Which player? (UPDATED - Post-draft) Topic

Posted by hockey1984 on 6/8/2017 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Part II of this is if the LF legit does have low health and you have $20 med I'm salivating. A few good injuries can make up for bad scouting real fast.
Can you clarify? Are you saying avoid the LF because injuries can kill his career, or are you saying take him because high medical and makeup makes up for it?
6/8/2017 3:21 PM
hockey1984 is an injury bug addict. :-P He's saying if the guy gets injured you just cook him on the 60-day DL and roid up his ratings. IMO it's a risk. But the consensus seems to like the LF anyway.

6/8/2017 3:29 PM
Posted by damag on 6/8/2017 3:29:00 PM (view original):
hockey1984 is an injury bug addict. :-P He's saying if the guy gets injured you just cook him on the 60-day DL and roid up his ratings. IMO it's a risk. But the consensus seems to like the LF anyway.

Nailed it.

my guys get the sniffles and my team of mad scientists haul them off on the 60 day DL.

this guy

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=5662605

is about 10-15 points higher in the important categories then he was after 4 years playing for my farm teams.
6/8/2017 3:47 PM (edited)
Posted by damag on 6/8/2017 3:29:00 PM (view original):

I am also an injury-addict. Player Profile: Omar Flores... Call it 'roids, call it drinking the California tea, acupuncture, homeopathic balm, kobe massage like how the Japanese to do their cows.... call it whatever you want. Find me a guy with >90 makeup and <75 health, give me a 3-day injury like hangnail and I'm juicing his brains out.

Over the span of 2 DL trips Player Profile: Esmerling Martin went from "objectively bad" (in S26 was 75 OVR with red ratings of 84/79-46-60/93-82/91-75-37-43-48, ERA/WHIP 4.51/1.37 W-L 13-14) to "objectively All-Star" (S31 78 OVR with red ratings of 89/87-51-63/95-85/94-76-40-46-51, ERA/WHIP 3.15/1.23 W-L 12-6).

Over the span of 2 DL trips Player Profile: Ubaldo Flores went from "objectively All-Star" (S33 79 OVR, 67/89-85-86/47-26/75-82-51, ERA/WHIP 3.95/1.07 W-L 4-4) to "objectively 1st-ballot Hall of Fame" (S37 84 OVR, 67/96-91-92/47-26/77-84-54, ERA/WHIP 2.49/1.11 W-L 18-3)

It's comical that even a torn labrum is no sweat-- Player Profile: Robin Pillette 82 OVR pre-injury, already back to 80 OVR by rollover, plus eligible for extra spring-training DL time
6/8/2017 3:52 PM
@hockey- Player Profile: Jair Sanchez must own stock in those iron whirlpool tubs. That might be a record number of dl trips and days on DL, bravo my friend
6/8/2017 3:55 PM
So you guys will take a 30+ year old player who is on a ML deal and send him away for 60 days on injury that is minor?
6/8/2017 4:39 PM
Posted by willsauve on 6/8/2017 4:39:00 PM (view original):
So you guys will take a 30+ year old player who is on a ML deal and send him away for 60 days on injury that is minor?
Easily. 90% of my seasons are

A) I'm not in the running for a playoff spot
B) I can make the playoffs without em but want em for the first round.

Only if I'm in a tight race will I 15 day DL em or not DL em at all.
6/8/2017 4:41 PM
Absolutely.

Obviously the injury has to be a good one (arm/elbow/shoulder/forearm for pitchers, minor back injury to power hitters, stiff groin for speed guys, etc). If a pitcher gets a groin injury, they'll maybe get dur and inj and stam, but they won't get a talent boost so I usually pass.

Exceptions are when there are fewer than 60 cycles in the regular season, I need to decide whether there is actually enough time to get 2 bumps, whether it makes a difference towards making/missing the playoffs, etc.

I use my ML players at the beginning of ST actively hoping that somebody gets injured on the first day, so that I can realize a full 60-day DL trip with only 30 ML cycles or whatever (with so many off-days at the beginning that's only ~25 ML games)
6/8/2017 5:48 PM (edited)
....another exception might be if the player is in a contract year. If he wants to leave, I might ignore the injury so that I can get the playing time. Alternatively, if the injury recovery makes the difference between type A and type B, I'll just take the injury recovery.

