Full Court Press at Division 1 Topic

Just took over my first Div 1 team in Rupp. Boise State runs a Fastbreak and a man to man defense. I was thinking about changing over to the press defense as I've had a lot of success with it at Div 2. Noticed that no one in div 1 really runs the Press defense. Can it be done in div 1?
6/7/2017 4:09 PM
0nly just won a title at Utah in Tark running FB/FCP. It's probably a good idea since a lot of teams have multiple walk ons.
6/7/2017 4:21 PM
It isn't easy. Filling a roster with 12 legit players every year is a task. You have to sacrifice talent for depth and can't maximize your best players.
6/7/2017 4:58 PM
It is tough. I have three press teams at D1. Penn (Allen), Baylor (Smith), and Southern Mississippi (Wooden) but my M2M team (San Diego State- Rupp) has done the best. If you are good enough you can run the press with 9-10 players with high stamina like hawkfan1991 did in knocking me out of the Elite 8. Here was his UConn team.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Roster.aspx?tid=4273

I like to run my press teams 10-12 deep. You have to scout wide to get enough players and occasionally have to gamble on one that you haven't scouted past level 2.
6/7/2017 8:29 PM
Thanks guys. You told me exactly what I needed to know. I think I'm going to give it a whirl after next season.
6/7/2017 8:55 PM
I've been thinking of trying this with one of my mid-major D1's. (maybe University of New Orleans in Naismith) - it seems like there could be a good alternative strategy with having 12 good players that stick around with good stamina, won't be drafted, against the many big 6 conference teams that are very top-heavy
6/7/2017 9:07 PM
This is what I've been doing for a few years now and it's worked rather well. Filling holes and making sure you have depth is the key. The new recruiting makes it more difficult, but I love running it.
6/7/2017 10:57 PM
Full Court Press at Division 1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.