Signing Day D1AA Top Ten by Position Topic

Posted by nitros on 6/27/2017 12:06:00 AM (view original):

That Lehigh coach on the other hand. He had to learn the hard way that i take quality notes. He jumped on a receiver of mine around the 9th cycle.. Needless to say I grabbed the receiver and almost took his best DB.

OP bringing the pain!

nitros

Don't mess with a guy who has won 7 NCs in the last 20 seasons at that level. This is actually the 2nd time in 3 seasons I've lost a battle to a D-IAA school at Syracuse. The first time was a QB vs. Drake...the year they were a SIM.
6/27/2017 12:11 AM
OP, your recruit class is sick. Great job this year.

nitros
6/27/2017 12:20 AM

if you have some cash and good prestige at D1AA you can still win those battles.

Wha..? My education (imparted by following the forums, other coaches, sitemails from mentors, etc) tells me to NEVER fight a human coached 1-A team at a 1-AA school. Now I'm seeing that is not only NOT true, but guys like pace beating 1-A this very season.

The source of all of my problems this season recruiting was from abandoning green recruits every time a 1-A school decides to get into the fight. It happened FIVE times (a couple of times after it happening once, moving on to another recruit, and it happening again for the same position).

6/27/2017 2:34 AM
Posted by columbusbuck on 6/27/2017 2:35:00 AM (view original):

if you have some cash and good prestige at D1AA you can still win those battles.

Wha..? My education (imparted by following the forums, other coaches, sitemails from mentors, etc) tells me to NEVER fight a human coached 1-A team at a 1-AA school. Now I'm seeing that is not only NOT true, but guys like pace beating 1-A this very season.

The source of all of my problems this season recruiting was from abandoning green recruits every time a 1-A school decides to get into the fight. It happened FIVE times (a couple of times after it happening once, moving on to another recruit, and it happening again for the same position).

Pick those fights very carefully....

1. coach
2. bowl money
3. # scholarships
4. other battles
5. and is the player worth it?
6/27/2017 7:20 AM
Posted by gt_deuce on 6/26/2017 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by columbusbuck on 6/25/2017 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Personally, I detest spending thousands of dollars, beating off Sims and fellow 1-AA human coaches, turning a recruit green and then seeing it ALL go to waste because some 1-A coach didn't start recruiting until the fourth day.
It's why I am in D-IA........

So that now *I* can be the one to start on Day 4.

Just kidding. (Kinda). On a serious note, non-BCS recruiting with no bowl money was only slightly better than D-IAA recruiting with semi-high vision.
6/27/2017 8:55 AM (edited)
Obviously, matthewjohns.
6/27/2017 8:56 AM
Posted by columbusbuck on 6/27/2017 8:56:00 AM (view original):
Obviously, matthewjohns.
6/27/2017 9:29 AM
Columbus, you have to look at and weigh the existing circumstances with the D1A school that comes in. A&M had a new coach and no bowl money. He came in and nabbed a DB that was 40 miles from me. I chalked it up as a loss and moved on. Friday I had signed almost all my guys and had a lot of cash left. I saw that A&M was in a couple of battles and decided that I wanted to try to get that DB back. I knew I couldn't win a long drawn out battle with him, so I dumped all my cash on him Saturday morning. I know a lot of you feel this is a chickensh*t move, but I have lost countless players to D1A over the years and this was my chance to maybe get one back. Had he been an established coach at that school with all the bowl money from the Big 12, I would have never tried it.
6/27/2017 9:42 AM
I didn't think it was possible in any scenario. If the 1-AA school had sent 500 CV's they would still lose.
The only time it was possible was against SIMAI's, I thought (and you would have to outspend them like 3 to 1 (A LOT)).

I know differently now.
6/27/2017 10:18 AM
Posted by z32fanatic on 6/27/2017 12:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by nitros on 6/27/2017 12:06:00 AM (view original):

That Lehigh coach on the other hand. He had to learn the hard way that i take quality notes. He jumped on a receiver of mine around the 9th cycle.. Needless to say I grabbed the receiver and almost took his best DB.

