Round 1 Themes, 2017 Topic

Posted by schwarze on 7/28/2017 9:21:00 AM (view original):
I finally completed my 70M team. I didn't even try multiple combinations. Once I found something that worked (i.e., that fit), that was it.

I found this theme very difficult. The biggest issue was the narrow $2 million range to try and squeeze in the right combination of players from a selected team. I often found a team would be at $17 million and the only additional player worth adding was over $3M. Or I found a team with five $4M+ players worth adding.... which means I'm at $16M or over $20M. I think a $4M range (i.e., $16-20M) would have made things a little more manageable.

Oh, and I initially forgot about the full/partial rule, and of course, my first pass had a player with a combined season on the roster. Doh!

I'm assuming others had trouble as well.
This one was definitely the most challenging for me and took the longest. I built multiple teams and ended up going with the one I disliked the least, am interested to read others strategies when building this one.
7/28/2017 11:31 AM
I started the 70M first, gave up, and now I've saved it for last. Uh-oh.
7/28/2017 12:06 PM
Depends what you mean by most challenging. I couldn't really find a $70M team I was totally comfortable with so it was easy to just take the best one and go with it. The $90M and $100M ones are killing me because I have so many teams I like for different reasons and no one team stands out as better. It's gonna suck if I pick the wrong one - be left wondering all season how the others would have fared.
7/28/2017 12:15 PM
I finally completed my 70M team. I didn't even try multiple combinations. Once I found something that worked (i.e., that fit), that was it.

I found this theme very difficult. The biggest issue was the narrow $2 million range to try and squeeze in the right combination of players from a selected team. I often found a team would be at $17 million and the only additional player worth adding was over $3M. Or I found a team with five $4M+ players worth adding.... which means I'm at $16M or over $20M. I think a $4M range (i.e., $16-20M) would have made things a little more manageable.

Oh, and I initially forgot about the full/partial rule, and of course, my first pass had a player with a combined season on the roster. Doh!

You assumed correctly in my case. Spent way too much time constructing what looks to be a crappy team
7/28/2017 2:29 PM
Posted by redcped on 7/28/2017 12:06:00 PM (view original):
I started the 70M first, gave up, and now I've saved it for last. Uh-oh.
I did too. I always start low salary to high salary... But gave up on this pretty quickly to work on the other teams. saved this for last. I wouldn't wait too long to start on this if I were you.
7/28/2017 2:46 PM
I will put this thought out there ; this theme may be intimidating as the first one that is viewed by prospective gamers and as such contributed to the tournament having a short wait list. it had me thinking that I may not enter. it is a good league for the tournament. I spent several hours picking my team.
7/28/2017 9:52 PM
$90M was the killer for me, I didn't like anybody. $70M not so bad, I decided what kind of roster would require less legwork and took a shortcut to finding it. $100M looked so time consuming I just entered the first team I drafted, not going to waste my life trying out different combinations. Time management is definitely a factor with these 3 themes. The higher 3 themes were much easier to draft.
7/28/2017 10:47 PM (edited)
I think 70, 90, and 100 were all pretty tough and it'll be interesting to see what people ended up with.

I frequently end up messing up partial/combined/full type restrictions. Fortunately I caught my first error early enough to start that team from scratch...
7/28/2017 11:03 PM
The $70M and $90M took the most time to build, but were the most fun. Trying to come up with enough PA and IP were the biggest challenges, but I like the cores of both teams. My $100M team came together without too much trouble. The higher cap themes are pretty straightforward. I can see the 2nd round of Soup being a tougher build, but doable...

The franchise leagues are a good build. Depending on the cap, building a competitive team, and one that will play well in their park. Not always easy...a franchise might work at $90 or $100M, but not good enough at a low or high cap...
7/28/2017 11:18 PM (edited)

That we were limited to expansion teams made this easier, IMO. ..to me it narrowed my choices. There were only a few franchises that I wanted to build from. The biggest challenge was filling in what I couldn't get from my 3 teams.

I find it very surprising that The Schwarze had to work at it. We've built how many thousands of teams?
7/28/2017 11:29 PM
I feel better about these teams going in than I did last year. I knew my $255M team was going to be a longshot to do anything positive, and sure enough they went 70-92...that did me in. My play in high cap leagues is very limited. Was happy to see nothing above $140M this year...

Will we see a repeat? No teams with 2 or less playoff teams advanced in 2016...
7/28/2017 11:39 PM
My 70M and 100M teams scare the hell out of me. I am not patient enough to do the research needed and couple that with traveling a lot and fogetaboutit. I am not good at SLB at all to begin with and my love for the old timers and lack of defense is my downfall. I only have about 25,000 SLB games under my belt so baby steps for me Goal is to finish in the top 75 this go round!
7/29/2017 12:48 PM
To that i would say go back and read last season's strategy posts, especially Waitnsee's thoughts on team building. Some very good insight that can be put to use here...
7/29/2017 3:31 PM

I had a team built that I really liked right off the bat. Realized that two of the important cogs were combined seasons. Had to scrap the team. Never quite built another one that equaled it.
7/30/2017 8:35 AM
I don't really play low cap leagues so we'll see how my $70 mil team turns out.

I love my $90 mil team, forgot about DH, but **** it. Heard offense isn't affected by fatigue until around the 92-93% mark. So DH will be a revolving door.

I love love love my Soup team. I might have a challenge when it comes to round 2, but right now, that's my best team. That's the one that's going to the ToC.

I'm curious to play a $255 mil league. Never made a competitive team for that high of a cap, they were always gimmicky.

Anyways, I usually stay between $110-$140 mil leagues, so those are the ones I know I'll do best in.
7/31/2017 12:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes, 2017 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.