OLine depth chart settings Topic

I have a question as to how the OL formation settings correlate to the settings on the depth chart. I am curious as to how some of you interpret this? I know on the formation settings OL1 is the left tackle, OL2 is the right tackle, OL4 is the left guard, OL 5 is the right guard, and OL3 is the center. Now that being said, do you set your best lineman in order 1 through 5 on the depth chart, and so on, or do you line them up according to each individual player's skill set? For example, traditional thinking dictates that the best pass blocker lines up at left tackle (OL1), to protect a quarterback's blind side, while the best run blocker usually lines up at right tackle (OL2), because most running plays are to the right side (which is usually the strong side), and so on. Am I over thinking this here, because it seems like I am trying to "manufacture a tornado in order to blow out a match" Any thoughts, and thanks in advance?
6/5/2017 2:15 AM
I play the smartest lineman at center. He's supposed to be the 'quarterback' of the offensive line, so it makes sense to me. The weakest of the five strongest offensive lineman I play at left guard to give the line balance: left side is my best OL or second best and fifth best, right side is my second best and fourth best or third best and fourth best.
6/5/2017 2:26 AM
i put my best hands guy at center

i fear the exchange

i know, dumb, but that's what i do
6/5/2017 3:56 AM
Tornado.
6/5/2017 9:09 AM
I usually put my 2 best OL at tackle and then fill in the guards. I don't think there is much difference between the G/G/C positions.

If you wanted to really dig into the depth chart, I would probably determine whether my opponent is playing his best DL's as DE's or DT's, and then counter by either a) matching my best OL to that or b) putting my best OL at the other position and then exploiting that mismatch in the running game.
6/5/2017 9:21 AM
I don't worry about tackles and Center/Guards. I use OL1 and OL2 to set my 5 best linemen for run blocking vs pass blocking.
6/5/2017 9:48 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 6/5/2017 9:48:00 AM (view original):
I don't worry about tackles and Center/Guards. I use OL1 and OL2 to set my 5 best linemen for run blocking vs pass blocking.
Correct.
6/19/2017 1:36 PM
Do you have an alternate ID, strieffman?
6/19/2017 2:11 PM
No, i do not
6/19/2017 11:27 PM
Posted by strieffman on 6/19/2017 11:27:00 PM (view original):
No, i do not
Okay, cool. Thanks.
6/19/2017 11:47 PM
What do you guys consider pass blocking attributes vs. run blocking attributes? I use to separate them, but now just roll with the same OL run/pass. Haven't missed a beat.
6/22/2017 12:26 AM
I set Strength VS Blocking
6/26/2017 5:36 PM
I don't separate them. Never have. I know some pretty good coaches do though.
If someone could tell me why it's important enough to set up two different formations and double the size of the playbook, I would probably think differently.
6/26/2017 6:03 PM
columbus, I sent you a sitemail.
6/26/2017 6:58 PM
If you look at the default position roles that WIS supplies, it values BLK over STR almost 2x for tackles, and vice versa for interior OL. You'd have to assume there was some reasoning behind that.

I personally value GI and TECH much more than those default settings
6/27/2017 12:08 PM
12 Next ▸
OLine depth chart settings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.