Baseline Prestige Explained Topic

Every now and then I see newer users asking what exactly baseline prestige is. In division 1 (and only D1) every team has a pre-determined prestige that they ultimately gravitate towards. Using this UCONN squad as an example they only dropped from an A to a C+ over the course of 3 seasons after going 1-80. After two more seasons of no post-season appearances, they stayed C+, then jumped to B+ after a FF run. Their baseline is A+ and so it's going to be much easier for them to get back into the A range with only 2nd round exits the next couple of seasons.

Conversely, let's look at Mercer, a team with a D+ baseline. The further they get from a D+, the harder it's going to be to raise their prestige. Case and point, once they hit A- they had a 3-season stretch of going 93-7, RPIs of 8, 12, and 1, and tourney runs of S16, 2nd round, NC runner-up, they're still stuck at A-. (You read that correctly, they made it to the national championship game and their prestige didn't change).

I'm not bitter or mad. When I took over Mercer I knew the uphill battle I'd be facing, but I wanted to see how well I could do in a non-big 6/non-mid major conference. The cool thing is for a couple of seasons I've qualified for every current A+ job and every A+ baseline job, but I've chosen to stay.

(But seriously, how does your prestige not change after losing in the NC game?!?!?)
6/25/2017 9:03 AM
I suspect it just hasn't been updated yet. I don't remember when it happens, but it's sometime before the jobs process.
6/25/2017 9:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it changes right after the title game. But it'll change again if you have any players drafted.
6/25/2017 10:01 AM
It changes right after the title game. It'll change a second time after the draft, if you've had a draft pick high enough to warrant the 1/3 of a letter grade bump.
6/25/2017 10:24 AM
I know it changed I got from B+ to A- in D2. So it's a bit on the ridiculous side. Darnoc, congrats on an amazing season. I wish you had won, but a NT win... Is it A+? I think you would of had A... Which is still a bit ridiculous.

If I get with the real NCAA : when Butler lost two NT championship games in a row, they probably remained A- or B+... In reality, it still was Butler, it did not attrack players more than Kentucky or Texas... It gave the team a bit more prestige but certainly not enough to catch top programs.

Since Mercer is a low tier program, it certainly is even tougher than Butler, a true mid-major.

Again, congrats though. It's fun to see a team like yours achieve so much.
6/25/2017 10:27 AM
Thanks, Zorzii. If I had won I think I would have gotten to an A, not A+.
6/25/2017 11:03 AM
As a coach of a low d1 school, my alma mater, I hate baseline prestige. That is just my biased opinion.
6/25/2017 11:11 AM
Posted by texrangers19 on 6/25/2017 11:11:00 AM (view original):
As a coach of a low d1 school, my alma mater, I hate baseline prestige. That is just my biased opinion.
Here is the Game Dev's response:

DII and DIII have no baseline prestige.

That being said, I completely understand what you mean.
6/25/2017 11:19 AM
Posted by texrangers19 on 6/25/2017 11:11:00 AM (view original):
On the whole I don't think a baseline prestige is bad but I do feel it could have been implemented better. If a program has sustained success over several seasons, say, 10+, I think their baseline should be adjusted accordingly. Similarly if an A baseline sucks for 10+ seasons they shouldn't be able to get back to B+/A- as easily as they do.
6/25/2017 12:06 PM
Nice write up darnoc. Your example illustrates a confusing concept very well.

i understand why we have baseline prestige in D1 and I appreciate it in most cases, but I do think it would be cool if there were a couple worlds that did not have it at all. A true whatif scenario, where the Mercers and Butlers of the world could supplant the Kentuckys and N. Carolinas as the blue blood dynasty programs.
6/25/2017 12:46 PM
I just went 1st round in NT and then 2nd round in NT and got my prestige to B. This season I went to the S16, still at B :-/.
6/25/2017 9:10 PM
In 2.0 the prestige was better. Robble robble robble.
6/25/2017 9:43 PM
Where can you find your base prestige?
6/26/2017 5:26 AM
Posted by geneferrell on 6/26/2017 5:26:00 AM (view original):
Where can you find your base prestige?
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=456758&page=1
6/26/2017 7:41 AM
Thanks pallas.
6/26/2017 8:03 AM
12 Next ▸
Baseline Prestige Explained Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.