Future HOFer? Topic

Until they let Rose and Bonds in what's the point of having a HOF? Ty Cobb was a horrible racist, All the 70's guys were on amphetamines and I can go on and on. They set the records. They BELONG there, regardless of the off-the-field crap. And I didn't feel this way a year ago. It's just seeing the shine come off the HOF has been downright depressing.
6/21/2017 10:37 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/20/2017 11:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seanpatrick on 6/20/2017 6:45:00 PM (view original):
Madlock and Munson should be in. Munsons exclusion mystifying in that he was heart and soul of late seventies Yankees with numbers quite comparable to other HoF catchers.
Munson was my favorite player as a kid, and is still one of my all time favorites.

He was not a Hall of Famer, and it's ridiculous to say that he should be.
Munson was always one of my favorites too, but he doesn't belong in the Hall. If his career hadn't tragically been cut short who knows?
6/21/2017 12:26 PM
The shine has been off the HOF since they let Carlton Fisk in. They then kicked dirt on it with Kirby Puckett.
6/21/2017 12:49 PM
Don't forget Bert Blyleven, Jim Rice and Andre Dawson. More good but not HOF-worthy players who have been let in.
6/21/2017 1:02 PM
There have been plenty. Fisk was the worst first in my lifetime that came to mind. Puckett pretty much shut it down.
6/21/2017 1:04 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/20/2017 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seanpatrick on 6/20/2017 6:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 6/12/2017 9:20:00 AM (view original):
There's a lot of discussion in the baseball community as to whether these are stats worthy of a HOFer...

18yr career, .312/.418/.515, 2247 Hits, 514 Doubles, 309 HR, 1261 RBI, 7x All-Star, 5x Silver Slugger, 2x Batting champ
Like it or not designated hitter is a position in baseball. Were it not greats like Martinez and Ortiz would've been been fulltime first basemen and would've put up the same awesome numbers.
DH may be a "position", but it's only half of one. Sitting on the bench while your teammates play defense does not bring you to the same level.

It's like trying to equate kickers with quarterbacks in the NFL. Just because kickers may score the most points on their respective teams, that doesn't make them as or more important than quarterbacks.
The flaw in this argument is people will advocate hard for a ****** fielder with a monster bat to get into the HOF, but a great hitter who doesn't hurt his team with his defense is suddenly unworthy?

If there was no DH, Edgar would have played the field and would have continued to be a ****** 3B or mediocre 1B, and everyone saying he shouldn't be in would suddenly be his biggest champion. Which is stupid. You shouldn't get bonus points for taking the field every game if your defense was detrimental to your team.
6/21/2017 1:53 PM
CORRECT ALL ALONG.

PETER H. ROSE OR NO ONE!
6/21/2017 1:57 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/21/2017 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Don't forget Bert Blyleven, Jim Rice and Andre Dawson. More good but not HOF-worthy players who have been let in.
^^
6/22/2017 3:10 AM
Posted by sjpoker on 6/22/2017 3:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/21/2017 1:02:00 PM (view original):
^^
This is why HOF eligibility should be cut to like 5 years. It shouldn't take 10-15 years of outside influence for a voter to become convinced someone is HOF worthy.

Also, it seems the further a player gets from their playing days, the more likely they are to up their vote total. If they weren't deemed a HOFer back then, by those who watched and covered them regularly, why are they suddenly now? Voters today just want to prove how much more enlightened they are than the past generation.
6/22/2017 12:03 PM
Aside from being a Yankees fan, I don't see how you could possibly think Carlton Fisk doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.
6/22/2017 12:24 PM
First, yeah, that plays a part.
Second, I get lowering the bar for catchers but how low must one go?
Third, you know I'm a "small hall" guy. I don't think he's in the same class as Berra/Benchl.
6/22/2017 1:06 PM
Puckett is a much worse HofFamer than Fisk. I think Mike is letting his Red Sux hatred influence his view, which is understandable. I hate them too. Fisk being in doesn't bother me as much as Jim Rice being in does.
6/22/2017 1:39 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 6/21/2017 10:37:00 AM (view original):
Until they let Rose and Bonds in what's the point of having a HOF? Ty Cobb was a horrible racist, All the 70's guys were on amphetamines and I can go on and on. They set the records. They BELONG there, regardless of the off-the-field crap. And I didn't feel this way a year ago. It's just seeing the shine come off the HOF has been downright depressing.
Actually, a lot of that stuff about Cobb was made up. Cobb wanted to write an autobiography at the end of his life, but he became to old to write, or something along those lines. Anyways, he ended up hiring someone to help him write his book. That guy ended up making up a bunch of stories to make the book more interesting.

1. Cobb was a horrible racist.

“People just assumed that because he was born in the deep South he had to be racist,” says Leerhsen. “In fact, he descends from a long line of abolitionists. His great-grandfather was a preacher who preached against slavery and was run out of town. His grandfather refused to fight in the Confederate Army because of the slavery issue. His father was a professor and state senator who spoke up for his black constituents and once broke up a lynch mob in town. Unlike most of his contemporaries, Cobb had for years supported the integration of baseball. In 1952 Cobb he told the Sporting News: ‘The negro has the right to compete in sports and who’s to say he is not.’

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/10/09/detroit-tigers-ty-cobb/91736946/

6/22/2017 2:35 PM (edited)
Blyleven getting in was a nice joke too.
6/22/2017 2:26 PM
Bruce Sutter is the worst selection ever and I love closers!!
6/24/2017 5:50 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...25 Next ▸
Future HOFer? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.