Promise start - Please read Topic

games during the CT have "ALWAYS" been included in promises. Or more precisely, games up to the end of practices.
6/16/2017 5:08 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 6/16/2017 3:54:00 PM (view original):
After reading the CS ticket, it makes sense.

I think if you have a player that is complaining with a WE drop going into the conference tournament, then you will need to play him his guaranteed minutes.

However, after game 26 if he hasn't complained, then I'm guessing he's probably safe.
this is consistent with my experience and seems to fit what happened

two complaints is a definite signal that there is a problem - and you were at risk unless you fixed it with more starts after the second complaint - it came late in the season so the only time available to fix it was the CT

player complaints do not in my experience reflect detailed updated experience. The players seem to look at overall starts or minutes - perhaps with extra weight on recent games. Starts in a few recent games wont necessarily forestall that second complaint
6/16/2017 5:14 PM
By conference tournament time I usually know if my team is in the NT or not. Usually I will play a guy promised starts through the first two rounds of the conference tournament even if he has 22+ starts. It doesn't hurt and my thought is "I likely beat those teams with him in the lineup. Why can't I do it again?". In the conference semifinals you are hitting the best teams in the conference so I switch up my lineup to match up with those titans and the player may go to the bench if needed.

If I am not in the running for a NT that season I follow the same guidelines with the thought that "I am likely out of the conference tourney early so why not get the most starts for the guy". If I manage to make the semifinals maybe I bench the guy.
6/16/2017 6:00 PM
I haven't messed with failing to meet guaranteed minutes much, but I am confident that guaranteed starts only require 21 of 26 in the regular season AND that at no point does he drop below 80% start-to-RS game ratio. EVERY time I've followed that rule, the start promise has been met.

Houck did not start in game 5...no problem (that's 80%), but then he didn't start game 6...problem! After that, he also failed to start game 11 (8 of 11 is below 80% also!)...and game 12 (8 of 12 is only 66%...WAY UNDER!!!). That gives him every opportunity to quit. I haven't followed the minutes promise. If it was 15, then 14.8 should have been plenty. If it was 20, then he definitely should have quit!

Full disclosure...I like being contrarian, especially when I'm right. I think CS is full of ****. I think 3 games non-started in a row is not an issue (so long as you've complied with the 80% rule throughout the season). I think oldwarrior is also wrong....unless his comment is only limited to minutes promises. The only caveat I will make is that I have not done as much minutes missing as others. Maybe there's a combination effect to be considered, but I doubt it.
6/16/2017 6:41 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 6/16/2017 5:08:00 PM (view original):
games during the CT have "ALWAYS" been included in promises. Or more precisely, games up to the end of practices.
Maybe it's been a long-time forum fact, but I've always been under the impression not starting a guy in the CT can't hurt you, but starting him can help you [to meet unfulfilled promises].
6/16/2017 10:33 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 6/16/2017 10:33:00 PM (view original):
Maybe it's been a long-time forum fact, but I've always been under the impression not starting a guy in the CT can't hurt you, but starting him can help you [to meet unfulfilled promises].
This is what I've always done (along with the 80% at all times during the regular season) and I've never had a player transfer.
6/16/2017 11:04 PM
Good thread, would have helped me in my most recent season. Had a frosh PG I promised starts to, but brought him off the bench in non-conference as he learned our sets. Got 21 starts but transferred and it dropped my rep a full letter grade.
6/17/2017 1:01 AM
Posted by mrslam34 on 6/16/2017 11:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 6/16/2017 10:33:00 PM (view original):
This is what I've always done (along with the 80% at all times during the regular season) and I've never had a player transfer.
This is what I believe. I have Promised starts on well over 20+ kept to the 80% in season (never dropping below 75%).
Almost every time putting the freshman to the bench and not starting in the CT and have never lost a player.
So starting him in CT may help but sitting him if you met the promised does not hurt you.
6/18/2017 12:32 PM
I had never understood that you had to remain at or above 80% - just that the player needed to be above 80% by CT time. CS never stated that but I'll follow it as a rule now to keep the promise.
6/18/2017 5:23 PM
Posted by rogelio on 6/16/2017 6:42:00 PM (view original):
I haven't messed with failing to meet guaranteed minutes much, but I am confident that guaranteed starts only require 21 of 26 in the regular season AND that at no point does he drop below 80% start-to-RS game ratio. EVERY time I've followed that rule, the start promise has been met.

