Round 1 Themes, 2017 Topic

$70M: Expansion Ball
Select three single-season teams from franchises that joined MLB in 1961 or later (i.e., 62 Mets, 79 Angels, 01 Mariners). You must spend between 18M and 20M from each of these three teams. The rest of your roster can come from any season of any expansion franchise that you did not select a team from (i.e. in the above example, I would not be able to use Mets, Angels, or Mariners players from other seasons).

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1961-2016
DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
Live: Not allowed
Multi-team players: Use Full/Partial (no combined)
Ballpark: Expansion teams' parks only
300K Exception: No
Team Name: Use your three chosen teams
Division Alignment: Random

Eligible Franchises
  • Arizona Diamondbacks
  • Colorado Rockies
  • Houston Astros / Houston Colt .45s
  • Kansas City Royals
  • Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim / Anaheim Angels / California Angels / Los Angeles Angels
  • Miami Marlins / Florida Marlins
  • Milwaukee Brewers / Seattle Pilots
  • New York Mets
  • San Diego Padres
  • Seattle Mariners
  • Tampa Bay Rays / Tampa Bay Devil Rays
  • Texas Rangers / Washington Senators
  • Toronto Blue Jays
  • Washington Nationals / Montreal Expos
6/5/2017 2:48 AM (edited)
$70M Q&A

Q: Do the teams need to come from 3 different expansion franchises?
A: No, they do not need to. They can all come from the same franchise, if you wish.

Q: Can I use the park of an expansion team I don't use players from?
A: Yes, you may use any park from an expansion franchise, regardless of whether you have players on your team from that franchise.

Q: Do [the remaining players] all need to come from the same expansion franchise? For example if I use the Mets, Royals and Blue Jays as my three teams, do I need to select one franchise for all my remaining players, or can they all be from different expansion franchises outside of my original three?
A: No, they do not need to. They can come from any combination of the remaining franchises.

Q: Can I twist players?
A: No, there is no twisting in this theme.
6/5/2017 6:46 PM (edited)
$90M: Real Team + Clones with DH
Select a real team and use it's players to fill your roster. You will be able to clone a certain amount of players based on your team's real life win percentage. However, you are able to use as many clones of each player as you'd like, and your clones can come from any season (within theme rules) and/or franchise that the player played for in their career.
  • < .450 = 3 players
  • .450 - .550 = 2 players
  • >= .550 = 1 player
Example: If you select the 2015 Dodgers, who had a .552 win percentage, you could use as many clones of Clayton Kershaw as you wanted and you would not be required to use 2015 Kershaw. However, if you select the 2008 Dodgers, who had a .519 win percentage, you could use as many clones of both Clayton Kershaw and Greg Maddux as you wanted. You would not be required to use 2008 Kershaw or 2008 Maddux.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1920-2016
DH: Yes
Clones: Yes, restricted
Multi-team players: Use Full/Partial (no combined) for non-cloned players
Ballpark: The park your team played in
Team Name: Use your chosen team
6/4/2017 1:31 AM (edited)
$90M Q&A

Q: Is the season restriction (1920 to 2016) also enforced for the clones?
A: Yes, the season restriction applies to clones as well.

Q: Are rosters based on WIS-eligible players only, or full rosters on Baseball-reference.com?
A: For all tournament leagues, BBR.com rosters will be the de facto standard unless noted otherwise.

Q: if we chose a team that doesn't have 25 WIS eligible players, do we need to fill out the rest of the roster with clones in order to use it since there is no 300K exception?
A: Correct. Otherwise you are not able to use that team.
6/7/2017 5:38 PM (edited)
$100M: Hitting The Limit Twist
This will be a unique twist league. Select a ten year period for a single franchise. Now, pick up to three seasons in that period. Your roster must be made up of players twisted from those three seasons but still within the ten year period. Additionally, you cannot use players from any of the seasons you selected.

Example: You pick the 2006-2015 Dodgers. You select the seasons 2006, 2011, and 2015. You can use 2014 Greinke but not 2015 Greinke (since you selected 2015), you can use 2009 Greinke (even though he was not a Dodger), and you cannot use 2016 Greinke (since that falls outside of 2006-2015).

Other Specifics
Seasons: All
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Use a park your franchise played in during your ten year period
Team Name: Use your chosen franchise and ten year period
6/4/2017 12:04 PM (edited)
$100M Q&A

Q: Can we use 2017 as a season for the $100M twist league? (ie: 2008-2017 stretch, twisting players from a 2017 roster)
A: No, since there may be trades during the team building process and I don't want people building their teams based on different data.

