Non-athletic PG Topic

Found a recruit that's 11-ATH, 73-SPD. Good PG cores in BH/PER/P.

Can this guy be a D3 PG?
6/7/2017 8:22 AM
That's a TON of ATH to give up. His defense better be like 70+ to make up for it. At best he's a career backup PG. Just my opinion.
6/7/2017 8:25 AM
Does he have any growth left for his athleticism and speed?
6/7/2017 8:34 AM
Potentials are everything in D3. So with a blue ATH in the least, he is serviceable.
6/7/2017 8:38 AM
Considering my conference mates read this forum, I'm probably giving up too much info as is. But, no, not really.

I was more wondering if he could be a facilitator or if he'd be able to create his own shot. I assumed he'd be a foul machine on D. I do play zone.
6/7/2017 8:40 AM
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?&pid=3506675

Could end up like this guy. Best example I have.
6/7/2017 8:40 AM
That's actually pretty close. I don't think he gets there in ATH and he's already 77 PER. 1 REB/BLK.

My two PG are JR so I'd be able give him 1 year to learn then he has to start. I'm just not sure 25ish ATH would cut it as a starter in his 2nd year. My current guys are 50+ ATH and 70+ SPD. I just feel like that's a huge drop.
6/7/2017 8:49 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/7/2017 8:49:00 AM (view original):
That's actually pretty close. I don't think he gets there in ATH and he's already 77 PER. 1 REB/BLK.

My two PG are JR so I'd be able give him 1 year to learn then he has to start. I'm just not sure 25ish ATH would cut it as a starter in his 2nd year. My current guys are 50+ ATH and 70+ SPD. I just feel like that's a huge drop.
I agree with your last statement. From what I've seen and read, I think too many zone coaches get excited when they find a guy with a glaring weakness that excels elsewhere because they feel they can "hide" them in the zone. While it's not untrue, the best zone teams tend not to have anyone hidden (especially not a starter). They take advantage of the fact they can play 5 really good players 34+ minutes, allowing them to dominate their opponents benches.
6/7/2017 9:13 AM
If we're being honest with ourselves, we just want to prove we're smarter than the next guy. At least in the HD sense. So, if you find a player that most won't use, and are successful, you can say "See? Told ya'!!!!!" And it's easier to use a flawed player in zone, IMO.
6/7/2017 9:55 AM
I've only played zone for 3 seasons but in some ways I think it's easier to hide a bad defensive player in Man. If he has some positional flexibility I can usually find a match up where he won't be be too much of a liability. The problem with zone is that a defensive liability brings down your averages and makes everyone play worse.

This player is in D2 but fits the topic of this thread. My offense is way more effective when he's running the show, but his defense is obviously an issue.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=4560&pid=3560764
6/7/2017 10:20 AM
Yep, that's pretty much what I'd expect a D2 version of the guy I'm talking about to look like. If I was sure I could get .440 FG3% and 18 points a game, I don't think I'd be so hesitant. But I'm comparing him to my current guys, who combined are around .480 and 18.9 ppg, and he just looks so different. They're also much better defenders.
6/7/2017 10:29 AM
Maybe as a backup. As a starter, a player like that will be a foul machine, even in DIII
6/7/2017 11:03 AM
If you are going sub 30 in Ath and def, you really need a 90+ speed.
6/7/2017 12:30 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/7/2017 12:30:00 PM (view original):
If you are going sub 30 in Ath and def, you really need a 90+ speed.
Yes. I don't see where Mike mentioned defense rating/potential, but if it's below 25/35, I wouldn't bother thinking about ever starting him. If he was blue in speed at 70+, you might have something.

Low ath/def guys who are truly great/elite in the pg cores - 80+ speed, BH, pass - can be very effective at D3. But if those cores are only good or serviceable, you're probably giving up too much, if you want to field a contender. And sure, you can "hide" them in zone, but that means pairing him with a high ath/def guy at the 2 (or 3 in a 3-2).

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?&pid=2607924

This guy, for example, was a pretty good D3 pg. But his teams never broke through to the championship level. As I recall (my son was still handling this team at the time) he would get burned and foul out of tournament games.
6/7/2017 1:02 PM (edited)
6/7/2017 1:02 PM
12 Next ▸
Non-athletic PG Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.