OP bringing the pain!

nitros

Don't mess with a guy who has won 7 NCs in the last 20 seasons at that level. This is actually the 2nd time in 3 seasons I've lost a battle to a D-IAA school at Syracuse. The first time was a QB vs. Drake...the year they were a SIM.
Haha. I had 16 scholarships available and went into recruiting planning to take 3 SIMs to balance out my classes again. With playoff money, I had around $14K per schollie that I planned to fill. So I figured I had a fighting chance against you considering I had got on him so early and you were involved in a few battles.

That poor Lehigh coach.. He jumped on my WR when I had 12 of 13 recruits green and only battle was with Syracuse for the DL. On top of that, I hadn't jumped on a new recruit in at least 4 cycles (12 hours). I guess having been a mentor for a few guys, I've learned: "Some guys learn by listening. Some by showing." If you're going to pick a fight with me, bring your A game. I've at least earned that level of respect around here.

6/27/2017 12:11 PM (edited)
Cbuck. I think it's a good idea to try things out for yourself. Reading the forums may not give you the proper answer. Next time around, throw some action towards a recruit on D1A Sim teams and see what it takes to flip them. Then you'll have an idea what the cost is to land a player.
6/27/2017 11:54 AM
Posted by nitros on 6/27/2017 12:20:00 AM (view original):
OP, your recruit class is sick. Great job this year.

nitros
Thank you. I signed 3 guys that will bring the overall class down a bit. I had planned on those schollies going to SIMs, but I had too much $$ left over to just let it go to waste. But based on my calcs (which appear to differ from those of dukelegend) this class is off-the-charts!
6/27/2017 11:56 AM
Posted by columbusbuck on 6/27/2017 2:35:00 AM (view original):

As a general rule of thumb, your original education is true!

However, on the rare chance that everything aligns, a BCS D1A can be beaten by D1AA. Nearly everything has to fall in place for it to happen though. And this time, it did.

You have to be smart with how you're going to "defend" your recruits. Z32 said in this thread that he made a few mistakes and thus was overextended. That recruit meant more to me than to him because he's likely a D1A career backup. For me, he's a SO class, onward, starter. I noticed Z32 was a bit overextended and was lucky enough to play this one correctly. I've lost far more of these circumstances (say 90%+) than I've won.
6/27/2017 12:03 PM (edited)
Posted by phimutau on 6/27/2017 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Columbus, you have to look at and weigh the existing circumstances with the D1A school that comes in. A&M had a new coach and no bowl money. He came in and nabbed a DB that was 40 miles from me. I chalked it up as a loss and moved on. Friday I had signed almost all my guys and had a lot of cash left. I saw that A&M was in a couple of battles and decided that I wanted to try to get that DB back. I knew I couldn't win a long drawn out battle with him, so I dumped all my cash on him Saturday morning. I know a lot of you feel this is a chickensh*t move, but I have lost countless players to D1A over the years and this was my chance to maybe get one back. Had he been an established coach at that school with all the bowl money from the Big 12, I would have never tried it.
My philosophy is that if you are on a player and get knocked off, you can jump back on him at any time (even the last cycle) and it's totally fine. A lot of times people will knock me off, and I 100% plan on jumping back in on the player, but I wait a few cycles so they burn through more money.
6/27/2017 12:00 PM
Posted by phimutau on 6/27/2017 9:42:00 AM (view original):
It's not a chickensh*t move at all. And when you're considering you're a D1AA going after a D1A green, it's not even in the same realm as "chickensh*t". That level of recruit is not a significant loss for a D1A, but is a significant gain for a D1AA.

Besides, all is fair in love and war, aka recruiting!
6/27/2017 12:05 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Signing Day D1AA Top Ten by Position Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.