The problem with progressives... Topic

you might also consider having a minute limit on the "keeper" list.

that would certainly expand the free agent pool for the regular draft

6/7/2017 12:59 AM
Posted by thohoops on 6/7/2017 12:59:00 AM (view original):
you might also consider having a minute limit on the "keeper" list.

that would certainly expand the free agent pool for the regular draft

Yea was thinking about that. In this scenario all cuts go to the Free Agent pool not the Draft. So Draft will be for 1st time players only

6/7/2017 8:13 AM
Progressive League Minute Limit
Votes: 8
(Last vote received: 6/21/2017 12:12 AM)
6/7/2017 10:11 AM
I assume this vote is for keepers, right? Not limiting what you can get after keepers through the draft or whatever.
6/7/2017 10:53 AM
Posted by slashtc on 6/7/2017 10:53:00 AM (view original):
I assume this vote is for keepers, right? Not limiting what you can get after keepers through the draft or whatever.
This is total, this is the most minutes a team can have in a season
6/7/2017 11:02 AM
I guess I don't think there should be a limit. I can see limiting keepers (and even having a floor too) because it puts talent back into the pool, which is good. Limiting what you can draft though doesn't sit right with me. Might be really interesting for a themed progressive, but not as a solution across progressives. I'm looking at this more big picture.
6/7/2017 11:25 AM
Posted by slashtc on 6/7/2017 11:25:00 AM (view original):
I guess I don't think there should be a limit. I can see limiting keepers (and even having a floor too) because it puts talent back into the pool, which is good. Limiting what you can draft though doesn't sit right with me. Might be really interesting for a themed progressive, but not as a solution across progressives. I'm looking at this more big picture.
Looking at the big picture as well and agree with not limiting on who you can draft.

The cuts can happen after the draft as well but before the Free Agent draft. So an owner can have a better idea of what minutes they have and how to manage it.
6/7/2017 11:57 AM
I think I like the limit on keeper minutes better. Some leagues tried to restrict keepers to 8 or 9 or some other number in the past; if you put keeper minutes at something like 18k it would always force a lot of cuts, a lot of guys in the available pool to choose from, and simulate a lot more realism with player turnover. My Salt Lake team, for example, would not be anything close to what it's about to be, as I would have had to consistently make a ton of cuts and use my draft picks instead of just stockpiling picks for several seasons on end...

That excites me.
6/7/2017 4:42 PM
I have 28,676 from my 12 keepers in 1 league (double season). Only 2 guys under 2000.

The other progressive league (which looks like it may fold due to cheating and horrible decision-making) is a single season and I have 27,706 with 12 keepers. That's ridiculous, yet not even close to the biggest problem in that league.
6/7/2017 5:08 PM
I love the idea of minutes or money caps. The one thing about progs with 18 to 24 different owners you have to
keep it simple.
The more moving parts the more organization required.
The more onus on the Commish to make it right.
I've dealt with keepers list for awhile now and some of
them are barely make sense. Making some owners
go back to re edit their keepers can be time consuming
and frustrating.
I'd love to be in a cap league but not as a commissioner.
Unfortunately keeping it
simple opens the door to numerous problems.
Dedicated owners are the key. Obviously WifS admin
Is of NO HELP. It's all up to the owners.
6/7/2017 6:50 PM
Very exciting to see this discussion, I am new to progs, TEPL my first but now in 4 (about to be 3 for same reason slash outlined above). Any way to make them better with more turnover is a great great thing.
6/7/2017 8:41 PM
Posted by jkaye24 on 6/7/2017 8:41:00 PM (view original):
Very exciting to see this discussion, I am new to progs, TEPL my first but now in 4 (about to be 3 for same reason slash outlined above). Any way to make them better with more turnover is a great great thing.
Sorry your experiencing that, but so glad it's not your only progressive. They can be a lot of fun.
6/7/2017 9:11 PM
I haven't been on the site much lately, but I had two ideas for progressives that are similar to some of the suggestions already. I didn't propose them because one I thought wouldn't get enough interest and the second was too much work for a commish.

The first (which I liked the most) would've combined something that LTB said (how a cool thing about progressives is how a guy like Bernard King can be a centerpiece), a cap, and free agency. I was thinking of calling it "time machine progressive", an all-time progressive where you had to have at least one player from each decade (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s) on your team every season. During drafts you could pick any season for a player to start their career. When they retire they spend a season in purgatory before being redraftable. Any player cut would continue their career as normal.

To add to the draft pool, and I think this is the selling point for parity in the league, after the playoffs teams were set playoffs teams would randomly have one of their top 6 salaried players become a pending free agent. They would have a full off season where they would know they were going to lose them and could decide to trade that player or go all in for that player's last season. Even if the player is traded they would still become a free agent. As a result, every season 12 players could switch from playoff teams to non playoff teams. I was thinking a salary cap also on the league, but a minutes cap could work also.

The second idea (which is less fleshed out, mostly because I have no interest in doing the work for it) would be a salary cap league that doesn't use WIS salary structure. Let's say you have a 50 million dollar cap. Drafted players would get 4 year contracts before becoming free agents. Free agents would be acquired through blind bids. Make sense?
6/8/2017 9:15 AM (edited)
Anything beyond either a salary cap or minute cap is probably going to be more trouble than its worth. Jt7king, I was in a progressive league years ago where u didn't have to start a drafted player in their rookie year. I liked that league, but it folded in less than 10 seasons.
6/8/2017 11:21 AM
It's great for a progressive theme though. People would probably play that if someone was willing to do the work of running it.
6/8/2017 11:25 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
The problem with progressives... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.