Houck did not start in game 5...no problem (that's 80%), but then he didn't start game 6...problem! After that, he also failed to start game 11 (8 of 11 is below 80% also!)...and game 12 (8 of 12 is only 66%...WAY UNDER!!!). That gives him every opportunity to quit. I haven't followed the minutes promise. If it was 15, then 14.8 should have been plenty. If it was 20, then he definitely should have quit!

Full disclosure...I like being contrarian, especially when I'm right. I think CS is full of ****. I think 3 games non-started in a row is not an issue (so long as you've complied with the 80% rule throughout the season). I think oldwarrior is also wrong....unless his comment is only limited to minutes promises. The only caveat I will make is that I have not done as much minutes missing as others. Maybe there's a combination effect to be considered, but I doubt it.
I respect Oldwarrior and both his viewpoints and opinions on the game but I have to side with Rogelio against him this time. I've played a lot of seasons in this game and I have never had a player quit if I had met all of the promises by the beginning of the CT. Not one time. To be honest, I'm not sure that playing him in those games "helps" either. The original Admin, who also happened to be the guy who created the game, flat out told us that CT games did not count towards promises. Probably no way to ever dig that ancient quote up as it is years old by now, but I know what I read and it's never failed me yet. Just one guy's two cents, take it for what it's worth (which incidentally isn't even worth two cents. Inflation man, it's a killer)!
6/19/2017 1:47 AM
I've found the 80% rule to be a good guideline. I always try to put my better players in for big games when I can so usually the guy with the promise sits 2-4 games a season and almost never starts in the CT.

Btw, yesterday I realized that I had promised a start to a player on my Felician team. Totally forgot about it. He didn't start the first 6 games of the season. No email or WE drop yet...
6/19/2017 7:36 AM
Posted by Benis on 6/19/2017 7:36:00 AM (view original):
I've found the 80% rule to be a good guideline. I always try to put my better players in for big games when I can so usually the guy with the promise sits 2-4 games a season and almost never starts in the CT.

Btw, yesterday I realized that I had promised a start to a player on my Felician team. Totally forgot about it. He didn't start the first 6 games of the season. No email or WE drop yet...
Update.

This guy that I promised a Start to has now started 2 out of 8 games and his WE just went UP 1 point. Very strange...
6/19/2017 2:32 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/19/2017 2:32:00 PM (view original):

Update.

This guy that I promised a Start to has now started 2 out of 8 games and his WE just went UP 1 point. Very strange...
Just noticed that this guy is from Kiev, Ukraine. So that might explain some things. He's probably just happy he's not freezing his nuggets off over there.
6/19/2017 2:34 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 6/19/2017 1:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rogelio on 6/16/2017 6:42:00 PM (view original):

I respect Oldwarrior and both his viewpoints and opinions on the game but I have to side with Rogelio against him this time. I've played a lot of seasons in this game and I have never had a player quit if I had met all of the promises by the beginning of the CT. Not one time. To be honest, I'm not sure that playing him in those games "helps" either. The original Admin, who also happened to be the guy who created the game, flat out told us that CT games did not count towards promises. Probably no way to ever dig that ancient quote up as it is years old by now, but I know what I read and it's never failed me yet. Just one guy's two cents, take it for what it's worth (which incidentally isn't even worth two cents. Inflation man, it's a killer)!
Thanks Emy!
6/19/2017 2:57 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/19/2017 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 6/19/2017 2:32:00 PM (view original):

Update.

Just noticed that this guy is from Kiev, Ukraine. So that might explain some things. He's probably just happy he's not freezing his nuggets off over there.
He's started 5 out of 11 games and now his WE has gone up 2 points. I've had guys lose a lot of WE for this start % before.
6/21/2017 10:53 AM
◂ Prev 12
Promise start - Please read Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.