I only play in Knight & Phelan because I need a 2 a day world. It took me 5 seasons to get qualified for a D1 job, finally took one after year 6. I never got the feeling that it "took too long" but i definitely don't know if I could have waited that long in a 1 a day world.
5/22/2017 6:54 PM
How long does it take to jump from D3 to DI? I have zero interest in moving to a D2 school. Even in RL, I've always heard go D1 or D3 lbs.
5/22/2017 7:09 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 5/22/2017 12:55:00 PM (view original):
from a marketability standpoint, i think there are a lot of college basketball fans out there who are only interested in playing D1 and don't re-up after their FREEHD seasons when they realize they are stuck in D2/D3 for awhile.
My marketing idea, a FREEHD season applies to D3 schools only and new coaches have to pay full price to start DI ?
5/22/2017 7:25 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 5/22/2017 7:09:00 PM (view original):
How long does it take to jump from D3 to DI? I have zero interest in moving to a D2 school. Even in RL, I've always heard go D1 or D3 lbs.
The fastest I've seen it done is 4 seasons, but that was R32, E8, FF, FF, so you need a good deal of success to make the jump that quickly.
5/22/2017 8:47 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 5/22/2017 8:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zagsrulez on 5/22/2017 7:09:00 PM (view original):
The fastest I've seen it done is 4 seasons, but that was R32, E8, FF, FF, so you need a good deal of success to make the jump that quickly.
Yeah. If you want to skip DII you better kick some *** in DIII.
5/22/2017 10:03 PM
Forcing coaches to play in D3 and D2 is super user-unfriendly.
5/23/2017 9:41 AM
Posted by jcfreder on 5/23/2017 9:41:00 AM (view original):
Agreed. I think a forced D2/D3 start should only be for first 15 seasons of a New World. After that you should be able to jump to a low D1 school. I would not start this game today if I had to start in DIII unless it was a New World
5/24/2017 9:07 AM
Posted by weirdrash on 5/24/2017 9:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jcfreder on 5/23/2017 9:41:00 AM (view original):
Agreed. I think a forced D2/D3 start should only be for first 15 seasons of a New World. After that you should be able to jump to a low D1 school. I would not start this game today if I had to start in DIII unless it was a New World
I don't mind the new players in general having to do 1 season in D3. I think that's fair and then at least 1 season in D2, then opening it up to low D1 (D+ Prestige or lower). If you are successful at D2 you could jump to C+ maybe B- However we cant make it too easy for coaches to move up within D1. I believe a coach that took a D or D+ team into a C+ B- team should have a chance at B+ A- schools. If a coach takes a team to B+ they should be capable of taking an A or low A+ school. this scale just continues with A- D1 can take over a high A+ school. This doesn't make it hard to qualify and move up.
5/24/2017 1:05 PM
Truth is, it's 3 different games. I'm not sure learning at D3 or D2 matters much. But, when the game started, you wanted people to "work" their way to their "dream job". So you had to compete with others to get there. I'm not sure that's a "thing" anymore. It's outdated. Just letting people apply to D1 and let the process work itself out might be the best way to go. That said, doing that might kill D2/D3.

Using Rupp as the example, 90+ in D1. 30ish coming. 130 in D1 will have an effect on D2/D3 recruiting. Say half of the 160ish in D2/D3 decide to take D1 teams the following season because the D2/D3 landscape drastically changed. 40 at a level is ghost town.
5/24/2017 1:24 PM
I don't remember where I saw it but I also liked that idea that if you are D1 in one world you can go D1 in another world right away. I would pickup another world and consistently play in it if that was the case. I've tried to manage a D2 team and care while I have my other D1 team going but I just don't care enough to put in the effort to get to D1 in the other world.
5/24/2017 1:29 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 5/24/2017 1:29:00 PM (view original):
I don't remember where I saw it but I also liked that idea that if you are D1 in one world you can go D1 in another world right away. I would pickup another world and consistently play in it if that was the case. I've tried to manage a D2 team and care while I have my other D1 team going but I just don't care enough to put in the effort to get to D1 in the other world.
Oh hey that was my idea.
5/24/2017 2:56 PM
i agree with mike that's kind of 3 different games (or at least 2 between D1 and D2/D3).

personally i care less about what's "fair" based on our own experiences and our preconceived notions and i care more about what i think would be good for the longevity and playability of the game.
5/24/2017 3:09 PM
Yep. The "PAY YOUR DUES!!!!" people have been stabbing their little benis voodoo dolls since you first mentioned it.
5/24/2017 3:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/24/2017 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Truth is, it's 3 different games. I'm not sure learning at D3 or D2 matters much. But, when the game started, you wanted people to "work" their way to their "dream job". So you had to compete with others to get there. I'm not sure that's a "thing" anymore. It's outdated. Just letting people apply to D1 and let the process work itself out might be the best way to go. That said, doing that might kill D2/D3.

Using Rupp as the example, 90+ in D1. 30ish coming. 130 in D1 will have an effect on D2/D3 recruiting. Say half of the 160ish in D2/D3 decide to take D1 teams the following season because the D2/D3 landscape drastically changed. 40 at a level is ghost town.
I would think that D2 would get hit the hardest. Most move to D2 in order to reach D1; but a lot of guys can qualify for D1 and choose to stay at D3.

In both worlds that I am in; D2 has less than D3. In Knight it only has 73, which is already like a ghost town given the amount of NT and PI bids.
5/24/2017 3:14 PM (edited)
Posted by bathtubhippo on 5/24/2017 3:09:00 PM (view original):
i agree with mike that's kind of 3 different games (or at least 2 between D1 and D2/D3).

personally i care less about what's "fair" based on our own experiences and our preconceived notions and i care more about what i think would be good for the longevity and playability of the game.
One of the problems, IMO, is getting people to stick. You join dreaming of coaching Duke(ignoring the fact that I doubt there's an open Duke). You know you have to work your way up. You play a season of D3 and you're eligible for D2. You take your D2 thinking you're D1-el the next season. You're not. So you give it another season. You're not. And another, still not, etc, etc. If you're not sucked in by the end of season 2, even though you now realize the coach at Duke has been there 37 seasons, you quit.

If you're in D1 when you realize Duke's coach has been there 37 seasons, at least you're competing against Duke(theoretically).
5/24/2017 3:19 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.