Thoughts on def Topic

Posted by shoe3 on 6/20/2017 12:31:00 PM (view original):
My thought is that you have enough scoring from Brown and your guards that you can use Williams as a scoring 6 man at both 3 and 4 (he's got enough guard skills to play 3 in a 3-2 at D2, IMO) and take advantage of McGinnis's rebounding as a starter. Having a sub par rebounding Big in the 3-2 can really hurt, even if the other guy is a beast like Brown.
Gotcha. I'll do that then; this is my first Zone team so I've kind of just been learning as I go. Before McGinnis' ratings increased last season I was playing Williams at the 4 out of necessity and had to run a 2-3, so I'm hoping the 3-2 will help me net some turnovers and prevent getting stomped by elite perimeter teams.
6/20/2017 2:27 PM
Shoemaker is better as a PF than Williams so it may not hurt to just switch them if you're fine with Shoemaker coming off the bench. That may benefit you anyway because your second line rebounding might be weak for some stretches.
6/21/2017 5:02 AM
Posted by mikvitu on 6/19/2017 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Just get good players. If you get a bad defender you want him to be good enough offensively that he can score about a point a minute when he's out there. The spot I always focused on most was small forward, I liked to try to have a guy who could swing between the 2-3 and 3-2 (good speed and block).

Something I never took enough advantage of was being able to run thinner lineups, playing more against the other teams backups, and take multiple walkons, giving you a recruiting edge. I think the players you want in a zone defense are basically the same as any other but if you run the team the same way as man or press then you're not going to get the full use out of it.
How does taking walk ons give you a recruiting edge?
6/21/2017 9:36 PM
Posted by Clenten on 6/21/2017 9:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mikvitu on 6/19/2017 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Just get good players. If you get a bad defender you want him to be good enough offensively that he can score about a point a minute when he's out there. The spot I always focused on most was small forward, I liked to try to have a guy who could swing between the 2-3 and 3-2 (good speed and block).

Something I never took enough advantage of was being able to run thinner lineups, playing more against the other teams backups, and take multiple walkons, giving you a recruiting edge. I think the players you want in a zone defense are basically the same as any other but if you run the team the same way as man or press then you're not going to get the full use out of it.
How does taking walk ons give you a recruiting edge?
You get full resources (scouting and recruiting cash) for those positions the following year...but if you have 4 open positions and know you only need to sign 1 player, you can pile on the recruiting and scout a broader area for that specific position. So people will take one or more walk-ons to try and gain an upper hand with the extra recruiting and scouting cash they get as a result, knowing full well they don't plan to try for players to fit every open slot.
6/21/2017 9:44 PM
◂ Prev 123
Thoughts on def Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.