Which DIII PG to start? Topic

Conference Tournament time in Smith World for a my Arcadia (DIII) team... I've tried two different PGs this season, and now I'm debating which one to use for the remainder of the season:

A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT TOT OFF (Tri) DEF (Man)
Paul Page 71 82 11 61 8 14 42 83 75 66 87 51 B- 651 A+ A+
David Gilmore 74 68 9 88 2 18 66 54 73 51 80 74 C- 657 A- A-

I'm torn because although Paul Page has higher SPD, he has much lower DE; although he has much lower PE, he has much higher BH. And how much of a difference does A+ vs A- IQs make?

GP GS MIN FG% FG3% FT% OREB REB AST TO STL BLK PF PTS
Paul Page 28 12 18.5 .500 .000 .610 0.5 1.9 3.7 1.1 1.2 0.1 1.7 7.2
David Gilmore 28 20 21.6 .419 1.000 .660 0.7 2.4 5.5 1.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 3.1

Looking at their performance this season, regardless of their ratings, Page had a much better FG%, but Gilmore had almost two more assists per game more than Page. And although Page had slightly more steals, he had nearly double the fouls.

Any thoughts or advice?
6/15/2017 2:14 PM (edited)
I'd go with Page. At 61, his defense is still nice for DIII (and his speed makes up a bit for the defense difference with Gilmore.) And that BH/P is really nice for your level.

No question to me.
6/15/2017 10:32 AM
Page. He has the higher BH and that's who I want taking the ball up the court. Although his D is lower, its still beastly for DIII! Both of these players are great defenders. Neither of these guys will be leading the team in scoring but both of them will create the passing for assists to set up points for a stud with high LP or PER. That's my opinion, love to see what the more experience coaches think.
6/15/2017 10:34 AM
Damn, you have a real good team! Nice job!

Honestly you can even have Murray as PG too. I think you need to get him more minutes actually. If you don't want him to start at SG, I'd put him at SF over Pierce. He's giving up a little bit of Rebounding and Per but he's better in literally every other rating including IQ.
6/15/2017 10:47 AM
How did you paste those tables and get them to look so good? Whenever I try to do it, it always looks like crap.
6/15/2017 10:50 AM
Posted by Benis on 6/15/2017 10:50:00 AM (view original):
How did you paste those tables and get them to look so good? Whenever I try to do it, it always looks like crap.
I copy/pasted into Excel first, then copy/pasted into the browser. ¯\_(°-°)_/¯
6/15/2017 2:01 PM (edited)
Posted by pallas on 6/15/2017 10:32:00 AM (view original):
I'd go with Page. At 61, his defense is still nice for DIII (and his speed makes up a bit for the defense difference with Gilmore.) And that BH/P is really nice for your level.

No question to me.
Thanks. That was my gut feeling.... but Gilmore getting about two more assists per game made me question it.
6/15/2017 2:03 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/15/2017 10:47:00 AM (view original):

Honestly you can even have Murray as PG too. I think you need to get him more minutes actually. If you don't want him to start at SG, I'd put him at SF over Pierce. He's giving up a little bit of Rebounding and Per but he's better in literally every other rating including IQ.
Thanks!

Don't worry about their starts and minutes (and, therefore, season averages) you see during the non-conference schedule. I use those games to get extra starts and minutes for mostly younger players and other guys who need WE boosts. Helps with improving their ratings and IQs over the long term, even though it's a pain to change the depth chart all the time. It's worth it to me, rather than letting my older, maxed-out players just pad their stats.
6/15/2017 2:13 PM
I'd say Murray at PG...

Anyone agree with me?
6/15/2017 4:12 PM
I think more than likely you go with Page. He has more speed and is a better point guard(BH,P). That's the guy leading your offense. I want the guy controlling my offense to be the best guy available. Most likely even though your other pg has a higher def rating, he's probably going to get beat out a lot because he is that much slower.
6/15/2017 4:35 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/15/2017 10:50:00 AM (view original):
That's the first thing I thought! I've literally tried to start threads and have ended up deleting them immediately because of how hard to read the tables were. I'll try the excel thing next time.
6/15/2017 5:34 PM
Posted by bdr127 on 6/15/2017 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 6/15/2017 10:47:00 AM (view original):

Thanks!

Don't worry about their starts and minutes (and, therefore, season averages) you see during the non-conference schedule. I use those games to get extra starts and minutes for mostly younger players and other guys who need WE boosts. Helps with improving their ratings and IQs over the long term, even though it's a pain to change the depth chart all the time. It's worth it to me, rather than letting my older, maxed-out players just pad their stats.
Ah okay. I was looking at your last game where he only got 9 min. He def should play a lot more in the NT IMO
6/15/2017 5:50 PM
One thing you should take into consideration is the number of fouls each PG is committing, especially when they are starting.

Page was averaging 2.6 fouls per game during his starts, though he was playing against slightly better competition, where as Gilmore has averaged 1.0 foul per game for the season in 21.6 MPG.It's not just the defensive FG% you should be worried about, but putting Page in as the starting PG, especially against better teams, will put your team into foul trouble and possibly a stamina disadvantage as well.

6/15/2017 6:28 PM
Which DIII PG to start? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.