Jobs - Why can't I get a DII job? Topic

So I know I'm new to the game. I'm going in to my 5th season as a DIII coach. But I just applied for 3 different DII jobs and all three were declined.

I would understand if i if I didn't get the jobs bc my resume wasn't the best, but on my last application, I was beat out by an inferior candidate by far.

My resume:
4 years coaching at DIII
3 straight years ranked in top 25
3 straight conference championships
1 conference tourney championship
1 conf coach of the year
3 straight NT appearances
1 Sweet 16
2 second round
3 straight top 5 recruiting classes
3 years with same team
73% win pct

His resume:
4 years coaching- 1 DIII and 3 DII
Hasn't coached in 5 seasons
61% win pct
3 teams in 4 years.
2 conf championships
2 conf tourney championships
1 conf COY

Open to suggestions...
6/14/2017 12:44 AM
Any division 2 experience will ALMOST ALWAYS beat out ANY experience you have from division III. My best guess is that a horrible div 2 coach would 99% of the time get a job over ANY division 3 coach. Regardless of experience. Not saying it's right. Just saying that's how it is.
6/14/2017 2:23 AM
Posted by Arfy on 6/14/2017 2:23:00 AM (view original):
Any division 2 experience will ALMOST ALWAYS beat out ANY experience you have from division III. My best guess is that a horrible div 2 coach would 99% of the time get a job over ANY division 3 coach. Regardless of experience. Not saying it's right. Just saying that's how it is.
This is what I think as well. Since the higher division has an advantage in recruiting, it stands to reason the same advantage exists in jobs.
6/14/2017 4:26 AM
unless DII is suddenly very full in your world, you should be able to land a job - but perhaps not a highly attractive job where a great returning roster will attract strong competition from other coaches. If the jobs process is still open, try again
6/14/2017 6:21 AM
Get to another D2. Move to Florida, Texas or Cal if you want a faster rebuild.
6/14/2017 7:31 AM
Posted by metsmax on 6/14/2017 6:21:00 AM (view original):
unless DII is suddenly very full in your world, you should be able to land a job - but perhaps not a highly attractive job where a great returning roster will attract strong competition from other coaches. If the jobs process is still open, try again
On this note, if your ultimate goal is to work your way up to D1 do you guys think it is better to stay in D3 until you get a desirable D2 job or just do the 1 year at D3 and then start a D2 rebuild? I have probably applied to the same D2 jobs as OP in Phelan and have gotten turned down as well.
6/14/2017 8:30 AM
If you're willing to wait a season, I plan on jumping from SW Baptist in Phelan after this upcoming season and whoever takes them over will be in really good shape.
6/14/2017 8:46 AM
Posted by mbriese on 6/14/2017 8:46:00 AM (view original):
If you're willing to wait a season, I plan on jumping from SW Baptist in Phelan after this upcoming season and whoever takes them over will be in really good shape.
There were a couple of good jobs that came open this season that I applied for and others got them. I appreciate the info but I'm starting to wonder if it may be some time before I can even get a job like that.
6/14/2017 8:54 AM
You are apparently just getting beaten by coaches with more experience. I agree this process is frustrating. This is more of a problem in the 2-a-day worlds, that gear themselves toward people who want to move up quickly - you'll see the same issue at each level in those worlds, you're more likely to be competing with applicants for the prime jobs at each level than you are in 1-a-day worlds.

Hang in there. You'll get one. Or hang out in D3 for a couple more seasons, get another Sweet 16 or 2, and you can go straight to low D1.
6/14/2017 9:00 AM
Posted by pkoopman on 6/14/2017 9:00:00 AM (view original):
You are apparently just getting beaten by coaches with more experience. I agree this process is frustrating. This is more of a problem in the 2-a-day worlds, that gear themselves toward people who want to move up quickly - you'll see the same issue at each level in those worlds, you're more likely to be competing with applicants for the prime jobs at each level than you are in 1-a-day worlds.

Hang in there. You'll get one. Or hang out in D3 for a couple more seasons, get another Sweet 16 or 2, and you can go straight to low D1.
Makes sense. I will probably just hang out in D3 for another season or two and hopefully will get a ready made D2 job. Thanks for the input fellas.
6/14/2017 9:18 AM
I just jumped up to D1 in Phelan and my D2 team got snatched up immediately. Must be a lot of people looking to grab D2 teams that are ready to compete, as opposed to starting a rebuild at that level.
6/14/2017 10:28 AM
Posted by slayterhill on 6/14/2017 10:28:00 AM (view original):
I just jumped up to D1 in Phelan and my D2 team got snatched up immediately. Must be a lot of people looking to grab D2 teams that are ready to compete, as opposed to starting a rebuild at that level.
I applied for your Lane team and was disappointed when I didn't get it. You had it set up very nicely.
6/14/2017 10:48 AM
Posted by tgblackw on 6/14/2017 10:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by slayterhill on 6/14/2017 10:28:00 AM (view original):
I applied for your Lane team and was disappointed when I didn't get it. You had it set up very nicely.
Ha, thanks. It was hard to leave that Lane squad for a total rebuild in D1. They should be set up for a nice NT run this season. Bummer you couldn't grab them.
6/14/2017 3:08 PM
I appreciate the responses to this post. I am actually set up nicely in my D3 school for the next few years. If staying at my D3 job and moving straight to a D1 rebuild is possible then that may be the road that I take. What would it take to skip D2 and go straight to the one? That would actually be my preferred route to take. Again thank you all for the responses and input !
6/14/2017 4:16 PM
DEY TOOK OUR JERBS!
6/14/2017 5:40 PM
12 Next ▸
Jobs - Why can't I get a DII job? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.