Some D-2 Love Topic

Just a couple of guesses of why some coaches move in Wilk D-2 http://mizzoucj.wixsite.com/wilkinsoncentral/single-post/2017/06/24/Coaching-Merry-Go-Round
6/24/2017 11:02 AM (edited)
Hmmm ... says they can't find it.
6/24/2017 6:17 AM
Thanks Lyonzfan....I guess I should do these at 2 in the morning after I get off work.
6/24/2017 11:05 AM
Good write-up Keith

And thanks for the link, Lyonzfan
6/24/2017 11:25 AM
great write up
6/24/2017 3:41 PM
Good job, BKD
6/24/2017 11:14 PM
"Bored by the competition"? Ouch. Only the great coaches are at D1A is the implication? Ouch.
6/25/2017 11:29 PM
Probably meant that the general level of competition is better at 1-A than at the lower divisions.

Where a is the intangibles of what makes a coach a "good" coach (titles and such in numerical form), b is the number of coaches at that level, and c is the total level of competition:

a x b = c

At 1A level C would be larger than the other levels.

Something like that.
6/26/2017 5:26 AM (edited)
Ahhh. Something like that. Lol.
6/26/2017 12:40 AM
I'm hardly the Pulitzer Prize writer, and I don't put out much D-2 stuff but I try to provide some entertaining pieces when I do. You're more than welcome to contribute also if you feel you have a voice that needs to be heard.
6/26/2017 2:32 AM
Your writing was enjoyable and I sincerely appreciate the effort. My comment is not a personal attack and was not meant to be. My observation is what it is:

1) Competition is not predicated on level. Examples: Are the toughest professors/college degrees only at D1 schools? Are the greatest rivalries only between D1 schools? I personally know folks who are competitive even when playing at tiddly-winks. It is inherent to believe that the best float to the top at such structures, but that is not necessarily true. In fact, organizational theory could provide an argument to the opposite in many cases based on the organization structures. In this case, D3 is not the same as D2 is not the same as D1AA, etc. I could argue that some parts of D1AA are the most difficult while the same exists for D1A or even D3. Just because a coach doesn't like Jenga doesn't mean he would not be competitive at the Jenga world championships with effort/focus. He just doesn't wish to play that particular game. GD is not the same at each level. Thus, "my ouch".

2) The number of entrants into a tournament does not necessarily indicate the competition. Certainly, they dictate the number of contests in the bracket, but not the competition. The game sets the rules, then the players set the competition. I would submit that for each level, there is certainly competition although some worlds or even levels within them surely have more, but it is not predicated solely on numbers. It is based on the people. Think about it: do you.look forward to a first round game against the number 1 ranked team? Seeing gt_deuce or mfnmyers or miami_jefe or ez or bkdries or blitziscoming or cfbfan or chetty or cjsweat or dukelegend or slid64 or jmurphy or gators06 as your opposing coach BETTER get your juices flowing. If it doesn't, then why are you playing? Do you want to avoid these folks when it matters, or do you want simAI? (not the player...lol) All of those coaches are winners. They are winners for a reason, and it is not because they have no competition and the game they play is easy. Competition makes the game great not the game is great and competition sucks. IMHO. Btw, all due respect to the coaches I did not mention, it was not meant to be all inclusive. Look at HOF voting or top ten rankings in a world/level for more great coaches....etc.

3) D1 rightly gets the most coverage and perhaps respect in GD;however, I would respectfully submit that there are many GREAT coaches at each level who dominate in their respective class. I would also submit that it is not due to a lack of competition. If you think any level is more competitive then I applaud you for playing there. My experience is that there are great coaches at every level, and I wish there were more.

Again, I say this not as a challenge nor to be disrespectful to anyone who provides content or that plays at a high level. I really wanted to clear-up my "ouch" comment as it was not done well on my part. Too much burbon and too much sun....lol....

I have set the tinder, who will add the sparks?
6/26/2017 8:52 AM
I will add sparks if I can have some of your bourbon
6/26/2017 4:06 PM
Posted by strieffman on 6/26/2017 4:06:00 PM (view original):
I will add sparks if I can have some of your bourbon
Done! I was sipping hard on a burbon peach slush that I whipped up....lol...Bulleit was the brand. Peach was imported...hahahaha
6/26/2017 7:24 PM
Great write up!

As for for why I moved from Humboldt...

i had a successful run at Western New Mexico in Warner. That's a very similar job to Humboldt. It's challenging in its own way...you may be the closest to some recruits, but they could still be 800+ miles away. So it takes a certain strategy. I enjoyed it at WNMU and won a few NC's. But for whatever reason it didn't appeal to me at this time. So I moved on to Ashland to build up a program in a decent recruiting spot. Thick competition with St Joes, Winona (my old school), Findlay, etc etc
6/26/2017 9:12 PM
Some D-2 Love Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.