Cool recruiting tool idea Topic

I have an idea that will never be implemented but I think it would be cool.

Take all of the recruits in a search, and instead of seeing them on a list, put them on a map as pins, so you can see in reality where they all are. That way you can match the area where you have the best distance advantage with the recruits you target. This would be helpful for schools in big states like California and Texas, because the recruit could be anywhere in that big area and you can't tell whether the recruit is closer to you than your opponent or farther.

This is could be well complemented with the school maps that were on here a while ago, or that could be an added feature, where you could add a specific school to see where the recruit lines up.

Just an idea that will go nowhere. I would like to try to recruit Northern California with my new CSU Eastbay team, because all of the other schools in California are far away from me in Southern California, but I realized that finding out where the recruit is would be a long and lengthy task because I would have to look each school up on the internet to see where they actually are.
6/12/2017 11:07 AM
I see what you are saying. I used google maps last recruiting period to see how far a recruit was from other schools recruiting him. He wanted to play close to home so this let me know I had a strong chance to sign him over the other schools
6/12/2017 2:33 PM
I work a lot in Power BI, and I already use something like this with my recruiting spreadsheets. If you have a new enough version of excel there are map widgets that you could use to do this for you - I would highly recommend looking into it. Being able to copy/paste and see how much closer I am to a recruit than someone else going after him shaves a lot of time off of my recruiting process.
6/12/2017 3:48 PM
I've gone online and found a site where you can input a location and it calculates straight line distance from the point to any other location you input...I use it to get the distance to the school(s) I'm up against to figure out if I have an edge on distance-based preferences (and in some cases whether they'll trigger at all for my opponent).
6/12/2017 4:10 PM
This could be automated... if you were able to pull every recruits data.
6/12/2017 6:17 PM
I think that would be awesome Monster.
6/12/2017 6:53 PM
I see there are ways to find out stuff for a single recruit, but it is still somewhat time consuming because you have to input all of the data into another place. What I am invisioning is a map with all of the recruits, and you can zoom in on a part of the map just like google maps, and see all of the players as pins, and you can click on them to see their profile. Because, what I want to try to do it recruit an area, so it would be really helpful to see all of the recruits in that specific area.
6/12/2017 9:31 PM
Can you set up a link in google earth if you "click" on a pin where it takes you?

if so you could build an app like this in Google Earth where you see all the pins and click on them and it opens the recruits page.
6/13/2017 11:11 AM
I don't know, not so sure on this. I would rather see a coach put time and effort into doing their homework when it comes to this part of recruiting. It makes it too easy. I'm sure I'm probably in the minority.
6/13/2017 3:24 PM
FWIW, I would never do this. Seems like it sucks the fun right out of the game. But, if it were as simple as a click of a button, I would. Making it easier takes the advantage away from someone willing to put in the work.
6/13/2017 5:03 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 6/13/2017 3:24:00 PM (view original):
I don't know, not so sure on this. I would rather see a coach put time and effort into doing their homework when it comes to this part of recruiting. It makes it too easy. I'm sure I'm probably in the minority.
are you saying adding too many features makes it too easy?
6/13/2017 8:10 PM
seems like someone did this is GD a few years ago using Google maps. Listed every school by division
6/13/2017 8:25 PM
I don't think making it less time consuming means making the game easier, just less mind numbing and boring.
6/13/2017 11:24 PM
It makes the game easier because some, if not many, don't check miles now because that is mind-numbing and boring.
6/13/2017 11:40 PM
But what if you're developing the tools to do this analysis yourself?
6/13/2017 11:53 PM
12 Next ▸
Cool recruiting tool idea Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.