Postseason Projection Topic

What is the formula for seeding?

Currently in Phelan, my team sits 18-9 with a top 25 RPI and a 21 SOS and I'm 50th... assuming 13 seed. Is that accurate?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=14416

Did I schedule too hard on my non conference? I felt like I had to, based on my conference being terrible (other than Endicott

I also scheduled them all away...

any additional advice on scheduling?

6/6/2017 4:16 PM
You are correct that you are in line for a 13 seed.

The biggest reason for the discrepancy between your rpi and projection report is your lack of quality wins. You only have two top 100 wins (both in conference) and no top 50 wins. Fortunately you also have no bad losses.

The projection report works similarly to how teams are chosen for the tournament in real life. It looks at your resume as a whole and not just rpi. Having a good rpi is important but you also want to give yourself a shot for some quality wins. Right now you are 2-9 vs the top 100.

Just looking at the spreads it looks like your first 3 games were a little too tough. I don't recommend scheduling any games that you don't think you have a shot to win. Losing on the road to a top 15 team helps your sos but isn't as useful for your NT seeding as getting a top 50 or 100 win at home.

In short, try to schedule the toughest games that you think you can win. Having one really tough game to test your team isn't a terrible idea, just keep the bigger picture in mind when scheduling. Schedule sims on the road to help your rpi and resume.
6/6/2017 5:18 PM
Schedule he toughest possible where do you go 9-1, you won't be surprised good or bad.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Schedule.aspx?tid=6447
6/6/2017 5:42 PM
I think the projection report and seeding in HD is pretty good. Rankings seem to value wins vs SOS a lot more.

I actually just got a 1 seed in Phelan but I'm ranked #20. Seems like a pretty big difference.
6/7/2017 2:23 PM
yeah i find scheduling to be a difficult aspect especially now that I have built a mediocre team and I am trying to balance a fair amount of easy, challenging and one very difficult games. But I find it difficult to evaluate a team's difficulty level for the next season, what do you guys use ? Team overall rating, individual stats, RPI?
6/7/2017 2:57 PM
So I just missed out on the NT tourney.

19-10, RPI 30, SOS 19 -
2-10 vs top 100 RPI (1-2 @ home, 1-9 away, 0-1 neutral) 3 losses to #3 Endicott
5-0 vs 100-200 RPI (2-0 @ home, 3-0 away)
10 road wins.

never again will I schedule this hard again, I did it knowing my conference blows (finished 16-3 losing all 3 to Endicott)

I have never seen a team in real life with 19 wins, RPI in the top 30 and SOS in the top 20 not make the tourney...
6/7/2017 3:37 PM (edited)
Bummer. Don't you mean you missed out on the *NT? You have to be for sure in the PIT with an RPI and SOS that high. I don't think that would ever happen in RL, an RPI that high would get a solid seed.
6/7/2017 3:34 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 6/7/2017 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Bummer. Don't you mean you missed out on the *NT? You have to be for sure in the PIT with an RPI and SOS that high. I don't think that would ever happen in RL, an RPI that high would get a solid seed.
Fixed. Thank you :)

I am in the PIT - just frustrated because I thought I scheduled well enough to compensate for a terrible conference...
6/7/2017 3:38 PM
Honestly, it sucks to say but just schedule 10 of the best sims you can find on the road.

Again:

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Schedule.aspx?tid=6447
6/7/2017 4:10 PM
That's a major bummer. Reminds me of the Missouri St team that got snubbed in 2006. I think they had an RPI of 21 and a top 50 SOS.
6/7/2017 4:17 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 6/7/2017 2:57:00 PM (view original):
yeah i find scheduling to be a difficult aspect especially now that I have built a mediocre team and I am trying to balance a fair amount of easy, challenging and one very difficult games. But I find it difficult to evaluate a team's difficulty level for the next season, what do you guys use ? Team overall rating, individual stats, RPI?
I look for teams that are junior/sophomore heavy that I think I can beat, preferably in Sim-heavy conferences -- even if they take walk-ons during the recruiting cycle, the upper-class players and soft conference schedule will give them a decent number of wins so as to not hurt me.
6/7/2017 4:54 PM
That's a bummer Carlos. Never schedule guaranteed losses. Playing top 10 teams may seem like fun but if you're a bubble team then you're not going to win. Schedule likely wins against decent teams.
6/7/2017 5:05 PM
I'll echo what most others have said here. Scheduling is one of the harder aspects to get a solid handle on. A few pointers I'll throw out:
1) I hate scheduling guaranteed losses for the SOS boost-I'd rather have the extra win against a top 50 or top 100 team.
2) In 3.0, I tend to wait until after RS1 to make any schedule. If recruiting is going poorly you don't want to end up with 4 losses in noncon because you had to take 3+ walk ons, or because you had to promise a bunch of starts in order to sign kids.
3) I try and schedule the 10 best teams I think I can beat. As rednu said, sims that are going to be SR heavy tend to do well-the exception to this is if they run zone, they tend to lose 4-6 more games than they would if they ran press or man, so I steer clear of sim zone teams.
4) To get an idea of where I stand, I'll copy/paste my team ratings into Excel and remove my seniors. Then I can look at who I'm returning and compare to other teams.
5) When scheduling sims, look to see if they have a bunch of other humans playing them. If you see they have 8 games already scheduled against top human teams, why play a team that's gonna go 0-10 or 1-9 in noncon?

Just my two cents.
6/7/2017 9:57 PM
Great feedback guys. Appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for letting me air out my frustration. I truly did think i could go 6-4 in my non con, and finish with 20+ wins, but I ended up 3-7 and that hurt.
6/8/2017 12:19 AM
I order by overall record, and then if I'm looking at a regular year where I just need to get around a 5 seed or lower then I look for the highest sims with only a few seniors. If my team is looking like it's going to be good then I order by overall record and look for humans that I feel I would be the favorite against but will still get 20+ wins.
6/8/2017 12:37 AM
Postseason Projection Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.