that if there is any "bonus" or modifier it is minimal. With that said and assuming there is a slight bonus paired to formation with the slight bonus of formation IQ added in what are the potential effects? Looking at pete's dominance and how his teams are built there may be something to his "blimp" view.
5/24/2017 8:36 PM
His "blimp view" is accurate, for real football.

GD isn't real football.

I have no doubt that with the success PP has had, he has a very good idea how GD works.

The first advice I would give any new player to the game? Is to forget everything they know about football, and instead, learn how GD works. You will struggle if you base your decisions and tactics on real football.
5/25/2017 4:42 AM
the interesting part to me is it is derived from play by play

chunking the game into a series of discrete temporal elements

a line gets the first step, success follows or doesn't follow

is the play by play meaningful? in the baseball sim someone gets a hit and the sim picks randomly (i believe) from a handful of descriptors to add color to the play by play. just garnish on the plate

i wish the football sim had a hundred descriptors to describe the same run. it would make reverse engineering the sim way harder for you toolies

pete's blimp couldn't get stop action footage if the play by play wasn't such a dull machine
5/25/2017 9:43 AM
If I ever look at PBP it is usually to see if I am at a depth advantage or disadvantage, otherwise, I don't bother. I do use Yatzr's game analyzer which utilizes the same information and puts it into a more useful format though so I guess that counts.

I think that most of you read too much into my post and everyone who really knows me knows that I have stressed over and over that you should not treat this game like real life football but as a game of chance as in rolling die on a game board or playing cards out of a deck. My point was that the game engine is crunching numbers and I believe that time and distance are factors. Perhaps this is totally wrong, I really have no idea, but it works for me in my game planning to think of it that way, you are all free to use what works for you. I guess I'll just take my blimps and go to the house
5/25/2017 2:01 PM
There is no quantifiable difference between I and Pro. They are virtually the same sets. However, in 1.0, the I-Form was better with inside running but only slightly and that was because the FB was automatically set to block inside. Now-a-days with the freedom and ability to choose who blocks where. The sets are the same now.
5/25/2017 2:19 PM

There are differences in the two offenses

I believe this statement is accurate.

There is no quantifiable difference between I and Pro.

I believe this statement is not accurate.

Listen, it is all about which players are in the computer sim for a particular play. Formation plays a pretty big role in that determination. In fact, it is one of the major factors in that determination IMO.

nitros

5/25/2017 3:49 PM
would you say, then, that it is stupid to run one formation all the time

yall want to be mentors if someone comes to you with hat in hand

say by sitemail, email, or knocks on your actual real life door like a neighbor asking about your garden how your grass got so green wow lookit them huge zucchinis (i mean just say your neighbor's a girl)

but you don't want to say squat in public where everyone can steal your sh*t

i would say overall this is a very good college football head coach simulation

but a poor football simulation
5/25/2017 7:13 PM (edited)
I run one formation but I think the more interesting approach is running multiple formations. FIQ is so important, I decided to focus on only one formation. It has worked pretty well so far.

As for the other comment, there is tons of information out there in the public forums about game planning and strategy. In this thread, pete let's you know exactly the process you should follow as you develop your talents in match-ups and formation usage. You can go review my threads in Wilkinson for how I game planned for 2 NC runs.

No coach that I know of is looking for someone to lick their boots to help them. I tend to help anyone that sitemails me and shows at least a small interest in learning. I will say that I do not help people that just want me to screen-shot my gameplans and formations. Beyond that, I am always pretty open with my approach to the game.

The reason I try to be helpful is because of the great coaches that have answered questions for me and helped me (awags, lyonz, pete, blitz...and so forth and so on).

nitros
5/25/2017 11:28 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 5/25/2017 7:13:00 PM (view original):
would you say, then, that it is stupid to run one formation all the time

yall want to be mentors if someone comes to you with hat in hand

say by sitemail, email, or knocks on your actual real life door like a neighbor asking about your garden how your grass got so green wow lookit them huge zucchinis (i mean just say your neighbor's a girl)

but you don't want to say squat in public where everyone can steal your sh*t

i would say overall this is a very good college football head coach simulation

but a poor football simulation
my neighbor's lawn was pretty impressive. i always wondered why it was so good on his side of exactly the property line. if it was simply fertilizer or something you would think it would bleed over to my side a bit. but, no. super awesome, thick luscious green grass on one side. and my thin, too-much-sun-having-kids-running-all-over-it grass on my side.

such is life. if i had asked him, he would have told me what he did differently. but he didn't take the time to post it on a sign for all to see, either.

i think one formation is the most efficient use of limited practice minutes to get the most player growth while also getting max formation iq. but i also think this is not the only correct answer. i have teams that practice more than one. you can win with 'wrong' strategies if you experiment and learn aspects of gmae that others are missing.
5/25/2017 11:53 PM
There is a difference between each formation and I can say with hesitation that it is this: 1001111010101001011010101001100101011010010101. I apologize to WIS if they didn't want that info released.
5/26/2017 7:41 AM
Posted by awags on 5/26/2017 7:41:00 AM (view original):
There is a difference between each formation and I can say with hesitation that it is this: 1001111010101001011010101001100101011010010101. I apologize to WIS if they didn't want that info released.
Thanks Awags, I knew it all along!
5/26/2017 8:51 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Pro Set vs I Formation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.