Q: $100M question: In essence, are we selecting a 10-year franchise window, choosing 3 years to twist from, and using twisted player seasons from the other 7 years?
A: Correct with one addendum. You can choose UP TO three years. Choosing one or two years is totally fine.
6/7/2017 5:39 PM (edited)
$120M: Choose Your Soup
You have three options to build your team.
  • Alphabet Soup - Each player's last name must begin with a unique letter.
  • Franchise Soup - Each player must be from a unique franchise.
  • Decade Soup - Each hitter must come from a unique decade. Each pitcher must come from a unique decade. An example decade would be 1900-1909 or 1910-1919, but not 1901-1910. The periods 1885-1889 and 2010-2016 will each be treated as individual decades.
You will need to use BOTH of the restrictions you don't choose now, for one team in Round 2. For example, if you choose Alphabet Soup for Round 1, you will need to create a $120M team in Round 2 that has both the Franchise Soup and Decade Soup restrictions on it.

Other Specifics
Ballpark: Any
Team Name: Use your type of soup
6/4/2017 1:07 AM
$120M Q&A

Q: Is it okay to have players from the 1890s Baltimore Orioles and the current Baltimore Orioles, since they are different franchises, correct?
A: Correct. ALL tournament leagues use baseball-reference.com as the single source of truth for team/roster data.
6/13/2017 11:58 PM (edited)
Variable Cap: Out of Range
Your team's salary cap will be based on the highest range or fielding value on your roster. This restriction includes secondary positions but does not include pitchers.
  • A-, A, or A+ = 115M
  • B-, B, or B+ = 120M
  • C-, C, or C+ = 125M
  • D-, D, or D+ = 130M
Other Specifics
Ballpark: Any
Team Name: Reference your highest letter grade
6/4/2017 1:07 AM
Variable Cap Q&A

Q: Does the restriction include Catcher's Arm Rating?
A: No, it does not. The restriction only applies to Fielding and Range values.

Q: Some pitchers have defensive ratings at secondary positions. Are these pitchers allowed?
A: In short, yes. Since pitcher fielding ratings can't be seen in the draft center (for secondary positions), and also getting pitchers to appear at other positions would be tricky enough as it is, these pitchers will be allowed. However, these pitchers should not appear in games at any position other than pitcher, at risk of forfeit.
6/22/2017 4:48 AM (edited)
$140M: XBH Challenge with DH
Your hitters must meet one, and only one, of the following three thresholds:
  • 400 Doubles
  • 150 Triples
  • 300 Homeruns
Additionally, the park you play in must have a rating of +2 or greater in your chosen stat and cannot be above 0 for either of the other two.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1920-2016
DH: Yes
Ballpark: Restricted, see list below
300K Exception: N/A
Team Name: Use your chosen stat
6/4/2017 2:20 AM (edited)
List of Eligible Parks for $140M Theme
Doubles Parks
League Park (II)
National League Park (II)
Polo Grounds (V)
Olympic Stadium
Triples Parks
SBC / Pac Bell / AT&T Park
Pro Player / Joe Robbie / Dolphin Stadium
Petco Park
Comerica Park
Homerun Parks
Atlanta Fulton County Stadium
Bennett Park
Yankee Stadium (III)
Briggs / Tiger Stadium
Cubs / Weeghman Park / Wrigley Field
Great American Ball Park
Jarry Park
Navin Stadium
6/4/2017 1:49 AM (edited)
$140M Q&A

Q: Are the stat totals career totals for each hitter on my roster or totals for the player-seasons that make up my team?
A: They are totals for the player-seasons that make up your team.

Q: Are the 400 doubles, 150 triples, or 300 HR actual season totals OR projected to 162 games totals?
A: The projected to 162 game totals.
6/10/2017 10:57 PM (edited)
Keep in mind that the salaries are going to change on June 20th, so you may want to wait a bit before finalizing your teams.
6/4/2017 2:06 AM (edited)
Question on the $90M theme:

Is the season restriction (1920 to 2016) also enforced for the clones?

It doesn't sound like it does based on the line in the description: "your clones can come from any season and/or franchise that the player played for in their career."

6/4/2017 1:30 AM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes, 2017 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.