I am nearing the end of my first season and I am trying to rebuild. I was offered Cameron Belinda for AAA Larry Stanley. I need pitching, but I also need good D. Stanley has good defensive ratings, but is mediocre in the splits, yet is still hitting .285. Belinda is also 7m. I'm inclined to keep Stanley. Also, on the trade preview page, in the bottom right corner of each player profile there is a dollar amount. Also, I keep seeing MILB what is this?
5/22/2017 11:14 PM (edited)
Belinda was $7M this season but what are you willing to pay him next season (and for how many seasons) to keep him from free agency? You may be able to get him without dealing a prospect if the current owner decides not to offer him another multi-year deal.
5/23/2017 12:27 AM
That trade would likely be vetoed, and for good reason.
General Questions
1) MILB = minor league baseball, so the MILB is his combined stat line for the minors that season.
2) The number in the bottom right is how much money is yet to be paid to the player that season (the pro-rated portion of his salary).

This Trade
3) (Almost) never evaluate a player based on minor league statistics. Too many owners don't maintain minors and even when they do, talent levels often don't translate to MLB production.
4) Stanley does not have good defensive ratings. 77-69-80-65 means he's only good defensively as a corner OF/1B.
5) If Stanley had good speed to go with his 82+ baserunning, maybe I make a case for him to be a ML regular 4th OF until he hits arbitration. As is, he a slow (22), slap hitting (18 power) corner OF who is likely not more than a rule 5 pick on a good team.
6) Belinda is likely to be at least Type B (maybe Type A) if you let him walk, and you'd be better off either way using the picks to draft someone who fits what you are trying to build.

In General
7) You do need D. Badly. Go to GM>Roster Management > Edit Roster. Click the hyperlinked position next to any player's name. This will bring up a page of the "Big League Averages" that most successful owners use a minimum guidelines for adequate defense (some allowances can be made for a huge bat in some circumstances). Right now, I'm not sure you have anyone on your ML squad hitting those guidelines. Get a real good defensive SS (even if he can't hit great), move Green to 3B where he can win a GG, Put cain at 2B where he's a good defender, and on down the line.
5/23/2017 1:27 PM (edited)
OK, this is all good for KC, what do you recommend for Chi. Just learned about the GM settings and am evaluating my players along those lines. I moved Enrique Mijajres from RF to SS. I promoted AAA Keith Webster to ML. I have a couple of so-so 2B that need to be replaced. My 3B has good numbers on D, but weak in the splits. With Keith Webster at !B I think I have a bit better defensive infield. Still need to work on hitting, LF and CF and I need at least one decent SP. Of course, the bull pen needs work too. That is why I am considering Belinda, even with the price tag, but his age. He might be worth it for one season. Thoughts?
5/23/2017 1:56 PM
If I was in your position I would make that trade. If you can resign or get a type A pick, bonus.

alsp the owner of Helena should be shot for their horrible misuse of Belinda a few seasons ago.
5/23/2017 6:50 PM (edited)
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/23/2017 6:50:00 PM (view original):
If I was in your position I would make that trade. If you can resign or get a type A pick, bonus.

alsp the owner of Helena should be shot for their horrible misuse of Belinda a few seasons ago.
Probably that low dur/stamina let's make him a closer deal would be my guess concerning the very low innings pitched.

I look at this deal as exchanging a probable ML corner OF sub for a rent-a-pitcher. If it works out for you, you'll get first crack at signing him. If not let him walk and try again.
5/23/2017 9:16 PM
I am in your league and I vetoed. Not balanced IMO.
5/24/2017 2:33 AM
Zero chance I'd veto that deal.

First, Stanley could play 2B in the future. I don't know that his bat would qualify as a good enough for my low standard of 75/70 range/glove for hitting 2B but his A/S is going to help. His CON/SPD will get him his fair share of infield hits. He might make it to 3B-quality in the field. He's a low level BL-player right now in his 3rd year.
Second, Belinda has 1661 BL innings. He is BELOW BL-average WHIP/ERA(1.30/4.10 in most worlds) for his career. He's 34 and grossly overpaid. That said, he's also BL-quality as every BL player can't be BL-average.

Depending my situation, I could make a case that I'd prefer either player over the other. That's the definition of a fair trade.
5/24/2017 7:03 AM
I'm with Mike on this. There is no good reason to Veto this trade. Even if you don't like it, its not lopsided or could be considered ridiculously unfair. To often people veto trades because its not a deal they would make. Thats not right.
5/24/2017 8:28 AM
I'll add that Belinda has put up below league-average numbers in a heavy pitcher's park. Type A or Type B, I can't imagine anyone signs him for more than 1.5m.
5/24/2017 8:46 AM
I'm with Mike as well. It's not like either player has to put a trophy room in his fictional house, but both may fit each team's needs and/or strategy. If it's a straight 1 for 1 deal, I don't see a problem.
5/24/2017 9:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/24/2017 7:03:00 AM (view original):
Zero chance I'd veto that deal.

First, Stanley could play 2B in the future. I don't know that his bat would qualify as a good enough for my low standard of 75/70 range/glove for hitting 2B but his A/S is going to help. His CON/SPD will get him his fair share of infield hits. He might make it to 3B-quality in the field. He's a low level BL-player right now in his 3rd year.
Second, Belinda has 1661 BL innings. He is BELOW BL-average WHIP/ERA(1.30/4.10 in most worlds) for his career. He's 34 and grossly overpaid. That said, he's also BL-quality as every BL player can't be BL-average.

Depending my situation, I could make a case that I'd prefer either player over the other. That's the definition of a fair trade.
He has 22 speed.
5/24/2017 9:40 AM
That was just a bonus throw in. Not sure WTF I was looking at. Not a veto-worthy deal.
5/24/2017 10:09 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.