The problem with progressives... Topic

I could just see it being easier to rebuild and less incentive to tank if they don't have to start in their rookie year and you have free agency. And it's fair-ish to contending teams, if you get an unlucky pull and lose Larry Bird or Wilt you'll still have another full season with them before you lose them. You can trade them or try to go all in before you lose them.

Look I'm totally guilty of "tank and dominate", it's really the best strategy. But if you take away from playoff teams every season, you'll chip away at dynasties.

I didn't think it would get enough interest, there's what 40 owners here and a bunch of progressives already running? Then I had a lot of changes in my personal life and stopped playing. But still, would be fun.
6/8/2017 11:48 AM (edited)
Hopefully someone will start a progressive up with a minutes limit. I don't have the time to do
6/8/2017 3:19 PM
To address the tanking problem, some progressive leagues I've been in - not WIS - used a creative draft process.

All non-playoff teams drafted in the opposite direction - best record first, worst record last. This gave every team the incentive to win. There was no incentive to lose.

The teams more likely to make the playoffs obviously had the incentive to win - to make the playoffs & for better playoff seeding.

The teams less likely to make the playoffs also had the incentive to win - for better draft position.

The playoff teams would draft as normal - worst record first, best record last.

So, a 24 team league with 8 playoff teams would draft as follows: 9th best record,10th,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
6/9/2017 3:50 PM
it's not that hard for someone (commissioner) to create a list of current players/minutes per team, as well as the over/under, based on the last season roster

(Zizzo does this without the minutes in his ZPL leagues)

you can trade/drop merrily away until "keepers are frozen", and then you deal with what you kept . . .

there is a question of "split seasons" that would have to be dealt with -- to keep it simple I would say use the "max"
6/9/2017 8:42 PM
I can't even comprehend how to go about that. Sounds like a lot of work to me.
6/10/2017 5:34 PM
would take about 15 minutes per team to collect minute information
(used to do this in one of the progressives I was in)

for someone with appropriate computer programming skills, it would probably take about a day or two to create a program that could automatically collect the info from the WIS database and put in a form that could be posted, per team.
I see some evidence that at least some WIS users know how to create programs to collect such data
6/10/2017 6:40 PM
That's 6 hours. I say again: sounds like a lot of work to me.
6/10/2017 7:22 PM
If I had more background in web programming, creating a tool would be fairly easy. Something to ponder on my summer vacation, I suppose :-)
6/10/2017 10:54 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 6/5/2017 6:05:00 PM (view original):
52 mil cap is way too high. My Celtics team that won 75+ games 5 seasons in a row only exceeded that once (and just barely. I could have cut a player that never even played and got under the cap). If you're going to do a cap league, there's really no point in having it over 48 mil or at the very highest 50.

One really goid thing that would come of this: no one would have too many excess minutes so there would be a very small need for scrubs!
Yeah, that is way too high. If I recall, I made the conference finals ~5 years (single prog) with a team that hovered around $41M.
6/21/2017 12:11 AM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 6/5/2017 11:04:00 AM (view original):
I wonder if having a keeper limit, or a seasons limit of having a player would help (to approximate free agency).
That is VERY interesting.
6/21/2017 12:11 AM
Posted by eleibowitz on 6/7/2017 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 6/5/2017 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 6/5/2017 6:05:00 PM (view original):
52 mil cap is way too high. My Celtics team that won 75+ games 5 seasons in a row only exceeded that once (and just barely. I could have cut a player that never even played and got under the cap). If you're going to do a cap league, there's really no point in having it over 48 mil or at the very highest 50.

One really goid thing that would come of this: no one would have too many excess minutes so there would be a very small need for scrubs!
It'd also depend on type. That was a single-season progressive. A double year or double era would see more teams break through that, but yeah, that's a good point for sure.

And yeah, the minute distribution would be much better.
Agreed if you had a minutes cap, that would help. Maybe 21000 minutes.. So the discarded players can go into a "free agent" pool and there's a redraft starting from the worse team no lottery.

So they can potentially pick up players not scrubs and they can be a better team for it
Yeah, we have always thought about minute floors, but using a minutes cap over a salary cap is a great idea.
6/21/2017 12:12 AM
Posted by eleibowitz on 6/7/2017 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by slashtc on 6/7/2017 10:53:00 AM (view original):
I assume this vote is for keepers, right? Not limiting what you can get after keepers through the draft or whatever.
This is total, this is the most minutes a team can have in a season
My thoughts as well.
6/21/2017 12:13 AM
Posted by eleibowitz on 6/8/2017 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Hopefully someone will start a progressive up with a minutes limit. I don't have the time to do
It has been a few years since I have run one but I have the data/organization to do it... in any other state I would volunteer. But I am 11 weeks away from my first kid so the timing couldn't be worse. I could help out someone who did in roster management/keeper list/available player list data management though.
6/21/2017 12:15 AM
Posted by thohoops on 6/10/2017 10:54:00 PM (view original):
If I had more background in web programming, creating a tool would be fairly easy. Something to ponder on my summer vacation, I suppose :-)
I have a screen scraper built I used to build the full WIS database, which in turn built the debuts by year list that generally everyone here uses now.
6/21/2017 12:16 AM
Never been in a progressive league. Can someone explain the basics? Thanks
7/10/2017 5:32 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
The problem with progressives... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.