Related to this, a fun trick is when a guy is in a contract year, (ie Player Profile: Jesus Astacio in S20 and Player Profile: Ubaldo Flores in S37), re-sign them long-term they get hurt (aka at a lower OVR lol) so that you get a discount on their demands. IIRC Astacio dropped from 80 OVR to 79 OVR so I re-signed him long-term at the 79 OVR price and was able to get long-term 82 OVR production at a big discount. Same for Flores, injury momentarily took him from 82 OVR to 81 OVR, so I signed him at the 81 OVR price and he boosted back up to 84 OVR and delivered max-contract production lol.

You guys are lucky I'm a man of the people, sharing all these nuggets of wisdom with you like this
6/8/2017 6:03 PM (edited)
Ok... Well I've made up my mind who is going ahead of whom. I'll let you guys know how it works out and what their current ratings are after the draft. Also, I just took a highly touted prospect with a 4 day injury and stuck him on the 60-day DL. Bruised hand means he's out for the season.

Saul Gonzalez
6/9/2017 9:01 AM
Posted by jimmystick on 6/9/2017 9:02:00 AM (view original):
Ok... Well I've made up my mind who is going ahead of whom. I'll let you guys know how it works out and what their current ratings are after the draft. Also, I just took a highly touted prospect with a 4 day injury and stuck him on the 60-day DL. Bruised hand means he's out for the season.

Saul Gonzalez
That'll be a good injury for him. He'll get two bumps, each one should be +1/+2 aka +2/+4 total on AS and/or AA (sometimes it's actually 0 because it can depend on whether his "right hand" or "left hand" is the bruised hand... as stupid as that sounds); +2/+4 total on Dur and Health which are valuable because he can play more games per season and get injured slightly less frequently in the future; and he's probably getting +2/+4 total on contact AND power which are valuable given his skill set. His pro years = 3 so he is at the tail end of his primary development so these medical boosts will be a reasonable substitute. Last comment I have is that you're 18-32 so he's not out for the season, but maybe you were just chuckling at the concept that a bruised hand could be so devastating from a man-games perspective
6/9/2017 12:24 PM
I've been aware of the injury bug for years but never experimented with taking advantage of it before. I'm not sure what you meant by your last comment. I thought that in order to get all those boosts you have to leave the guy on the 60-day DL for hte entire season and all through the spring training next season then activate him. Isn't that what I'm "supposed" to do? He's already eligible to be removed but I'm keeping him on there. Also I'm not sure what my ML record has to do with it because this guy plays in AA.
6/9/2017 12:42 PM
Nope. Keep him on the DL until he says 'regular' on his ratings. As long as he keeps saying 'recovery' keep him on the DL. But it won't be the whole season.
6/9/2017 3:25 PM
@hockey- You don't need to wait for "regular season". You know you're getting 2 and only 2 injury recovery cycles for bruised hand. One happens after about 3 cycles, the other happens after about 40 cycles. You can remove him from the 60-day as soon as it expires. Conversely, sometimes you don't get the first boost until day 20 and the second boost until day 70. In that instance you have to cook him the extra 10 days to get the second boost, and then you remove him immediately after 70. Because you've already invested 60 you definitely need to invest the final 10. But you definitely don't need to keep waiting for the next "regular season" just to be sure, because you're only getting 2 boosts.

There are exceptions for the super-long-term injuries like shoulder aneurysm or Torn ACL. You get like 6 boosts for shoulder aneurysm but it's a 300 day injury not a 2 day injury
6/9/2017 4:40 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 6/8/2017 3:55:00 PM (view original):
@hockey- Player Profile: Jair Sanchez must own stock in those iron whirlpool tubs. That might be a record number of dl trips and days on DL, bravo my friend
Pssst- Check out Sanchez now. 300 innings a year and will probably never walk another batter for the rest of his career.
6/10/2017 2:42 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Which player? (UPDATED - Post-draft) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.