Position changes and impact on performance Topic

Apologies if this has been addressed already. In real life players who change positions need some training and time to adjust typically. Let's say Houston moves Correa to CF. He may have the ability to play there but chances are without practice he'd miss play some balls, etc initially. I suspect however in fantasy changing positions doesn't have a delayed impact on a players abilities correct? So if you decide to call up the young stud SS and move your veteran SS to CF for example, that move shouldn't cause the veteran to have a lessening of his defensive ratings. If he has 80-85s across the board he should be a stud CF from day 1, right? So has anyone seen anything that would suggest changing positions has any temporary negative impact to player defensive ratings?
5/31/2017 4:41 PM
It does not. No training required.
5/31/2017 5:34 PM
Slightly Off Topic: Do you want your better defender in CF or SS? On the roster management the big league averages show a higher Range for CF and the same glove. By this logic you put your better defender in CF right? But wouldn't you want the better glove at SS because they get a lot more opportunities?
5/31/2017 5:55 PM
When you say "better defender", I'm assuming the SS candidate has 85 AA/AS. Otherwise, he's better suited in CF.
5/31/2017 7:06 PM
Honestly, on my my teams, if I have 2 legit SS (above "average" across the board), 1 goes SS and the other likely goes to 2B or 3B depending on other players available. CF is usually pretty easy to find a high range/glove guy without the arm, and I feel the arm has much more value in the infield.
5/31/2017 7:37 PM
Yea basically I was saying if I have two SS do I put the one with higher range or higher glove at short?
5/31/2017 10:17 PM
Posted by kartchy on 5/31/2017 10:17:00 PM (view original):
Yea basically I was saying if I have two SS do I put the one with higher range or higher glove at short?
Are the AS/AA identical and they both throw RH?
6/1/2017 2:51 AM
Posted by zbrent716 on 6/1/2017 2:51:00 AM (view original):
Are the AS/AA identical and they both throw RH?
OK, assuming you are talking about Julio Fernandez (90-80-86-90) and Kelvim White (78-83-83-88), I don't think I'd use them as SS/CF. Julio can play either, but White can't play either well. White make a good 3B though.

Absolutely forced to play one at SS and one at CF, I'd play Fernandez at SS. His sub-par glove should be balanced just fine by his above average range and arm. White will be a sub-par CF, but that's a less important defensive position IMO (and bring in Mendoza as a D rep at the earliest opportunity).
6/1/2017 2:58 AM
Agreed with zbrent716. I try to draft one pure SS (projected to 85+ in all four categories) in every draft. The ones who eventually fall short in Glove move to CF. The ones who fall short in Range move to 3B or 2B.

6/1/2017 6:46 AM
Glove at SS, range in CF. But, if it's the two guys listed, you don't have a SS as zbrent says.
6/1/2017 6:52 AM
AS and AA do nothing in CF correct? So if you have two very similar defensive ratings guys, range goes to CF, AS/AA goes to SS/2B/3B?

my thinking for my team is

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7273413

stays in CF.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7921733

and

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6703798

fight over 2B and 3B.
6/1/2017 8:48 AM (edited)
Well in a perfect world I would have a SS with 100 across the board that can hit but that's not the reality. So those are the two options. And to be fair I signed White to a 5 year deal before he got hurt and his range went from 83 to 78.
6/1/2017 9:38 AM
Fernandez at SS, White in CF.

But, yeah, I agree. Sometimes you work with what you got. I've got a sub-par SS on my MG team who is platooned.
6/1/2017 9:42 AM
Position changes and impact on performance Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.