Thoughts on def Topic

Posted by cubcub113 on 6/19/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Indianajoinz on 6/19/2017 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Are zones more capable of controlling how a team scores perimeter/inside?? Unlike m2m witch focuses more on the ability of individual matchups a zone is more of a team matchup which you can can move out to guard the perimeter on sink in to stop the inside. That's why i want to play zone and hoping I can be successful with it in a league that is dominated by press and m2m.

3/2 team scores more inside and 2/3 scores on the perimeter.
This is a topic on defense . How does the defense a team runs relate to how they score on offense??
6/19/2017 1:37 PM
I don't think that's what he meant. But it's not accurate either.

3/2 combines PG/SG/SF and C/PF for defensive averages. 2/3 combine guards, forwards and center stands alone. So how they give up points is relative to the defensive strength of the groupings vs the offensive strength of the opponent. If I have a lights out guard on offense, I don't care which zone you run. Same with big men. That said, there's no player to exploit like if you run a man D. You can try to exploit groups. If you run zone, you have the flexibility to try to stop specific players IF your C can stand alone.
6/19/2017 1:43 PM
Just get good players. If you get a bad defender you want him to be good enough offensively that he can score about a point a minute when he's out there. The spot I always focused on most was small forward, I liked to try to have a guy who could swing between the 2-3 and 3-2 (good speed and block).

Something I never took enough advantage of was being able to run thinner lineups, playing more against the other teams backups, and take multiple walkons, giving you a recruiting edge. I think the players you want in a zone defense are basically the same as any other but if you run the team the same way as man or press then you're not going to get the full use out of it.
6/19/2017 1:46 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 6/19/2017 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 6/19/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Indianajoinz on 6/19/2017 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Are zones more capable of controlling how a team scores perimeter/inside?? Unlike m2m witch focuses more on the ability of individual matchups a zone is more of a team matchup which you can can move out to guard the perimeter on sink in to stop the inside. That's why i want to play zone and hoping I can be successful with it in a league that is dominated by press and m2m.

3/2 team scores more inside and 2/3 scores on the perimeter.
This is a topic on defense . How does the defense a team runs relate to how they score on offense??
Sorry just crap wording; was in a rush. Against at 3/2 team scores more inside and against a 2/3 a team scores on the perimeter.
6/19/2017 1:53 PM
I play a Zone and I have noticed that I only play 10 on most nights with fatigue settings set at 'Getting Tired' for my starters. Less depth is required to run zone, so for future seasons I will be redshirting one freshman player.
6/19/2017 3:16 PM
To clarify/sum up a couple other posts. A 3-2 is the best defense in this game against 3-pt shooting teams. And the more you go + with a 3-2 the better you'll defend against the 3. Further, a 2-3 (0) is roughly the same as running m2m at (-2) and is probably the worst way to defend the 3, but that's why zone gives you options to change between the 2 sets.
6/19/2017 4:00 PM
Yes! So as long as your big men are above average defenders you should be successful running this defense.
6/19/2017 4:06 PM
The big advantage zone gives you (IMO) is flexibility. You have flexibility in team construction on a couple different fronts, that have been mentioned by others. Since I play HCP with zone, I don't get to take advantage of the multiple walk-on strategy, but it's there if you go straight zone. But you also have the flexibility to go after guys with elite skills who may have "flaws" that can keep other teams off, and let you get them for relatively cheap. Zone is well-suited to recruit and utilize role players. A guy with exceptional point skills can thrive on offense, and be paired with a stopper at the 2 (or 3 in a 3-2) on defense, and it won't kill you. Likewise, a 5 with extreme Reb/Blk ratings but sub-par def can still be a defensive asset down low.

From a gameplanning standpoint, you also have a lot of options. If you expect your opponent to pound the low post, you can run your best 3 Reb/blk guys at 3-5 in a 2-3. If you expect him to go bombs away, you can load up on perimeter D with a 3 guard set in the 3-2. You can still cheat at -1 or -2 in a 3-2, and effectively defend the perimeter against most teams, while giving your 2 low post defenders a head start in rebounding. In a perfect world, I have a swing who can handle the 3 in both sets. In reality, I usually lean heavily one way or the other for most of the season, based on what I think my best lineup is. But theoretically, playing a zone can give you a level of unpredictability in tournament time.
6/19/2017 5:12 PM
Multiple walk on strategy?
6/19/2017 5:56 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 6/19/2017 5:12:00 PM (view original):
The big advantage zone gives you (IMO) is flexibility. You have flexibility in team construction on a couple different fronts, that have been mentioned by others. Since I play HCP with zone, I don't get to take advantage of the multiple walk-on strategy, but it's there if you go straight zone. But you also have the flexibility to go after guys with elite skills who may have "flaws" that can keep other teams off, and let you get them for relatively cheap. Zone is well-suited to recruit and utilize role players. A guy with exceptional point skills can thrive on offense, and be paired with a stopper at the 2 (or 3 in a 3-2) on defense, and it won't kill you. Likewise, a 5 with extreme Reb/Blk ratings but sub-par def can still be a defensive asset down low.

From a gameplanning standpoint, you also have a lot of options. If you expect your opponent to pound the low post, you can run your best 3 Reb/blk guys at 3-5 in a 2-3. If you expect him to go bombs away, you can load up on perimeter D with a 3 guard set in the 3-2. You can still cheat at -1 or -2 in a 3-2, and effectively defend the perimeter against most teams, while giving your 2 low post defenders a head start in rebounding. In a perfect world, I have a swing who can handle the 3 in both sets. In reality, I usually lean heavily one way or the other for most of the season, based on what I think my best lineup is. But theoretically, playing a zone can give you a level of unpredictability in tournament time.
And this about sums it all up best
6/19/2017 5:58 PM
Posted by Indianajoinz on 6/19/2017 5:56:00 PM (view original):
Multiple walk on strategy?
If you take walk ons then you get the recruiting resources for those spots the following season. You can't do it with FB/Press but you can easily do it with Zone or M2M.
6/19/2017 6:10 PM
Yeah, with zone there is zero reason to recruit 12 guys. You only need 8 if their staminas dont suck and if you're able to recruit diverse enough guys, but most will carry 9-10. Take the walk ons to load up on recruiting resources the following season.
6/19/2017 6:36 PM
Hardly anyone runs zone in Allen.. I hope I can compete
6/19/2017 9:54 PM
I run zone on my SW Baptist team - would someone take a look at my team and give their opinion on my PF situation? I would like to use Williams for his high IQ and scoring ability, but feel safer with McGinnis. I'd prefer to run a 3-2 because I think Brown's defense can still prevent a good amount of inside scoring. Is Williams too much of a liability to start him at the 4?
6/20/2017 11:47 AM
My thought is that you have enough scoring from Brown and your guards that you can use Williams as a scoring 6 man at both 3 and 4 (he's got enough guard skills to play 3 in a 3-2 at D2, IMO) and take advantage of McGinnis's rebounding as a starter. Having a sub par rebounding Big in the 3-2 can really hurt, even if the other guy is a beast like Brown.
6/20/2017 12:31 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Thoughts on def Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.