Non-athletic PG Topic

This guy doesn't suck either.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=8376&pid=3547297

6/7/2017 2:02 PM
Mike, he can be a decent DIII player depending on who you play at the 2 and the 3 (if you go with a 3-2.) Without knowing that info, answering your initial question is difficult.
6/7/2017 2:07 PM
Since I'm looking at him as a fallback option, he's 32r in DEF, 70+ in PER(yellow)/BH(green) and 52g in passing. I think his core skills with be elite. I just can't see him as a starter. Wouldn't mind him firing 'em up off the bench but, as mentioned, I'd likely need him to start his SO year unless I found a JUCO who could start in front of him.
6/7/2017 2:08 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/7/2017 12:30:00 PM (view original):
If you are going sub 30 in Ath and def, you really need a 90+ speed.
Exactly what I was thinking. But I'd also prefer him in press.
6/7/2017 2:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/7/2017 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Since I'm looking at him as a fallback option, he's 32r in DEF, 70+ in PER(yellow)/BH(green) and 52g in passing. I think his core skills with be elite. I just can't see him as a starter. Wouldn't mind him firing 'em up off the bench but, as mentioned, I'd likely need him to start his SO year unless I found a JUCO who could start in front of him.
How much are you willing to gameplan each night? In DII I had a 30 Ath and De guy with 95 plus Speed, Bh, and Per and in his senior year, I successfully moved him around each night so he wouldn't get exposed. It helped that I had some really versatile guys who could play 1 thru 3 around him.
6/7/2017 2:47 PM
In the zone, moving him around isn't very important. In 2-3, he's paired with SG unless I was going to play him at SF(which I wouldn't). In 3-2, he's grouped with SG/SF and I damn sure wouldn't use him at PF. I'm pretty sure that's what someone meant earlier when they said "hide". IOW, group him with strong defenders.

But, to answer your question, I gameplan every game. Maybe I don't change anything but I look to see if there's an advantage to be gained.
6/7/2017 3:04 PM
Mike, I would disagree with those who say you can't do well with a non athletic pg, but he better be an elite guy in all the core pg skills. On my DIII team, I ran M2M and had a pg who had bad ATH and DEF. I mean like 10 Ath and 20 Def, but he was in the High 80's - 90's in Spd, Per, BH, and Pass. Despite the low defense, he was my starter and got me within a few points of winning the title his senior year. You may have to move him on defense for bad matchups or double team. It's not the ideal player, but they can be very useful if used right.

The alternative option is to make him a career backup. Chances are he will face lesser guys which will make the Ath less of an issue, and his scoring opportunities are amplified against weaker defenders.
6/7/2017 11:09 PM
Personally, I think he'd work in a 3-2 zone but you sort of have to build around him. I'm not sure he gets good enough to build around.
6/8/2017 8:27 AM
Moot point anyway. Human D1 is on him.
6/8/2017 8:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/8/2017 8:29:00 AM (view original):
Moot point anyway. Human D1 is on him.
LOL
6/8/2017 10:00 AM
◂ Prev 12
Non-athletic PG Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.