How smart is the manager? Topic

Currently carrying 3 "catchers". If I were to demote one (or trade one, or whatever), and play the remaining backup in RF...How would the manager handle it if my primary catcher gets hurt? Will the manager switch my RF to catcher and then bring in a replacement RF. OR would he do something stupid, like bring in a backup IF to catch the remainder of the game?
6/1/2017 8:36 PM
It's up to you to do your settings properly but, no matter what you do, you're likely getting a good arm off the bench at C.
6/1/2017 10:04 PM
I'm not sure but I believe it would actually be the latter, because injury is neither a defensive-replacement nor player-rest scenario. But I believe there could be / would be a shift in the later innings once your DR or PR scenarios kick in?

dont play C/DH in RF in the first place, it's not best.
6/2/2017 3:24 PM (edited)
This is a plus/minus game. Are you implying that a failed defensive C in RF with an OPS of .950 is worse than a "normal" RF with a .710 OPS? Because, if you are, you're wrong.
6/2/2017 3:55 PM
The problem with the "C/DH in RF" thing is that you give up 20-25 runs on defense per season by doing it. Which means that you need a truly excellent bat to make it worthwhile, typically at least about an .850 OPS and more typically .900.

FWIW I think Mike (who may be the strongest proponent of this strategy on the forums) has been pretty clear about how good a bat you need to make it work.
6/2/2017 4:11 PM
Yeah, this is the guy I invented it for.
10 season run:
9949 innings in RF. 60 errors, 159 negative plays.
4958 AB, 1494 H, 193 2B, 10 3B, 280 HR, 790 BB, 787 K.

I traded him 39 games into his 11th season because I no longer deemed him worthy of RF on my NL team. And, yeah, absolutes like "it's not best" annoy the hell out of me.
Player Profile: Kevin Ryu - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
6/2/2017 4:20 PM
During that ten season run, his two low OPS were .894/895. All others were over .905 with a peak of .947. His final two were .837 and .873 in his partial, then traded, season. It was "best" for 9 seasons and then the decline started.
6/2/2017 4:22 PM
My C in RF in Riley World has 12 minus plays and 2 errors in 90 games. All the other RFs with minus plays over 5 are "natural" 1B. My guy's OPS is .929.

FWIW this exists in real life, one name for it is Schwarber.

As for a backup IF at C, try it sometime. The game will let you get away with it in the very short term, just like if your backup C has to play SS. Your pitchers won't immediately, like, give up ten HRs.

6/2/2017 4:28 PM (edited)
The player I was referring to isn't your typical failed C/DH. He was a DiTR player who actually got "decent" bumps in defensive ability. He'll be below average in RF...but he won't be a normal catcher out there either.
Player Profile: Tuck Archer - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
6/2/2017 6:52 PM
He can play a weak RF. Or a bad LF. He doesn't fall into the "catcher" category but he can also be a bad C.
6/2/2017 6:58 PM
I think he's got the bat to play any of them. Part-time.
6/2/2017 6:59 PM
Posted by damag on 6/2/2017 4:28:00 PM (view original):
My C in RF in Riley World has 12 minus plays and 2 errors in 90 games. All the other RFs with minus plays over 5 are "natural" 1B. My guy's OPS is .929.

As for a backup IF at C, try it sometime. The game will let you get away with it in the very short term, just like if your backup C has to play SS. Your pitchers won't immediately, like, give up ten HRs.

The Jays also put their C at third base a few days ago. No way I am doing that.
6/2/2017 11:17 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 6/2/2017 11:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by damag on 6/2/2017 4:28:00 PM (view original):

The Jays also put their C at third base a few days ago. No way I am doing that.
Pablo Sandoval did the C to 3b thing, a few guys have. The stupid thing about HBD is that range is absolute. The game considers a 10 range at C as also a 10 range in RF, as if the guy is still wearing all of his catcher gear. Very illogical, but from a coding perspective I wouldn't be interested in putting in the effort to fix that
6/4/2017 2:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/2/2017 3:55:00 PM (view original):
This is a plus/minus game. Are you implying that a failed defensive C in RF with an OPS of .950 is worse than a "normal" RF with a .710 OPS? Because, if you are, you're wrong.
Yes, I am implying that. WAR formula takes into account bat, defense, and baserunning. In your example, the .950 ops guy is probably +5 or +6 at the plate, but he's -4 in the field and probably also bad at baserunning too, so he ends up being a break-even or slightly above average guy. The .710 is +0 or -1 at the plate but +2 on defense and +2 baserunning. I dunno man I just think you're overestimating the bat and underestimating the overall negative influence. It's fine to say that it's "not so bad", because that's true. But to say that it's "best", that is definitely false. DHs play DH
6/4/2017 2:33 PM
Well, in HBD, we have all the numbers and we can crunch them. Ryu in RF was a plus.
6/4/2017 3:11 PM
123 Next ▸
How smart is the manager? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.