What the world thinks about Trump Topic

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-skips-climate-church-1496431295
6/4/2017 10:45 AM
Posted by all3 on 6/4/2017 9:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bigalric on 6/4/2017 2:43:00 AM (view original):
Respect is not an 'one-sided thing'. Eveyone of us also has to earn the respect of others, and someone acting like Trump cannot be respected like a POTUS should be. Ask yourself, how would you respect someone who is egotistical, disdains women, is a perennial liar?
Not surprisingly, you're wrong again. Whoever is POTUS deserves Americans' respect, as long as they are POTUS. Respectfully disagree with them, try to PROOVE any SUPPOSED wrong-doing, vote them out, do whatever, but don't publicly bash and berate with accusations and make a joke of the position. Again (since it's still unanswered), if Americans don't respect the office of POTUS (even if not the person), why would the rest of the World be expected to? Whoever is in the position is the duly elected Leader and representative of this Country - do we want other Countries sheitting on them? Then why do we do it so freely and expect different from them? Typical "do as I say, not as I do" behavior Libs have learned to love. (Right Hillary?)
Not surprisingly, you did not answer his question: Would you you respect someone who is egotistical, disdains women, is a perennial liar?
6/4/2017 11:10 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Yes, that was uncalled for. Is disrespectful. Even if you disagree completely.
6/4/2017 3:07 PM
Disrespect is disrespect. Are you 5, or what - something like it happened to Obama, so it's OK to do to Trump? Wrong again, and YES, regardless of my personal opinion of whoever is POTUS, they deserve my respect because of the office they hold. I'm respecting that office, because I expect the rest of the World to.
6/4/2017 8:37 PM
I respect the office of the POTUS. I have no or very little respect for Donald Trump. He is a lying, self-serving on man.
6/5/2017 12:22 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
as a wise man once said...those who give respect will receive respect.........donold..you have the respect of putin for being the clown that can make him laugh like nobody else can.
6/5/2017 12:35 AM
As this thread is entitled “What the world thinks about Trump Topic” and as the issue of “respect” has been raised regarding President Trump, I thought this would be relevant.
As you will know the UK has suffered a number of terrorist attacks over the past few months, specifically 2 in London and 1 in Manchester, leaving many dead and many more injured and maimed. I know both cities well and have family in and from both.
(FYI as a representative citizen of the "world", I’m Canadian born from British parents, brought up in Britain and have dual-citizenship. However I have friends and family in the US and have worked for and with a number of US companies including the Armed Forces of both the UK & the US)
On Saturday night, as the attack in London unfolded, the Mayor of London issued the following statement: “Metropolitan police are responding to the horrific terrorist attack at London Bridge and Borough Market.”
“My thoughts are with everyone affected, and I’d like to thank the brave men and women of our emergency services who were first on the scene and will be working throughout the night.
“This was a deliberate and cowardly attack on innocent Londoners and visitors to our city enjoying their Saturday night,” he said. “I condemn it in the strongest possible terms. There is no justification whatsoever for such barbaric acts.”
In a television interview the next morning he said:
“There can be no justification for the acts of these terrorists and I am quite clear that we will never let them win.”
“My message to Londoners and visitors to our great city is to be calm and vigilant today. You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers. There is no reason to be alarmed by this. We are the safest global city in the world. You saw last night as a consequence of our planning, our preparation, the rehearsals that take place, the swift response from the emergency services tackling the terrorists and also helping the injured.”

In response (and only hours after innocent people were butchered on London streets) President Trump tweeted the following:
“At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’”

President Trump’s words are not simply a case of taking the Mayor’s words out of context. What he did is wrong, on every level.
His actions, particularly at this time, are not only outrageous, disgusting and appalling but massively, massively disrespectful, to those keeping us safe and particularly to those who lost their lives.

If you want to hear and see the relevant words for yourself here is a link:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-backed-by-political-rivals-in-row-with-donald-trump-over-london-bridge-attack-a3556631.html
The clip is courtesy of the Evening Standard, a London based newspaper founded in 1827 and currently edited by George Osborne, a former Conservative MP and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

6/5/2017 7:07 AM (edited)
Uh, those were the Mayor's exact words. I'm aware of what he was implying but it was stupid to say. People died and there's virtually no way to stop it from occurring again. So, yeah, there is reason to be alarmed. Now there was no reason for Trump to jump on those words, it was just political positioning, but let's not pretend what was said wasn't said. Trump gives us plenty of reason to pounce on him. This wasn't really one of those times.
6/5/2017 8:52 AM
The Brits know how to handle an "alarmist blowhard" like Trump.

Trump's focus on those words was like those movie poster reviews that quote a critic saying "Genius! Incredible! Amazing!" when the full context of the blurbs might read something like this:

"You don't have to be a genius to realize this movie should never have been made. It's frankly incredible how bad a director Joe Smith is, and amazing that he was able to get any real actors to sign on for this disaster."

But of course Mike here will tell you, "But the reviewer really used those exact words!"
6/5/2017 11:38 AM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/5/2017 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Uh, those were the Mayor's exact words. I'm aware of what he was implying but it was stupid to say. People died and there's virtually no way to stop it from occurring again. So, yeah, there is reason to be alarmed. Now there was no reason for Trump to jump on those words, it was just political positioning, but let's not pretend what was said wasn't said. Trump gives us plenty of reason to pounce on him. This wasn't really one of those times.
Uh, read the quotes again.

Sadiq Khan was saying that there was no need for the people of London to be alarmed by the increased number of armed police on the streets following the attack.

Trump completely misrepresented what he was saying by taking part of a quote out of context and making it look like he the Mayor was saying that the attack was nothing to be alarmed about.

Unforgivable.

6/5/2017 12:30 PM
Posted by pubmonkey on 6/5/2017 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/5/2017 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Uh, read the quotes again.

Sadiq Khan was saying that there was no need for the people of London to be alarmed by the increased number of armed police on the streets following the attack.

Trump completely misrepresented what he was saying by taking part of a quote out of context and making it look like he the Mayor was saying that the attack was nothing to be alarmed about.

Unforgivable.

"Unforgivable"?!? Really?

Why not save your outrage for, i dunno.... the TERRORISTS?!?!
6/5/2017 12:42 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 6/5/2017 11:38:00 AM (view original):
The Brits know how to handle an "alarmist blowhard" like Trump.

Trump's focus on those words was like those movie poster reviews that quote a critic saying "Genius! Incredible! Amazing!" when the full context of the blurbs might read something like this:

"You don't have to be a genius to realize this movie should never have been made. It's frankly incredible how bad a director Joe Smith is, and amazing that he was able to get any real actors to sign on for this disaster."

But of course Mike here will tell you, "But the reviewer really used those exact words!"
Uh, Trump didn't pick 8 words randomly from his speech. They were put together just as he repeated.

If you want to argue, do it honestly. Made up bullshit is easy to refute.
6/5/2017 12:48 PM
“My message to Londoners and visitors to our great city is to be calm and vigilant today.

You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers. There is no reason to be alarmed by this.

We are the safest global city in the world. You saw last night as a consequence of our planning, our preparation, the rehearsals that take place, the swift response from the emergency services tackling the terrorists and also helping the injured.”

I'm not sure either could be worded more poorly. But, then again, maybe that's how Brits talk.
6/5/2017 12:51 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
What the world thinks about Trump Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.