New Team/New Player Topic

This is my first season playing HBD and was wondering if y'all could point out the glaring holes in my team.
5/21/2017 10:45 PM
Not a terrible team to start off with. Otis Springer is a good shortstop and you have some good bats on the team. At quick glance, you need a 2nd baseman and centre fielder on defence. Both need 80+ for range and glove. Also, your pitching is going to be rough. Good pitchers have 70+ vs right handed batters. Great pitchers have 80+ vs right handed batters. The highest I saw from your guys was 69.

This is just a quick overview as I'm heading to bed but lots of the guys will help you out.

Welcome to HBD. Hope you enjoy it.
5/21/2017 11:26 PM
Lennon and Chapman are the only SP's who I would even consider keeping and they would be fighting it out for SP5 and MOP at best. If you are going with low control... make sure vR is healthy at 70+ and p1 should be 85+ If p1 is lower than 85, then there should be another pitch 80+ All in all - I would not resign any of those SPs at all - beyond getting thru your first season. You can typically find aging SPs on the decline at 36-38 yrs old that are MUCH better..

Your CF has crappy range. You want range and glove of 85+ in CF to help your pitchers. I'd convert your CF, spiers, into a 2b. Your SS, springer, could use better glove. You want 85+ .. again to help your pitchers. But his other fielding attributes are ok, so you could get by as i see many veteran owners do.

as for set up pitchers, mccorley and mcknight are young and still developing. Do NOT trade them as people will try to take them from you. They are good enough to play now and will only get better in next few seasons.

all in all - you have major problems with your SP's. Look for some value with older FA - SPs that you can get for between 4mil- 6mil for a season or two. , look for a young pitcher in rule 5 draft - and also look for what's left at the end of FA signings.. usually can still get better than what you have now. I do not recommend getting into bidding wars during FA in your first season. If you use your budget wisely, you can fill many holes on your team rather than getting a big fat Type A contract that may or may not help you.
5/21/2017 11:34 PM
First, when someone says "You have to have....", don't take it literally. There are many ways to win at this game and I never have 80 glove and range at 2B and CF. Never. I'll run 85/65 in CF(the higher the range, the lower I'll go with glove) pretty regularly if he can hit, and 75/70 at 2B also if he can hit. I do OK at HBD.

Second, everything SS said about your pitching is true. They are all below BL-average. Unless you have an offense that will regularly score 8+ a game(you don't), you have no shot at the playoffs. I don't mind low control, or stamina, but I generally avoid pitchers with sub 70 VR. I also like pitchers with 80+ P1, 70+ P2. McCorley and Lennon are the only two I'd keep.

Finally, your hitting is OK. No stud but, if you can get decent fielding by placing them in their proper spots, you might be around league average. But I'm not sure any can play an upgrade at a defensive position. For instance, Speiers is an adequate 2B. And he'll hit like a 2B. He'd be really good in LF/RF if you decided to upgrade D at 2B. But he'd still hit like a 2B not a COF.

All in all, pitching first. Then worry about D and hitting.
5/22/2017 8:44 AM
Agree with above. Couple comments:

First, I think I'd keep Koehlert, too; he's only a little below average ML, whereas the other pitchers (except the 2 we've agreed upon) are replacement value or worse. But you'll need a ton of pitching.

However, you have credible solutions at all positions in your organization. No stars, and you have a couple of ML guys (Duda and Townsend) who just can't play. But you can make a workable lineup, especially if you dip down to AAA to find a CF (or CF platoon).

Basically, focus all player acquisition efforts on pitching.
5/22/2017 11:23 AM
New Team/New Player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.