Tark Population Topic

Or, as many others have said before, the people who play 2-a-day worlds tend to want to move up quickly. I don't play in tark, but Phelan sports a *very* healthy D1, especially in the Big 6 conferences.

Its a sign of health, IMO, when D1 is outperforming the lower divisions. It means people are moving up, and not parking.
6/14/2017 9:37 PM
LOL
6/14/2017 9:56 PM
My assumption is there are 8 recruiting cycles in 2 a days. Checking every 3 hours is a job.
6/14/2017 10:01 PM
Incorrect
6/14/2017 10:20 PM
Well, maybe people should know that and you wouldn't have 125 in D2/D3.
6/14/2017 10:26 PM
Uh huh
6/14/2017 10:31 PM
If I'm WIS, I want coaches to move up. I don't want people parking in the lowest division that only exists so new players have a place to learn the mechanics of the game. So you bet I look at a much fuller D1 as a positive. Based on the numbers given at the outset, around 240 people are playing in Tark, nearly half are in D1. Brilliant! That's where you want the game to be strong and competitive.

Its absolutely insane to me that they are still doling out credits at D3. I mean, I understand why, because of the prison riot attrition it would cause so close to the 3.0 rollout. But it's a disaster of a business plan to start with. If someone brings this kind of model to a major developer as a new game - stratified well past demand, with equivalent incentives at each level - I would expect them to get laughed out of the room.

6/15/2017 12:34 AM
If I'm WIS, I want a paying customer at every school in every level because it generates maximum revenue. You want the game to be strong and competitive at all three levels, not just DI. That is a fine business plan.
6/15/2017 3:41 AM
Boss: "So how's the HD business doing?"
Programmer: "Oh it's great! Very strong. Very healthy. Great signs all around!"
Boss: "Fantastic! Give me some numbers"
Programmer:"Well... last year we had 320 users and made $4,200. Last month we had 265 users and made $3,500. Now we have 240 users and are making $3,100.
Boss: "Get out of my office you idiot"
6/15/2017 7:06 AM
Posted by Benis on 6/15/2017 7:06:00 AM (view original):
Boss: "So how's the HD business doing?"
Programmer: "Oh it's great! Very strong. Very healthy. Great signs all around!"
Boss: "Fantastic! Give me some numbers"
Programmer:"Well... last year we had 320 users and made $4,200. Last month we had 265 users and made $3,500. Now we have 240 users and are making $3,100.
Boss: "Get out of my office you idiot"
Did you miss the new game part, benis? Or just couldn't pass up an opportunity to mischaracterize and obfuscate?

No world is ever going to stay full at any level, much less all 3 levels. Few people are actually going to enjoy playing an HD-style commodities game in a saturated environment, and most past a certain % will drop out. That's the reality.
6/15/2017 8:38 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 6/15/2017 3:41:00 AM (view original):
If I'm WIS, I want a paying customer at every school in every level because it generates maximum revenue. You want the game to be strong and competitive at all three levels, not just DI. That is a fine business plan.
That's not realistic at all. That's the business plan of a startup who plans to cash out before attrition sets in. New players aren't going to put up with a waiting list, followed by initiation into a saturated world where they are competing with coaches who have been making the national tournament for 50 years straight.
6/15/2017 8:43 AM
LOL!! Good one Shoe.

Tark D1 hasn't had less than 100 teams at D1 since Season 10. From seasons 100-115 it averaged 147 teams. Now we're at 111.
Tark D2 went from Season 2 until Season 120 until it dipped under 100 team. Now we're at 65.

Yes, it's unrealistic for me or anyone else to expect that D1 and D2 can have at least 100 teams. It only happened for over 100 straight seasons...

Going from maintaining over 100 D2 users for 100 seasons to 65 D2 users while not increasing the number of D1 users is a great sign of health.

LOL!!!
6/15/2017 8:52 AM
Well, you're kind of ignoring the mass exodus of multi-team users when the new game was rolled out. The way advancement is set up, and the nature of sim game players anyway, the ideal situation is probably about 125/100/100 with at least 35 of that last 100 being new users "giving it a try". I do think, if they tweaked it so you could reach D1 in 3 seasons, fewer people would bail after 2-3 seasons.
6/15/2017 9:02 AM
And what about the Mass influx of people who joined when they actually attempted to advertise a little bit? Where are those people now?

Here, I'll say it again

"I don't think numbers like these indicate that people necessarily like D1 better than D2 or D3. I think they indicate that 3.0 is doing a very poor job of attracting and retaining new users."

I think D2 is being affected by the attrition just like D3 is. 65 D2 users... WOW.
6/15/2017 9:08 AM
It's not realistic to think a new user is going to have 6 teams in the first year. They won't. But the idea should be to get them in, get them started and get them motivated to stay. The current set-up doesn't really motivate anyone to stay. There's a 50/50 chance you get a bad team and have no idea what you're doing. 7-20 isn't a real motivator to renew. But, you re-up and maybe move to D2. You pick a better team and, with more knowledge, have more success. Then you find out, if you can repeat that success for 3-4 more seasons, you can have a bottom-feeder D1. Ugh.
6/15/2017 9:15 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...13 Next ▸
Tark Population Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.