"Not a battle" battle Topic

No, same division. I think he poured a lot more in early. We came out the gate Moderate/Very High with both offering scholarships.

And I'm hedging my bets some too. Already signed an ineligible for my FB offense. Not sure how it would work with just 10 plus a walk-on.
6/9/2017 5:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/9/2017 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Following up on this, and it's sort of morals question, if you're in this situation at Very High would the prospect recognize promised minutes and start even if the school had no schollies? And would doing that to keep the kid from signing be frowned upon by the HD community?

Certainly not accusing the other user of shenanigans, he seems to be a highly respected, stand up guy around here. But I might do it in the future if it's not considered bad form. After all, maybe he'd have a leg up next season on the guy.
Speaking personally, I offer starts and minutes to players that I don't really want to sign. For me it's a fall-back plan when I have a Late or Whenever kid that I'm in a battle for who is taking his damn sweet time in deciding where to go to college. For me it's a cheap way of minimizing the chances that my Plan B doesn't get grabbed while Plan A is making up his mind. I'm not doing it to be a dick -- I'm avoiding getting in a position where all quality backup options are exhausted when I find out I've lost a horse race for my primary option.

If the intent was to simply tie up a really good player so that nobody else could sign them, then, yeah, probably a jerk move. But given the mechanics of the game, there are plenty of valid strategic reasons to act in that manner.

It absolutely isn't a situation that would occur in real life. But within the flawed world that is the game, I have no trouble with it at all.
6/9/2017 5:52 PM
Well here's why I don't think it's a big deal.

He can keep you to Moderate and out of signing range. But once the 2nd session ends, the player will sign with the highest interest team who has an offer and opening. So if the top team doesn't have an opening it goes to the other guy.

So yeah, it makes your life more difficult but it doesn't prevent you from getting the player ultimately.
6/9/2017 5:56 PM
rednu, I can recall more than once in real life when Kentucky was still trying to sign a top prospect without any apparent openings. Something always seemed to open up. I'm actually recruiting right now with no apparent openings. I just took over a squad and it didn't have one player qualified to be at that level. I only had 3 openings which I filled with early signees. I specifically chose others who were late preference and/or being courted by lower level teams. This will give me time to cut players and try to bump the lower division teams down before they can sign. I'm really hoping to get 5-7 recruits this year. I did the same at a DIII school recently as well. Signed 7 guys with only 4 original openings. They may not be All Americans, but as FR they are better than what I have or had at the time. It also should set me up for a big class when they leave and my prestige is much higher. This is my typical move when taking over a team.
6/9/2017 6:12 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 6/9/2017 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/9/2017 12:26:00 PM (view original):
But the possibility exists that, even if I get to high, he may not sign?
hmm I don't think so anymore, If I remember correctly 2.0 logic recruits could choose to not sign and show up next season as JUCOs (due to the dropdown/pulldown logic). But I have yet to see a case where a school was at High or Very high and the recruit went JUCO.

In theory since dropdowns and pulldowns do not exist then a recruit logically will sign at a school if his interest is high enough.
I have seen a few guys considering a sim at High or Very High, but they showed up the following season as a 3-yr eligible JUCO still considering the school. Not sure whether the sim offered a scholarship or not.
6/9/2017 10:28 PM
Well, I was held off long enough that a D1 team jumped in and got him.
6/10/2017 7:26 AM
Yeah - that was me at Very High. I was super torn about whether or not to cut a player to sign this guy. He was a good player for the future. But I only had one guy I could cut that had been signed by a Sim. He was a senior center with only 44 Ath and 58 Def. But he was 100 Reb. I was also afraid if I did pull the trigger and cut him that a D1 team might swoop in on that cycle and get the player I was after. So, I just left it like it was in case I changed my mind. Originally I had 3 openings and had 5 scholarships out there (D2 Kennesaw State). This was the player I was most interested in, but in the first cycle I filled all 3 scholarships. I had hoped that only two would fill, and then I could be sure it still looked like I would sign this guy, and I would rescind the offers on the other two. I was afraid to rescind at the beginning of signings because once you rescind, they totally lose interest, and you have to unlock them again. Sorry about that Mike.
6/11/2017 10:49 AM
Nothing to be sorry about. It's the game.

6/11/2017 11:25 AM
For cubcub. Not foolproof.
6/20/2017 1:30 PM
Why didn't you just max out and knock him down from VH?
6/20/2017 2:11 PM
Why do you think I didn't max out?
6/20/2017 2:19 PM
I have no idea why you do the things you do
6/20/2017 2:33 PM
Re-phrase for benis... what makes you think he didn't max out? Especially since he said he offered 20 HVs and a CV in the other thread.
6/20/2017 2:35 PM
Then don't ask stupid questions.
6/20/2017 2:36 PM
Benis, if your insults were farts, they would be unobtrusive wafters, without the dignity of being offensive. People would just be wondering if someone, somewhere meant for this to happen.
6/20/2017 2:38 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
"Not a battle" battle Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.