DL demotion/promotion question? Topic

Question: I just returned a player to AAA after taking an ML player off the DL. Next game another ML player gets hurt. I want to put him on the 15 day DL and call that same AAA player up in the same cycle (to protect against demotion penalty), but I get this message:

"Error: None of your roster moves could be added due to the following reasons:
XXXXXX cannot be promoted to the big league level because he was demoted within the last 10 days (HBD cycles) and no big league players have recently been placed on the disabled list. The player isn't eligible for promotion until 10 days have passed since his demotion or if a player on the big league team is placed on a disabled list. He has another 9 days remaining before his 10 days are up."

Would I need to place the player on the DL, then call up this same player from AAA? Would he be protected from demotion penalty, if I did that within a few minutes?
6/2/2017 12:44 PM
If you just sent a player down, which is what I think you're saying, you can't call the same player back to the major for 10 HBD days.
6/2/2017 12:51 PM
I don't know about the same cycle, but I just did a similar deal 2 real-life days later (still within 10 game restriction). I got the same error message then DL'd the injured player first before I got it to go through...Player Profile: Turner Stevenson
6/2/2017 1:06 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 6/2/2017 1:06:00 PM (view original):
I don't know about the same cycle, but I just did a similar deal 2 real-life days later (still within 10 game restriction). I got the same error message then DL'd the injured player first before I got it to go through...Player Profile: Turner Stevenson
Ah....that's it. Then the only question is the demotion penalty. My guy is still developing....that gives me pause. Thanks!
6/2/2017 1:09 PM
Pretty sure you can only DL injured players. But let us know if it goes through doing it my way.
6/2/2017 1:10 PM
I had this happen, too. Brought up a DL replacement, player got healthy, sent the player back down. Another guy got hurt, and I wanted to bring the same player back up but I had to wait 2 HBD days.

My only question with DL'ing the injured player first, then bringing the AAA player back up, in separate transactions, is this... when you eventually send the minor leaguer back down, will he now be ineligible to have the automatic demotion penalty waived? Because as I understand it, and have seen it in action, the automatic demotion penalty is only waived if the DL on/off and promotion/demotions are processed simultaneously.
6/2/2017 1:39 PM
This is my reading of the tea leaves too: I can call up the player I want, but not simultaneously with putting the other player on the DL. So, I cannot expect the demotion protection on the back end. Probably not worth it.
6/2/2017 1:49 PM
The only separate transactions are the DL and the promotion. He'll get demoted again simultaneously with the DL removal. Will that eliminate a demotion penalty?
6/2/2017 1:51 PM
As it was initially explained by dev, both have to be simultaneous, though I've never tested it otherwise (and it would need multiple tests, since a demotion penalty doesn't always occur).
6/2/2017 8:06 PM
Thanks, Z. I'll be sending my guy back down once the DL stint is over. I"ll keep an eye on it to see what happens.
6/2/2017 10:41 PM
DL demotion/promotion question? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.