I want to be able to export player ratings and stats to do some calculations in excel. Anybody have any hints on how to do it? So far, I have just been copy/pasting from the view rosters page for my own team, but that doesn't include all the ratings (Patience, Temper, makeup, bunt, Push/Pull are all missing). I'd also like to find a way to export all the scouting ratings for other teams in the league as well, without going into player pages
5/23/2017 9:30 AM
There's a guy in gridiron dynasty that wrote a program that would pull a bunch of info from scouting player pools with the push of a button. Wish someone from HBD could do the same with the various tables. But no such luck as far as I know, at least not publicly.
5/23/2017 3:55 PM
I've started experimenting with something similar. Right now I can pull all the position players for my franchise, but building it so I can expand to pitchers and other players in my world (or other worlds) later on. So far I scrape all the current Ratings for each player, their age, and salary from their player page since this seems most relevant. Everything gets exported and updated to GoogleSheets, so it will be easy to share across worlds - you just cut and paste your own players in and it will pull the correct data - and you can also manipulate and sort data.

The long term goal is to be able to assign weights (for each position) to each individual rating and then it would calculate out a player's value at a given spot. I'll also want to be able to factor in age, ability to grow/progress, and value at a given salary level.

I am still new to HBD, so I don't know how often ratings needs to be updating data (which takes a long time - about 30min or more) or how to weigh different factors and loads of other questions about how the game itself works. So if any experienced players out there are interested in getting exported data and are willing to help answer questions about HBD, maybe I can share what I have so far and we can team up on this project?
5/24/2017 10:17 AM
Posted by brianplath on 5/23/2017 3:55:00 PM (view original):
There's a guy in gridiron dynasty that wrote a program that would pull a bunch of info from scouting player pools with the push of a button. Wish someone from HBD could do the same with the various tables. But no such luck as far as I know, at least not publicly.
Yatzr, he did one for Hoops too, before the major overhaul, and it was as outstanding or perhaps more than his gridiron tool, and he only played hoops to get a feel for how his tool would need to be programmed.

if he did that for hardball, I'd make a sizable donation to his efforts!
5/24/2017 12:40 PM
I normally copy/paste all of the draft classes to excel and save them its a pretty quick process. If I'm evaluating current players I do the same from the player search screen.
5/24/2017 4:11 PM
So would I deer.

I'd really like to be able to grab all player stats for a given season with the push of a button to make calculating WAR waaaaaaay less tedious. 6 tables*32 teams = way too much copy paste.
5/24/2017 10:47 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Agreed. Who cares what WAR is for fake baseball players? I really don't even care how they perform as long as their performance leads to a championship. And maximizing their performance is more of an analysis between their ratings and their core stats.
5/26/2017 2:07 PM
Maybe Brian wants to calculate WAR for evaluating players? Or maybe its just a fun exercise in data calculation for him? Everyone can enjoy HBD in their own way. It seems a little silly for somebody who has spent the past 15 years playing nearly 50,000 simulation baseball games with fake players to tell somebody else playing the same game differently to "stop wasting time". We can be constructive and critical, but lets try to have a good time with it.
5/30/2017 10:11 AM
Posted by Parker36 on 5/30/2017 10:11:00 AM (view original):
Maybe Brian wants to calculate WAR for evaluating players? Or maybe its just a fun exercise in data calculation for him? Everyone can enjoy HBD in their own way. It seems a little silly for somebody who has spent the past 15 years playing nearly 50,000 simulation baseball games with fake players to tell somebody else playing the same game differently to "stop wasting time". We can be constructive and critical, but lets try to have a good time with it.
My comment wasn't in regards to HBD. It was in regards to WAR in general. It's a flawed and pointless metric.
5/30/2017 2:11 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 5/30/2017 2:11:00 PM (view original):
My comment wasn't in regards to HBD. It was in regards to WAR in general. It's a flawed and pointless metric.
Agreed. And if it's useless for real players just imagine how ******* useless it is for fake players.
5/30/2017 9:53 PM
But that's it just a general comment Brian. If it's something that you want to do then you can certainly do it in SQL.
5/30/2017 9:55 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 5/30/2017 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 5/30/2017 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. And if it's useless for real players just imagine how ******* useless it is for fake players.
Actually, whatever else you think of WAR, one of the things that limits its usefulness is an inability to understand situational performance. There's no situational performance programmed into HBD. So, if you give a flip about fake players (and you must, you're here), WAR is considerably less useless for fake players than real ones.
5/30/2017 10:15 PM
It is absolutely laughable to say that WAR is "flawed and pointless".

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/war/

"WAR is not meant to be a perfectly precise indicator of a player’s contribution, but rather an estimate of their value to date. Given the imperfections of some of the available data and the assumptions made to calculate other components, WAR works best as an approximation."
5/31/2017 3:18 PM
I've always thought of WAR as a data point that means to assign numerical value to "the eye test." You know a player is valuable to the team because of the sum of his on-field contributions, but he may not show out in counting or rate stats. It's like Quarterback Rating, you can make up any system you want and the end values are only meaningful when you compare them to each other.

5/31/2017 4:08 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.