imo it's just Portland. The order in which the decision tree is written (eye v control first, then hitting split v pitching split), in conjunction with Portland also being -4 for singles, renders him almost completely useless. His isolated discipline of .100+ is quite good, but his isolated power of .130-.160 is super-low for a power attribute of 92. Portland's park factors are -3 for doubles, -4 for triples, and -2-2 for home runs, which devastates his slugging percentage. You're losing batting average as a whole, and slugging percentage on the hits he's actually getting. Extreme parks sorta break the game. Portland substantially exaggerates the badness of his vR. If you played in somewhere like Tucson (+3+3+4+3+3) he'd obviously be much better, or even somewhere reasonable like Louisville (+2+1+1+2+1). In Tucson he would hit ~.270+ and his isolated power would double. But obviously so would your pitchers' ERA so is it worth cutting off your nose to spite your face, as they say?

The stats actually imply otherwise--- At home he is actually a very reasonable .257/.361/.381 overall (105AB) compared to away he is .184/.284/.320 overall (147AB), but vRHP overall (170AB) he is .165/.260/.253 compared to vLHP overall (82AB) he is .317/.423/.537. We're still looking at extremely small sample sizes for each of these splits, so my guess is that over time R/L will regress towards one another where R is more like .190 and L is more like .280, and home/away will regress towards one another where home is more like ~.210 and away is more like ~.245. Seems super unlucky that his production away is so ridiculously bad, unless your league also has every other terrible pitching park like Seattle and Burlington etc etc and also has every other pitcher who is a vR Terminator. Give it time I guess
6/20/2017 3:08 PM
Posted by damag on 6/19/2017 7:00:00 PM (view original):
Archie Danks is my 1B in Seattle. The highs are high (ROY, MVP finalist last season); the lows are low (.200-ish BA his other two seasons.) But even hitting .200, he still drives in runs, hits homers, and steals bases.

I think it's worth reinforcing; these types can go blazing hot for half a season, even a whole season at a time.

Last season (MVP finalist) Danks had 40 HRs and 130 RBI with a .235 average and 128 Ks, and that was hitting out of the 2 hole. And his home (Seattle) and road splits - HR, RBI, average, OPS, everything - were virtually the same.

I know that was probably more performance than I should even hope for, but that's why I made the decision to roll with a player like this. I know a lot of other owners wouldn't.

6/20/2017 4:01 PM
Posted by bripat42 on 6/20/2017 5:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Knudervalve on 6/19/2017 7:06:00 PM (view original):
I just don't see how a player with 90s contact, power and an 84 eye can struggle.
There's a common equivalent in the real world. How many times have you heard of a hitter who scouts/commentators/team officials/etc. rave about, saying things like, "the ball sounds different when it comes off his bat" or other cliches, or how many times have you heard the same people rave about the "stuff" that certain pitchers have?

And in all those instances, how often does it turn out that said players are ineffective at the major league level?

Those are your big league examples of a batter with great eye/power/contact but crummy splits.
Jason Heyward!
6/20/2017 5:46 PM
Posted by kartchy on 6/20/2017 5:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bripat42 on 6/20/2017 5:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Knudervalve on 6/19/2017 7:06:00 PM (view original):
I just don't see how a player with 90s contact, power and an 84 eye can struggle.
There's a common equivalent in the real world. How many times have you heard of a hitter who scouts/commentators/team officials/etc. rave about, saying things like, "the ball sounds different when it comes off his bat" or other cliches, or how many times have you heard the same people rave about the "stuff" that certain pitchers have?

And in all those instances, how often does it turn out that said players are ineffective at the major league level?

Those are your big league examples of a batter with great eye/power/contact but crummy splits.
Jason Heyward!
Minus the eye. He has always swung at everything.
6/20/2017 5:51 PM
This guy has been interesting

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6749729
6/21/2017 10:18 AM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.