How Do You Score This? Topic

I'm doing the book for my son's summer team. This was the final play of the game.

Bottom of the 7th (seven inning game), game tied, runner on third, one out.

Batter hits a fly ball to CF. Runner on third tags up, but leaves the base early trying to score. Third base coach calls him back to third; he returns and stays there. In the meantime, CF has caught the ball and makes what would have been a perfect throw home. Except that the base ump is standing in the middle of the infield and is right in line with the throw. He hits the deck to try to avoid the throw, but the ball hits him in the foot and deflects towards the first base line, where no defender is. Runner on third breaks for home and scores. Game over.

I'm thinking . . . it's not a sac fly, because the runner on third had abandoned his attempt to score on the caught ball and had returned to third.

So is it an E-8 on the throw?
6/21/2017 10:34 PM
F8 E8
6/21/2017 11:57 PM
Agreed. The runner advanced because the throw from the OF went errant, not due to tagging up, so F8 on the second out and E8 allowing the run to score on the throw. Sucks that the OF would get an error because the ball hits an ump, but that's just how it works on that play.
6/22/2017 12:09 PM
How Do You Score This? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.