scouting - numerical equivalents of letter grades Topic

Have my first two teams since 3.0 came in after a long hiatus. It looks to me like the numerical equivalents for the letter grades mentioned in chapelhillne's Guide to the New HD 3.0 runs pretty true to form. Just wondering if any of you tend to stop scouting at level 3 (or even 2) once you're able to see these letter grades and the recruit preferences? Might be a better use of limited scouting budget. Both of my teams are DIII.
6/7/2017 3:39 PM
For my D3 teams, I consider Level 3 good enough because of the limited scouting budget and having a little more margin for error on how the player will pan out. Level 2 doesn't cut it for me because you can't see potential yet. I just try to weed out guys with bad preferences and low WE at Level 2.

At D2, with a better scouting budget, I'll narrow my list down using Level 3 info, but almost always scout to Level 4 before I make an offer.
6/7/2017 3:58 PM
Huh. I like to whittle my list down to 20-60 fully scouted players depending on whether it is DII of DI and how many openings I have.
6/8/2017 8:52 AM (edited)
Generally scouting as many players to at least level 3 is my primary objective. I see the difference between scouting from level 2 to 3 far superior and more important than 1 to 2 or 3 to 4.

But given the scouting methods that we have, I rarely do individual scouting, I use my budget on all the scouting tools we have (camps, assistant search, scouting service) as this is the most effective scouting you can get for your buck per player. But the primary objective that I have my sight on with my approach is to get as many level 3 as possible, just happens that usually I end up with more level 4 than 3 so this is icing on the cake.

I usually leave a little scouting cash on the side and if there is a player who is scouted below level 2, then i may do individual scouting to 3 if I see he may be a big asset to me (distance or strong preference or no one is recruiting after him).

Bottom line: it's all about the level 3 for me.
6/8/2017 3:54 AM
At D3, I actually skip the Camps and just use the Scouting Service. And as to the level, I generally will scout most players to only level 2. If I do not have "positive" preferences I keep on searching. Once I find prospects that I have a "positive" preference match with, I go to level 3. Generally speaking, I will only go level 4 to decide between my final choices. More bang for the D3 buck that way.
6/8/2017 7:45 AM
Posted by gjalpert on 6/8/2017 3:54:00 AM (view original):
Generally scouting as many players to at least level 3 is my primary objective. I see the difference between scouting from level 2 to 3 far superior and more important than 1 to 2 or 3 to 4.

But given the scouting methods that we have, I rarely do individual scouting, I use my budget on all the scouting tools we have (camps, assistant search, scouting service) as this is the most effective scouting you can get for your buck per player. But the primary objective that I have my sight on with my approach is to get as many level 3 as possible, just happens that usually I end up with more level 4 than 3 so this is icing on the cake.

I usually leave a little scouting cash on the side and if there is a player who is scouted below level 2, then i may do individual scouting to 3 if I see he may be a big asset to me (distance or strong preference or no one is recruiting after him).

Bottom line: it's all about the level 3 for me.
Why do you prefer to not do individual scouting? Just the time commitment?
6/8/2017 2:46 PM
Individual scouting is far more expensive per player, if you did individual scouting, you will find that you are not getting the most out of your money. Individual scouting as i mentioned is something i do a little in the end that i leave on the side in case i really see someone who really worth looking farther into.
9/2/2017 4:52 AM
scouting - numerical equivalents of letter grades Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.